BBC slates Latics lack of ambition

But the problems of any given club are specific to that club, and rarely primarily to do with having built a new stadium.

It's a selective point, but haven't you repeatedly asked which other clubs have gone for 12k stadiums? The problems of OAFC are specific to OAFC, therefore by your own point, the comparisons you have repeatedly made are not necessarily relevant.

• Replies 125
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

From Wikipedia:

The phrase "hammer and tongs" means "with great energy and force", often phrased "to go at it with hammer and tongs". The origins of this phrase is from blacksmithing, where tongs are used during forging to hold the hot iron as it is hammered into shape.

Yeah, fair comment mate but, let's just say, it's sometimes used to describe something that people are hoping one day to read about (or watch) in the 100+ page thread on here... :lol:

Also fair comment :lol:

Screw what other clubs have done. Our aim should be financial stability. With that, eventually, will come success on the pitch. Other clubs will speculate and go bust. With our current fanbase we're not going to able to afford to pay for a squad of superstars, so we should be investing in youth, and hoping Tony P produces us some stars for the future. If we're stable off the pitch, and improving on it, the results will come, and we can start to regrow the fanbase.

I think people forget that big stadia cost more to maintain on a week to week basis. Nothing wrong with having a stadium that to start with isn't huge. As others have pointed out - even at the 12000 level we're likely to fill it less than once a season. It can be expanded - that's the key. Why gamble? Plan for the long term - we want a club our grandkids are going to be able to support, not one that goes bust trying to hit the big time too quickly.

It won't happen, Metty. Aiming for 'stability,' (which may prove to be a chimera; how many football clubs are truly stable?) and a reliance on youth, will only get us more of what we're used to (how many 'stars of the future' has the club's youth system produced in the past twenty years?) Which is why the 12000 capacity has been set. The club knows it and has settled for it. I'm not saying that stability isn't a worthy aim, but it has to be accompanied by real ambition and not mere lip-service being paid to ambition, which is what we will almost undoubtedly see. I remember the board emphasising youth and stability when Sharp was manager.

The only chance of getting out of this division and staying out of it is club ownership that will fund a quality squad that forms the core of one capable of advancing up the Championship. Only then will people steadily drift back to BP, thus boosting club coffers (and necessitating a stadium bigger than a 12000 seater.) People will say that it's unlikely to come, and they may well be right. Hence this is the basis on which the club is planning. It won't attract enough people to make the club viable, though, and the search for 'stability' will go on. And on. Throughout a stay in the lower divisons that stretches far into the future.

Edited by Corporal_Jones

It's a selective point, but haven't you repeatedly asked which other clubs have gone for 12k stadiums? The problems of OAFC are specific to OAFC, therefore by your own point, the comparisons you have repeatedly made are not necessarily relevant.

Oh never mind real. I'm off to crack open a bottle and put some soothing Dennis Brown on.

Haven't we established before that stayaways will only flock to BP if there's something special going on on the pitch?

The club has tried schemes to get more people in to watch routine third division football. It didn't work and never will.

Fair play Corp, I believe this to be largely true. We have all talked till the cows come home about the things that would improve the matchday experience and the image of the club, hopefully this new Marketing guy will go forward with all the ideas that have been put forward, and the new stadium should make the whole day out (decent food, place to have a beer with your mates, dump the offspring with Talon-features, place a bet, eat a tasty pie) much better. These things should all be done. I think personally that for the long term future of the club we should be doing everything short of sending the Child Snatcher out to get kids in, because if one in 20 stays, that is a fortune over his or her lifetime.

These things alone will not turn around he fortunes of the club or double our attendances in the foreseeable future though. Success on the pitch will.

Now, if you clear your mind and look at things afresh, you might see that a large unfilled stadium will not make the players play any better, and it may mean that we have to rely more on journeymen, kids and loanees. It may be that you cannot see that the same pound can't be spent twice, as you think the world will end unless we become the latest toy for a Sheikh, but it's still true.

This whole problem with ambition and where the club wants to be IS ALL IN YOUR MIND. Whether TTA are bleeding blue blood or are grasping money-makers, they would love to have the club filling a 16,000 seater even once in a while. What in all the world do you think their advantage is in seeking to make us the new Shrewsbury? Will that make them a fortune to sell on? You are so close to a bit of sense it makes me want to weep, but you seem to be managing to persuade others that we can never move on for want of a couple of thousand seats that could be thrown up over a summer holiday. It beggars belief.

