3402 Home fans For a league fixture at BP.

The borough of Oldham has a population of around 220,000. The town certainly doesn't seem smaller to me, and I've visited Colchester on quite a few occasions, and not just for football. I'd compare the size of Colchester more with somewhere like Bury, to be honest, but without being part of a very large conurbation like Greater Manchester.

The main point I was making was that in terms of the club's history Colchester are showing some ambition, while we seem to be consoldating at the level where we're currently at-and only fifteen years after the club's best ever period.

In that 220,000 you need to consider the culture of certain communities within Oldham.

• Replies 207
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Oldhams slightly smaller than Colchester I believe? Ill admit we have had a weaker history but the potential is definately there, the borough and surrounding towns have a population of 180 odd thousand, there is quite a lot of money in north essex, and we have a young chairman worth over 100 million. I like to think in time we could become as big as Ipswich in time, a solid championship side with occassional forays up into the premier league and down into league one (and believe me, Im no optimist!).

Your right in a way though, the big problem for us is our history of being "S**T." When I was growing up Colchester were a skint, unglamourous side and it will take a long time to shake that image off in the minds of the townsfolk.

good luck with that. Can't see you going up this season but maybe next

In that 220,000 you need to consider the culture of certain communities within Oldham.

Whether those of an Asian background are ever likely to regularly follow Latics is neither here nor there when you consider that Burnley, Bolton, Blackburn, Preston etc have minorities from the same cultural backgrounds and manage to attract an average attendance of anything up to five or six times that of Latics. Stockport, meanwhile, is larger than Oldham and has relatively few Asians...

The moral of the story: having minorities in a town has eff all to do with the attendances of the local football club, and achievements on the pitch everything to do with it.

Edited by Corporal_Jones

Whether those of an Asian background are ever likely to regularly follow Latics is neither here nor there when you consider that Burnley, Bolton, Blackburn, Preston etc have minorities from the same cultural backgrounds and manage to attract an average attendance of anything up to five or six times that of Latics. Stockport, meanwhile, is larger than Oldham and has relatively few Asians...

The moral of the story: having minorities in a town has eff all to do with the attendances of the local football club, and achievements on the pitch everything to do with it.

I thought he meant Shaw? :blink:

I am glad you all got the reward for going. We was happy for you all in the chat room today :)

I must admit when I heard the attendance today it made me want to go. I think I will come to the Exeter game if the weekend is free. Mainly just because the attendances have dropped to low and I feel I have a duty to come in this situation. A bit of the bug is returning after having a break as well.

Just started reading this thread and if the last 30-40 minutes were anything to go by I'd stick a deep sea diver on you getting the bug back....hesitantly

The borough of Oldham has a population of around 220,000. The town certainly doesn't seem smaller to me, and I've visited Colchester on quite a few occasions, and not just for football. I'd compare the size of Colchester more with somewhere like Bury, to be honest, but without being part of a very large conurbation like Greater Manchester.

The main point I was making was that in terms of the club's history Colchester are showing some ambition, while we seem to be consoldating at the level where we're currently at-and only fifteen years after the club's best ever period.

Mmmmmmm stones and glass houses...... :wink:

other than the afforementioned culture. going to football on a saturday afternoon is not what asians do, end of.

Which is irrelevant when you consider that Bolton, Burnley, Blackburn etc have just as many Asians residing in their boroughs and get far higher attendances than we do. Could it be that they have been doing summat right and we haven't?

Jesus, the number of times you have to explain obvious things.

Edited by Corporal_Jones

Which is irrelevant when you consider that Bolton, Burnley, Blackburn etc have just as many Asians residing in their boroughs and get far higher attendances than we do. Could it be that they have been doing summat right and we haven't?

Jesus, the number of times you have to explain obvious things.

Yup... and if you ignore the large Asian presence at Old Trafford every weekend as well..

This started as a decent topic before all the "lets meet up, you're not a real Latics fan" playground rubbish.

I think that the OP was right. The attendance (of which I was one and my son was another) was extreemly poor. Why aren't people going? Probably for a few reasons. Money is tight, run up to Christmas, bad weather, swine flu, poor recent performances, no goals in last 3 games, don't like the stands they now have to sit in, don't trust the owners, don't support Failsworth......there are a multitude of reasons.

What is clear however, that something has changed in recent months. Many regulars just can't be arsed going anymore. I personally think that the heart and soul was ripped out of the club when the Lookers stand was torn down (in my view prematurely). It leaves many people disconcerted with how valued they are by he club, add to this, the fact that no-one was consulted about moving away from the BP site into Failsworth, and I think may people have decided that they have enough reasons now to spend (low cost, high value way to spend your time and not money).

I am also considering just doing away matches in the future. Its a much better craic and you feel much more appreciated.

People can talk economics and justify the life out of the reasons why you should go to the game and why you should support a move away from the BP site, but football is about PASSION, not just MONEY and if people dont like going to the match, they wont bloody well go.

........end of ramble.......

This started as a decent topic before all the "lets meet up, you're not a real Latics fan" playground rubbish.

I think that the OP was right. The attendance (of which I was one and my son was another) was extreemly poor. Why aren't people going? Probably for a few reasons. Money is tight, run up to Christmas, bad weather, swine flu, poor recent performances, no goals in last 3 games, don't like the stands they now have to sit in, don't trust the owners, don't support Failsworth......there are a multitude of reasons.

What is clear however, that something has changed in recent months. Many regulars just can't be arsed going anymore. I personally think that the heart and soul was ripped out of the club when the Lookers stand was torn down (in my view prematurely). It leaves many people disconcerted with how valued they are by he club, add to this, the fact that no-one was consulted about moving away from the BP site into Failsworth, and I think may people have decided that they have enough reasons now to spend (low cost, high value way to spend your time and not money).

I am also considering just doing away matches in the future. Its a much better craic and you feel much more appreciated.

People can talk economics and justify the life out of the reasons why you should go to the game and why you should support a move away from the BP site, but football is about PASSION, not just MONEY and if people dont like going to the match, they wont bloody well go.

Very true post...

I suspect that the club has taken the attitude that 'it will get worse before it gets better,' in the hope that Failsworth revives the clubs fortunes and sees attendances rise again.

Which makes the whole thing a massive gamble.