Car Park

What exactly are the stewards paid to do in the car park..... Got there at 1.40 and it was a free for all. Cars going in all directions with nobody directing them. Person in front of me asked one of the stewards which way he should go only to be told "find your own place and what do you expect turning up at 1.40" whilst then leaning back against the car he was stood against smoking a tab"

My car and all cars around me are blocked in at both ends with no way at all of getting out, what happens if you have an emergency and need to leave the game early?

Then finally took an hour to get out the car park after the game. Not one parking steward in sight. I have parked in plently of other clubs car parks and they can always be a bit of a nightmare but there is always stewards trying to keep things flowing and doing there best to keep some organisation...

Edited by NIKI1234

What exactly are the stewards paid to do in the car park..... Got there at 1.40 and it was a free for all. Cars going in all directions with nobody directing them. Person in front of me asked one of the stewards which way he should go only to be told "find your own place and what do you expect turning up at 1.40" whilst then leaning back against the car he was stood against smoking a tab"

My car and all cars around me are blocked in at both ends with no way at all of getting out, what happens if you have an emergency and need to leave the game early?

Then finally took an hour to get out the car park after the game. Not one parking steward in sight. I have parked in plently of other clubs car parks and they can always be a bit of a nightmare but there is always stewards trying to keep things flowing and doing there best to keep some organisation...

An hour to get out of the car park? Jeez, what were you doing, driving with a blindfold on?! :wink:

I could see the goings on from my seat, there was a lot of cars being turned away (and I suspect many didn't bother with the game after that!), although to be fair when I got back to my car it was jam packed full, I squeezed out and got home really quickly as I left after about a minute of added time. The funniest bit was when a mini bus full of Huddersfield fans turned up and just re-opened the gates and drove in as they clearly weren't locked and the stewards must have been inside the ground :lol:

:lol:

Serious I was blocked in by four cars. Had to wait for them all to return before I could even get out my parking space and then was at the back of the queue

I normally leave my seat (RRE) 5 mins before full time and stand in the corner by the exit to watch the final death throes. Then whip out on the whistle to get out before the masses. Yesterday however, I was in the main stand, and even though I wasn't blocked in, I was in the same spot I joined the queue for 50 mins before I got out.

NEVER again. I'll street park in future.

It doesn't help that the police never assist with the flow of traffic like they used to. They often used to stand on broadway and hold the traffic up so cars could get out. Not seen them do that for years.....

I got there just in time to see the gates close (ten mins to kick off). My fault. Hunted around for a space reasonably near and gave up in the end. But I don't intend to complain cos it means there was a good attendance - Yorkshire money's worth as much at the bank... :wink:

In terms of getting out, yes the police used to direct traffic on Broadway - but they charged the club for it. These days they will only do so to help clear severe delays on the main road.

As far as I'm concerned, the club car park gives you a degree of security you don't have elsewhere, and if nothing else gives you the satisfaction that your parking fee is going into the club's coffers instead of someone else's. In turn for that, I think it's reasonable to expect to be blocked in and to have some delay getting out (let's be honest, it's usually more like 10 minutes than 50). If you need/want to get away early, park elsewhere.

I normally leave my seat (RRE) 5 mins before full time and stand in the corner by the exit to watch the final death throes. Then whip out on the whistle to get out before the masses. Yesterday however, I was in the main stand, and even though I wasn't blocked in, I was in the same spot I joined the queue for 50 mins before I got out.

NEVER again. I'll street park in future.

It doesn't help that the police never assist with the flow of traffic like they used to. They often used to stand on broadway and hold the traffic up so cars could get out. Not seen them do that for years.....

There was a police car with a couple of coppers in parked on the top of Holden Fold where it meets with Broadway. It was raining though so cock all chance of them getting out and doing anything.

I got there just in time to see the gates close (ten mins to kick off). My fault. Hunted around for a space reasonably near and gave up in the end. But I don't intend to complain cos it means there was a good attendance - Yorkshire money's worth as much at the bank... :wink:

In terms of getting out, yes the police used to direct traffic on Broadway - but they charged the club for it. These days they will only do so to help clear severe delays on the main road.

As far as I'm concerned, the club car park gives you a degree of security you don't have elsewhere, and if nothing else gives you the satisfaction that your parking fee is going into the club's coffers instead of someone else's. In turn for that, I think it's reasonable to expect to be blocked in and to have some delay getting out (let's be honest, it's usually more like 10 minutes than 50). If you need/want to get away early, park elsewhere.