Fair play Corp, I believe this to be largely true. We have all talked till the cows come home about the things that would improve the matchday experience and the image of the club, hopefully this new Marketing guy will go forward with all the ideas that have been put forward, and the new stadium should make the whole day out (decent food, place to have a beer with your mates, dump the offspring with Talon-features, place a bet, eat a tasty pie) much better. These things should all be done. I think personally that for the long term future of the club we should be doing everything short of sending the Child Snatcher out to get kids in, because if one in 20 stays, that is a fortune over his or her lifetime.

These things alone will not turn around he fortunes of the club or double our attendances in the foreseeable future though. Success on the pitch will.

Now, if you clear your mind and look at things afresh, you might see that a large unfilled stadium will not make the players play any better, and it may mean that we have to rely more on journeymen, kids and loanees. It may be that you cannot see that the same pound can't be spent twice, as you think the world will end unless we become the latest toy for a Sheikh, but it's still true.

This whole problem with ambition and where the club wants to be IS ALL IN YOUR MIND. Whether TTA are bleeding blue blood or are grasping money-makers, they would love to have the club filling a 16,000 seater even once in a while. What in all the world do you think their advantage is in seeking to make us the new Shrewsbury? Will that make them a fortune to sell on? You are so close to a bit of sense it makes me want to weep, but you seem to be managing to persuade others that we can never move on for want of a couple of thousand seats that could be thrown up over a summer holiday. It beggars belief.

It shouldn't beggar belief, though, as it's quite clear what's happening. I don't mind in the slightest if TTA are 'grasping money-makers' as long as they turn us into the next Bolton or Burnley. But the fact that 25% of the seating planned for the BP redevelopment was shed overnight, without any discussion whatsoever, indicates to my mind that they don't believe it can be done anymore (if they ever did.) If they thought that the kind of future they now envisage for the club necessitated a 16000 seater stadium, then that's what they'd be planning. Perhaps they don't believe they'll make a fortune selling the club on and, as others have speculated, are recouping what they can from their investment with the Failsworth project, with the idea that they've done everything that was, in the end and to their minds, achievable, and can say they've left us with a lower division club with potential to be 'sustainable' and to eventually launch Scunthorpe or Colchester-type assaults on the Championship. These can only ever be fleeting, though, as we already know, and fleeting brushes with the Championship will never result in the club extending the ground.

It shouldn't beggar belief, though, as it's quite clear what's happening. I don't mind in the slightest if TTA are 'grasping money-makers' as long as they turn us into the next Bolton or Burnley. But the fact that 25% of the seating planned for the BP redevelopment was shed overnight, without any discussion whatsoever, indicates to my mind that they don't believe it can be done anymore (if they ever did.) If they thought that the kind of future they now envisage for the club necessitated a 16000 seater stadium, then that's what they'd be planning. Perhaps they don't believe they'll make a fortune selling the club on and, as others have speculated, are recouping what they can from their investment with the Failsworth project, with the idea that they've done everything that was, in the end and to their minds, achievable, and can say they've left us with a lower division club with potential to be 'sustainable' and to eventually launch Scunthorpe or Colchester-type assaults on the Championship. These can only ever be fleeting, though, as we already know, and fleeting brushes with the Championship will never result in the club extending the ground.

Sorry to butt in at this late stage, but finally someone has said it...

If the team is challenging at the top with positive marketing and messages from the management in the press and media - even the top of League One, the fans turn up.

Does enyone remember 5,000 Latics fans at the then named JJB under Dowie? Or the 4,000+ at Stockport under Dowie? 4,000+ at Udders under Shez? Not to mention Barnsley, Maine Road, O/T, Ipswich away in the promotion decider? QPR in the play-offs?

We will soon reach 12,000 at home in 'top-of-the-table' games if we are successful. Are we planning not to be successful in that sense of the word? Is success at Latics these days, settling for what we have at the moment?

If so we are doomed to failure. I'm not a director, but surely, to aim to stand still is to invite failure in any business...

Edited by dazlatic

If the team is challenging at the top with positive marketing and messages from the management in the press and media - even the top of League One, the fans turn up.

