Dale Stephens

Whenever I've seen him play he has always impressed me as he likes to get forward and offers a more attacking threat than our other midfielders. I would be tempted to have him on the bench for Saturday although only 6 starts for Rochdale in 3 months suggests he may not be ready for our 1st eleven.

Opinions anybody!

Gary Jones is dale's skipper and he and Kennedy have a cemented partnership, Stephens only played when Jones was injured.

Got subbed on Saturday as they were 2 down and pushed o'grady up top from wide and brought a winger on for stephens.

Very classy player if a little lightweight, would give us the creativity we need though.

i remember jarrett being played behind the lone strike before he left us and he scored a hattrick, always thought whits would suit that position but also think Stephens would because he can crack them in from any distance.

I personally would be more than a little concerned with his inability to force his way regularly into the Rochdale starting line up.

Exactly. When DP thinks he's ready or good enough, he'll play. It may perhaps be telling that consecutive managers haven't rated him enough yet to give him a shot.

He did score a great goal for Bury though once, so he must be good.

He's probably a load of arse, but it'd be good to stick him in and see. What's the worst that could happen?

We get beat. Just because we're struggling at the moment doesn't mean that if nothing drastic is changed we'll fall further and further...I'm not saying we won't if we don't change it, but if the manager who sees him play all the time (and the manager before him, and seemingly unless injuries are hitting, Keith Hill) thinks that he wouldn't improve the team...then he wouldn't improve the team.

Dale Stephens and Kieron Lee were praised to the rafters last year when Shez was in charge on the basis that people hadn't had enough of a chance to see them so assumed they were better than what we had. The manager who sees them every day knows a lot more than the fan who watches a couple of videos on YouTube, plays on FM (or sees someone play once or twice for the reserves).

Still, it'd be nice to see these guys we've paid money for, no?

If they're good enough...if Stephens isn't up to it then I'd rather the club admitted they (or Shez) had made a mistake rather than play them just to emphasise to us how daft we were to pay a fee for them.

We get beat. Just because we're struggling at the moment doesn't mean that if nothing drastic is changed we'll fall further and further...I'm not saying we won't if we don't change it, but if the manager who sees him play all the time (and the manager before him, and seemingly unless injuries are hitting, Keith Hill) thinks that he wouldn't improve the team...then he wouldn't improve the team.

Dale Stephens and Kieron Lee were praised to the rafters last year when Shez was in charge on the basis that people hadn't had enough of a chance to see them so assumed they were better than what we had. The manager who sees them every day knows a lot more than the fan who watches a couple of videos on YouTube, plays on FM (or sees someone play once or twice for the reserves).

We're not getting beat because of young kids, we're getting beat because we offer sod all going forward. Stephens is an attacking midfielder and i've seen a lot of his appearances for the club. He's done nothing wrong in my eyes and deserves a chance. (I agree with Lee, he's lightweight and just poor) But Stephens is an agressive tackler, wins the ball and looks to go forward. He deserves a run imo, certainly ahead of Whitaker. I can only comment on what I have seen of young Dale and he's a decent player that has been hampered a bit by injuries but surely he should get a go now?

We can't do any worse! Anyone who more than holds his own against the excellent Michael Johnson is worth a go.

If they're good enough...if Stephens isn't up to it then I'd rather the club admitted they (or Shez) had made a mistake rather than play them just to emphasise to us how daft we were to pay a fee for them.

How can not be up to a job they have never had the chance to fulfil? Give the lad a go. Lee got his chance at the back end of last season and failed miserbaly. Dale has yet to make a first-team appearance mainly through injury and the ludicrous decision not have a reserve team last season.

He played very well at Man City last night. Almost scored direct from a free kick on the edge of the area. Just went over.

He's tall. And he gets up into the area well.

The official report talks about him racing through the City defence, and he certainly did that.

Get him in!

:cardinal:

Forgot about the Darlo lot

Only seen him in 3 reserve games myself; so i know others on here have seen him more than me but from the 3 times i've seen him; he's looked a pretty solid midfielder who puts himself about - but fades after 60-70mins. Fitness might be an issue with him & that may be a reason why he hasn't had an extended run?

Hits a decent long pass, has a pretty useful shot on him & before he fades; he looks to be a box-running midfielder.

As some have said; just like Dr Pepper - what' the worst that can happen if he starts a few??

Though, as with KL; i do take the points of those who say that the management who work with him day to day are yet to think he worthy a spot.....

I always thought it was odd that he was signed as one for the future despite being of an age when you’d be hoping he might start to break through – I find it hard to believe he’s a year older than Eardley!

Eardley wasn't as good as Lomax though. So Stephens must be bad.

Stick him in. He might turn out to be a superstar. If he isn't, bin him off. No harm done.

===TAKE THIS OPINION WITH A PINCH OF SALT. THIS GUY RATES O'GRADY===

I'd like to see Stephens given a shot though.

===TAKE THIS OPINION WITH A PINCH OF SALT. THIS GUY RATES O'GRADY===

You're an idiot. :grin:

(Before anyone calls me out for being abusive, I've explained my stance to BBPP on about a million other forums. He's just being facetious.)