Agree with all of that apart from being blocked in.. You should still be able to leave the stadium/car park during the match if there was an emergency or the need to do so.

Its no good if the car blocking you in is on a Jolly up in the exec suites and has no intentention of returning for an hour or so after the game :grin:

Guest sheridans_world
Agree with all of that apart from being blocked in.. You should still be able to leave the stadium/car park during the match if there was an emergency or the need to do so.

Its no good if the car blocking you in is on a Jolly up in the exec suites and has no intentention of returning for an hour or so after the game :grin:

Have you ever parked in latics car-park before? If you are not on the first row or the back row, you're waiting for other fans to get back...

Have you ever parked in latics car-park before? If you are not on the first row or the back row, you're waiting for other fans to get back...

Not very often tbh..... Parked on plenty of others clubs though and they are organised 10 times better than ours with the same number of stewards on hand

Guest sheridans_world
Not very often tbh..... Parked on plenty of others clubs though and they are organised 10 times better than ours with the same number of stewards on hand

Yep. Even then I think you'd struggle to get out though. Some clubs do 'stacked' (I think thats what its called) parking where cars are parked in long lines. A line at a time is released rather than the mayhem you have on BP. Its always been that way, get there early and you'll be fine or get there late and leave early and you'll be fine...

The pies, the leaking roof, the parking........ It's a clear attempt by the club to make BP seem like the Devil's own hole, and gain support for a move to Failsworth. :D

Trouble is, the football's crap as well, which won't help their cause.

On a serious note though, can the club not have any say in how the games are policed? Should you not expect to have an opinion when you're forking out for a sevice?

Out of the couple of hundred coppers on duty, surely one could have been put on point duty at the top of Sheepfoot Lane so that it didn't take 45 minutes to drive 300 yards?

All these grumbles are major factors in the reasons for people staying away, and it's time someone at the club addressed them.

I walk down as I live nearby so I'm not sure about the ins and outs of this but what about the B+Q car park? OR do B+Q not like Latics fans parking there?

Apprently because fans park in there they have started clamping down, if you aint back within either 1 hours (or might be 2 not sure), its a £60 pound fine, so i think people have stopped doing that.

There was a police car with a couple of coppers in parked on the top of Holden Fold where it meets with Broadway. It was raining though so cock all chance of them getting out and doing anything.

sounds like the apathy of the players is spreading to the stewards and the police.

If you absolutely positively know that you might get called away for an emergency (say if you are a Doctor on call) it isn't hard to arrange with the club a for a specific spot to be left open and availible (provided no one then blocks it in but if done right that shouldn't happen). I know because my Dad used to have a similar arrangement when he was on-call (not once did he need to use it to escape but he could have done if necessary). We had almost 4000 away fans there yesterday- of course the car park was going to be rammed especially as most will have come by car when the car park is rammed it does take a while to get out but that's because the stewards have to block people in to ensure they get as many people as possible in. £3 for a club car park is probably one of the cheapest around (you would be lucky to get in for double that at a lot of unofficial car parks for a lot of teams- nevermind the official ones which will be execs only). There are a lot of things wrong with the official car park at Oldham (the sheer number of pot-holes and the fact it is very badly lit for the winter games- someone will end up gettting runover if the club aren't careful) but getting out is no worse than most similar car parks. TBH considering we had a good two page thread about the parking in the surrounding area less than 2 weeks ago I don't think any regular poster has a leg to stand on if they thought the car park was too full yesterday- there are loads of other options around.

Last time I got blocked in the BP car park was when Andy Goram played for us and we got stuffed (by was it Swansea?)

Tried to get out early but could not

Ended up polishing the car inside and outside

Was immaculate by full time

What was the final score 6 - 1

Last time I got blocked in the BP car park was when Andy Goram played for us and we got stuffed (by was it Swansea?)

Tried to get out early but could not

Ended up polishing the car inside and outside

Was immaculate by full time

What was the final score 6 - 1

good guess it was Cardiff.

I've asked coppers stood around before at the Broadway junction why they don't direct the traffic, apparently they are not covered if something happens. No doubt they would be able to put a report in at the inquest, it is only a matter of time before someone gets knocked down.