Does enyone remember 5,000 Latics fans at the then named JJB under Dowie? Or the 4,000+ at Stockport under Dowie? 4,000+ at Udders under Shez? Not to mention Barnsley, Maine Road, O/T, Ipswich away in the promotion decider? QPR in the play-offs?

We will soon reach 12,000 at home in 'top-of-the-table' games if we are successful. Are we planning not to be successful in that sense of the word? Is success at Latics these days, settling for what we have at the moment?

If so we are doomed to failure. I'm not a director, but surely, to aim to stand still is to invite failure in any business...

I think we'll find that success will be viewed by the club as doing what it can on whatever kind of budget the new stadium makes possible. The 12000 limit on capacity means that it expects that 'success' to be in the lower divisions.

Excellent post. Another member of the "silent majority" steps forward. However, be warned: you'll be hounded off the boards by the 'happy clappers" with that kind of sensible talk...

But what were the home gates that season?

I've just been perusing the details of some clubs that have built shiny new grounds.

Southampton

Leicester

Coventry

Derby

Stoke

Darlington

Doncaster

Hull

Huddersfield

Reading

MK Dons

Swansea

Millwall

Most of these have gone for "big ambitious grounds" as you rightly say. What's the achievement record like on these big shiny ambitious grounds?

Southampton - relegated & financial problems

Leicester - relegated & financial problems

Coventry - relegated & financial problems

Derby - relegation troubles - went to the prem, came back down

Sunderland - relegation troubles - holding up

Middlesborough - relegated

Stoke - Sucess - premiership!

Darlington - oh dear - got nowhere, financially troubled

Citeh - up and down until the sheik arrived

Hull - Sucess - premiership

Huddersfield - relegated

Reading - up and down

MK Dons - 3rd division

Swansea - built new stadium after promotion to this level

Millwall - up and down - lower than when built

Well, what a rosy picture. Most have gone down a level since building "ambitious" stadiums. Perhaps a more business minded approach would have been wiser?

Southampton - Yeah, they've been a bit of a mess in recent years, they still seem to be able to spend money though and with new owners and a good team things look on thr up for them. It might take a few seasons but when they can spend £1mil on Rickie Lambert it's hard to see them staying in this division for the long haul.

Leicester....relegation troubles? And look how their revenue funded them to rocket right back out of this division and springboard them into a decent position this season, currently 6th. They spent £1mil on Wellens.

Coventry didn't move to the Ricoh Arena until like 6 years after they were relegated. Their stadium is certainly not at fault for their mediocrity recently, but perhaps staying at Highfield Rd too long is what saw them struggle in the Premiership.

Derby's troubles are pretty much footballing wise, not financial. They have a good ground, get a good attendance, they spend money on players, nothing to do with the stadium.

Sunderland - Are you really trying to convince us that they're a failure? I mean, correct me if I'm wrong but 8th in the Premiership, signing players like Darren Bent, not too shabby. Sure, they've been down, but they always go back up, any problems they have are usually down to footballing reasons. 8th in the Prem with one of the nicest stadiums in the Prem. If only Oldham were in their position.

Middlesbrough - Relegated after how long in the Prem? UEFA Cup finalists not long ago. Relegation is down to stupid buys like Alves, playing people like ALiadiere who I wouldn't even have at Oldham. As well as Southgate as a manager. Still up there in The Championship, definitely have the infrastucture to get back out of there in the next couple of seasons.

Stoke - Up and up, built steadily and are doing okay for themselves in the Premiership, not sure they'll stay up, but again this is purely footballing reasons, they've only had two season in the Prem to build. So far they're holding up very well.

Darlington - You're only example which holds water. They messed up big time in that 99/00 when they were dead cert for promotion. Stadium has wrecked them finacially.

City - Were in The Premiership when they moved into Eastlands, and were holding up quite well, got UEFA Cup football (although got the fair play award I think, not sure if they've done it through qualifying in the league or cup), but haven't really looked like going down. Ignore this money they have, even before that they've prominently left behind our division 2 days while we're still slumped here.

Hull - Division 3 to Premiership in pretty much no time. Not sure they have what it takes to stay in The Premiership, likewise I'm not sure they'd come straight back up, but they've pretty much got a solid Championship infrastructure to their club.

Huddersfield - Have had some troubles, which are now seemingly behind them. They're in a position where they can sell season tickets for £100, fill their ground pretty much and sign players for big fees.

