Dean Brill - Are we now getting to this situation...

mentioned during the game that are we now getting to a situation where we need a man on the line for free-kicks? No confidence in him whatsoever and on Gregan's reaction two or three times yesterday neither have his team-mates. It must be hard for Greegs and Rubes (aka the (Chuckle Brothers'), ok it took them four or five games to sort themselves out but since the Bristol Rovers game they have been superb it must be so dis-heartening to see the keeper undoing all their good work. But how do you defend and not manage to give the odd free-kick away?

Perhaps Colbeck could be the 'man on the line' get him involved as it were, as he's offered nothing since his arrival, the Bantams fans said he was poor and they're so, so right so far...

Edited by oafcprozac

I said yesterday that a solution to sort out Brill's inability to set up a wall or position himself correctly at free kicks, is to put a man on the post, maybe both posts actually! It would mean we didn;t have an outlet left upfield, but I think we will just have to live with that so we stop conceeding these goals.

We either need a man on both posts at free kicks or a competent keeper.

We will inevitably give some free kicks away around the edge of the box, at the moment they are as good as a penalty for the opposition.

Simon Grayson was in the Director's box yesterday, I bet it was not lost on him how vulnerable we are from free kicks.

We either need a man on both posts at free kicks or a competent keeper.

We will inevitably give some free kicks away around the edge of the box, at the moment they are as good as a penalty for the opposition.

Simon Grayson was in the Director's box yesterday, I bet it was not lost on him how vulnerable we are from free kicks.

It's a cause for concern the manager, coaching staff and players haven't sorted this embarrassment, they have had plenty of time to do so.

As already said every team is aware of this defensive flaw and play for free kicks anywhere around 30 yards from goal.

I can only conclude Dave Penney was told on entering BP that this season he would have a budget that reflected realistic expectations of promotion this season given the sides in the league and next season would be the push. Otherwise why is the guy here? was it that the club he was at was dying on it's feet or genuine belief he could do something here? It's gotta be glaringly obvious we haven't a decent keeper and whilst we weren't at our best yesterday as a team and hence why we didn't win, Brill failed again.

I just hope that the coffers are being stocked up for the new stadium and putting a side out on the pitch to reflect new optimism that will bring.

Edited by Lags

I said yesterday that a solution to sort out Brill's inability to set up a wall or position himself correctly at free kicks, is to put a man on the post, maybe both posts actually! It would mean we didn;t have an outlet left upfield, but I think we will just have to live with that so we stop conceeding these goals.

Get some work done lol.

Perhaps Colbeck could be the 'man on the line' get him involved as it were, as he's offered nothing since his arrival, the Bantams fans said he was poor and they're so, so right so far...

I don't think Colbeck would let the ball hit him in case it hurt!!!!

Can't we get that fat lad who played in goals at Leicester last season, he looked quite good.

IMO The Keeper should set the wall but I have seen other players do it on occasion and perhaps this is something we look at.

If you have players on the line for free kicks especially ones from distance you run the risk of the trough ball being played and the guy on the line playing them all onside so its swings and roundabouts.

Best Solution get Rid of Brill in January.

The one thing that really does worry me about Brill, is that he anticipated a right footer to take the free kick and curl it in and set his wall up for that and also positioned himself for it - all wrong decisions. However, after we gave the free kick away (Hazell stupidly imo), we gave another 2 away, (Holdsworth and Casper!!!!-Yes really!!!), which fortunately went unpunished, in more or less the same area - so as bad as brills decision making was, he wasn't alone on the day.

Edited by futchers briefs