Reading - Like Hull, solid Championship team, seemingly up there challenging for promotion. In a position to spend money.

MKDons - I wouldn't say things have gone bad for them, they're still in their infancy, but they do have money, and a decent team and will probably be up there come end of season.

Swansea - Narrowly missed out on playoffs last season, have held up very well in The Championship, big City with a decent sized fanbase. Moved in to Liberty Stadium whilst in League One. Has it helped them fund their consolidation in The Championship?

Millwall - Hasn't really benefited them, yet.

So out of all of those you have one club worse off than ours (Darlington). 1 club probably on the same level (Millwall). All the others are in a better position than us financially, fanbase wise, footballing wise and have better prospects than us.

Edited by Bring Back Pukka Pies

Southampton - Yeah, they've been a bit of a mess in recent years, they still seem to be able to spend money though and with new owners and a good team things look on thr up for them. It might take a few seasons but when they can spend £1mil on Rickie Lambert it's hard to see them staying in this division for the long haul.

Leicester....relegation troubles? And look how their revenue funded them to rocket right back out of this division and springboard them into a decent position this season, currently 6th. They spent £1mil on Wellens.

Coventry didn't move to the Ricoh Arena until like 6 years after they were relegated. Their stadium is certainly not at fault for their mediocrity recently, but perhaps staying at Highfield Rd too long is what saw them struggle in the Premiership.

Derby's troubles are pretty much footballing wise, not financial. They have a good ground, get a good attendance, they spend money on players, nothing to do with the stadium.

Sunderland - Are you really trying to convince us that they're a failure? I mean, correct me if I'm wrong but 8th in the Premiership, signing players like Darren Bent, not too shabby. Sure, they've been down, but they always go back up, any problems they have are usually down to footballing reasons. 8th in the Prem with one of the nicest stadiums in the Prem. If only Oldham were in their position.

Middlesbrough - Relegated after how long in the Prem? UEFA Cup finalists not long ago. Relegation is down to stupid buys like Alves, playing people like ALiadiere who I wouldn't even have at Oldham. As well as Southgate as a manager. Still up there in The Championship, definitely have the infrastucture to get back out of there in the next couple of seasons.

Stoke - Up and up, built steadily and are doing okay for themselves in the Premiership, not sure they'll stay up, but again this is purely footballing reasons, they've only had two season in the Prem to build. So far they're holding up very well.

Darlington - You're only example which holds water. They messed up big time in that 99/00 when they were dead cert for promotion. Stadium has wrecked them finacially.

City - Were in The Premiership when they moved into Eastlands, and were holding up quite well, got UEFA Cup football (although got fair play I think), but haven't really looked like going down. Ignore this money they have, even before that they've prominently left behind our division 2 days while we're still slumped here.

Hull - Division 3 to Premiership in pretty much no time. Not sure they have what it takes to stay in The Premiership, likewise I'm not sure they'd come dtraight back up, but they've pretty much got a solid Championship infrastructure to their club.

Huddersfield - Have had some troubles, which are now seemingly behind them. They're in a position where they can sell season tickets for £100, fill their ground pretty much and sign players for big fees.

Reading - Like Hull, solid Championship team, seemingly up there challenging for promotion. In a position to spend money.

MKDons - I wouldn't say things have gone bad for them, they're still in their infancy, but they do have money, and a decent team and will probably be up there come end of season.

Swansea - Narrowly missed out on playoffs last season, have held up very well in The Championship, big City with a decent sized fanbase. Moved in to Liberty Stadium whilst in League One. Has it helped them fund their consolidation in The Championship?

Millwall - Hasn't really benefited them.

So out of all of those you have one club worse off than ours (Darlington). 1 club probably on the same level (Millwall). All the others are in a better position than us financially, fanbase wise, footballing wise and have better prospects than us.

:imnotworthy::applause1::imnotworthy::applause1::imnotworthy::applause1::imnotworthy::applause1:

Location apart, the bottom line is that we SHOULD build a stadium with a capacity that suits the fanbase. We are not going to get crowds of 12,000 in this division.

As long as the facility is there to expand, should we attain and sustain promotion to the championship.

Even with a slight increase in attendance in a new stadium and increased revenue streams, we are not going to make enough money to acquire the standard of player to drag us out of this league. That may happen if the TTA make enough money out of the sale of the land at BP, but somehow, I don't think they'll be spending any of it on the club.

They will have a better chance of selling the club to someone with ambition if we are in a spanking stadium with good facilities and revenue potential.

City - Were in The Premiership when they moved into Eastlands, and were holding up quite well, got UEFA Cup football (although got the fair play award I think, not sure if they've done it through qualifying in the league or cup), but haven't really looked like going down. Ignore this money they have, even before that they've prominently left behind our division 2 days while we're still slumped here.

Hull - Division 3 to Premiership in pretty much no time. Not sure they have what it takes to stay in The Premiership, likewise I'm not sure they'd come straight back up, but they've pretty much got a solid Championship infrastructure to their club.

Millwall - Hasn't really benefited them.

Sothapton mayb be in a better position than us, financially, but are they in a better position than when they took the decision to build a new ground?

That's the crux of the judgement.

Nice how you say hudds and millwall - haven't benefitted/troubles behind them - they've both dropped a division since their grounds were built. Hudds can only sell cheap STs due to someone plugging the gap in revenue.

Leicester went bust so much that the league changed the rules.

You can't seriously claim any of those as successful examples of new ground initiaitives can you?

Some of the stadiums I've mentioned have been around so long it's really all water under the bridge, but I put them up for the sake of completeness, but answer this:- how many built new stadiums at this level? and how many ended up at this level after relegation with new stadiums?

I love the way you people like Real are trying to float the idea we are building a 12,000 seater for positive reasons...aka it being the right thing to do...

Ferny Fields and Oldham Arena where never going be anything less than 16,000... They where plan A... Plan B is for a 12k stadium...

We might be forced to accept a 12,000 seater stadium but it annoys me when people push the idea that plan B is the correct plan and what we should of been aiming for all along...

Edited by oafc0000

Sorry if this has been said before, but people stop coming to watch Oldham if the football team and players are crap, which incidently they are and have been for a few years!

A bit of investment on players and getting players that don't bottle it at the back end of the season, when we are in the playoffs would surely bring people back.

Sorry if this has been said before, but people stop coming to watch Oldham if the football team and players are crap, which incidently they are and have been for a few years!

A bit of investment on players and getting players that don't bottle it at the back end of the season, when we are in the playoffs would surely bring people back.

The sort of fan who stopped following us after relegation from the Prem and to a lesser extent the Championship (div 2) will no doubt only be brought back when there is a better product on the pitch / higher division is achieved.

I do not think the fans who have recently drifted away have done so due to the quality of football etc. I think other factors have lead to those people (including me) to drift away.

The sort of fan who stopped following us after relegation from the Prem and to a lesser extent the Championship (div 2) will no doubt only be brought back when there is a better product on the pitch / higher division is achieved.

I do not think the fans who have recently drifted away have done so due to the quality of football etc. I think other factors have lead to those people (including me) to drift away.

In your opinion 0000 do you think that that type of supporter will come back.......I'm not so sure if that type of supporter has gone to the likes of Sh1tty.

In your opinion 0000 do you think that that type of supporter will come back.......I'm not so sure if that type of supporter has gone to the likes of Sh1tty.

Would you ever support another team ? People might stop coming but support another team ? I doubt it...

I very much doubt many people from the Oldham area watch United or City... Yeah we see people walking around with United shirts on but I think the idea that everyone in Oldham is United or City at the expense of Oldham is totally false. I think its a simple of case of choosing not to watch Oldham because its an awful day out and the product on the pitch is crap...

Oldham has a big market... Give them a reason to spend £20 and they will come... Its not just a product on the pitch...its the WHOLE experience... Its why redevelopment is important...

Edited by oafc0000

The quality of football hasn't helped!!!

But what were the home gates that season?

Considerably higher than they are now. People were slowly drifting back to BP after the utterly demoralising experience of the past decade or so. By failing to push on the club has lost them again, and further demoralising events have seen them take not a few of those who 'kept the faith' in the Ritchie years with them.

Location apart, the bottom line is that we SHOULD build a stadium with a capacity that suits the fanbase. We are not going to get crowds of 12,000 in this division.

As long as the facility is there to expand, should we attain and sustain promotion to the championship.

You can take a horse to water, but you can't make it drink. Sigh.