3402 Home fans For a league fixture at BP.

Does she have big tits? I might have a shave and go stalking in Essex.

What you might not see on the way to the ground is that it actually is a fairly posh area round Boundary Park, it's all quiet streets with bungalows off to the side. It's no big deal not being near a station, it's on a main road and near a motorway junction. Northerners drive. In any case the owners are building the club I think rather than selling the land so it's not dependant on current land values what it will earn. The new site is in Oldham, albeit on the "Boundary." It's an affordable site and we are looking forward to seeing what plans for income generation are bolted on, it will be a blow to leave but I think all things considered it will be for the best

I wouldnt bother, we live in Reading :wink:

And yeah, I suppose thats something that comes from working in London. Trust me, start working in central London and you will develop a manic desire to live as close to a station as possible.

And Lookers Carl, I suppose people probably did say we lacked ambition but I think its rubbish to be honest. We always averaged 3,000 ish till the last few seasons at layer road, there was no need to build a bigger stadium, it would just be a white elephant. We can expand up to 20,000+ if need be (which it never will be IMO) so the possibility is there. Id say that you just have to make sure you can expand a stadium, rather than going for big new one you wont fill. At the end of the day the council built our new stadium anyway so its not like we really had a say in how big it was.

And Id just say seriously guys, be careful what you wish for with a new stadium. Before you know it you will be at some corporate wankfest of a stadium, sat down and looking around wondering how the hell you ended up paying 20 quid for zero atmosphere except for some tit in an eagle costume.

• Replies 207
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

it is also on the doorstep of Royal Oldham Hospital. I would imagine at least some of the dwellings built will be Key Worker homes.

I think that has to happen doesn't it- I remember reading about some woman from Cornwall who gets to live in £450k house for £150k because she is a local (and not some banker with a second home) in the Sunday Times.

Being near a hospital is also quite useful in putting up the price of property (doctors and the like can often be lazy enough to fancy paying a bit more to be able to walk to work).

I wouldnt bother, we live in Reading :wink:

And yeah, I suppose thats something that comes from working in London. Trust me, start working in central London and you will develop a manic desire to live as close to a station as possible.

I live in Balham and work in Croydon, I understand!

And Id just say seriously guys, be careful what you wish for with a new stadium. Before you know it you will be at some corporate wankfest of a stadium, sat down and looking around wondering how the hell you ended up paying 20 quid for zero atmosphere except for some tit in an eagle costume.

Zorrro will take offence at that, and Selhurst is a bit run down anyway.

My costume is beautiful, thank you very much. ron.gif

Ha ha! I noticed they had some do on in the Whitgift on on Friday with that manky Eagle (actually, two of him :unsure: ) mincing around trying to interest kids truanting around the town centre into going to the game, so best wear a stab vest next time you pop in there :wink:

Ha ha! I noticed they had some do on in the Whitgift on on Friday with that manky Eagle (actually, two of him :unsure: ) mincing around trying to interest kids truanting around the town centre into going to the game, so best wear a stab vest next time you pop in there :wink:

Can't have been me. I work in Putney, dahling. You, however, work in Croydon and were in the Whitgift at the time... :detectivegm0:

I post on here and read comments to gauge other fans opinions and discuss them and enjoy the banter.

Nobody last night went over the top really it just slipped a bit.

I for one don’t take these posts to heart, its like the comedian who was on live at the Apollo recently said ( I forget his name) “so what if you get offended what actually happens to you… nothing!” Lol

If I was a person of a nervous disposition I would have a pseudonym and hide as soon as I post, but I am not so hey ho.

ANYWAY

I am going supporting the lads on the road this year and may well go to the odd game at boundary park that’s my choice.

I was at 40 odd league games of ours last year so the only thing that niggled me was that my opinion was invalid according to some because I didn’t go on Saturday? I just laughed it off and here we are.

* - although I've been in attendance when we've had less than 3k in the division above we're in now. Difference was....the owners didnt actively want to asset strip us and feck off. Suck up their lies people, suck 'em up

We had less than 3k in the division above only once, if I remember correctly. It was, however, in an era when attendances were much lower right across football.

It's amazing how many fans don't seem to realise how critical the current situation, when the hardcore support is melting away, will prove to be.

Scunthorpe & Stoke don't count!

Scunthorpe moved into a new ground and it was one of the first purpose built ones since ww2.

They didn't have any success Immediately after moving and it took them nearly ten years to get promotion so why are they an easy choice?.

Furthermore, the last thing the club needs to do is emulate an historically smaller club like Scunthorpe. It needs to emulate Bolton or Burnley.

But it won't. It's too late. Incompetence at all levels has done for us. Watch Scunthorpe sink like a stone when their bubble bursts. Copying them, we won't even have the bubble, though.

BP is wonderful really, the same old ground, character etc it's just the people that frequent it every home game. Far too negative, far too hostile and for that a complete waste of an afternoon.

Everyone is against one another, fighting with each other. I remember when latics fans used to get along and when times were bad they laughed and joked about it. Everyone is far too serious. I haven't been all season, I love OAFC but I won't go when it's like how it is.

BP is wonderful really, the same old ground, character etc it's just the people that frequent it every home game. Far too negative, far too hostile and for that a complete waste of an afternoon.

Everyone is against one another, fighting with each other. I remember when latics fans used to get along and when times were bad they laughed and joked about it. Everyone is far too serious. I haven't been all season, I love OAFC but I won't go when it's like how it is.

One of the points I raised...

All these different reasons for not going...

All that matters in the end is that most of those who stop going gradually get to realise that they quite like not going. It takes something spectacular happening on the pitch to get them back on anything like as regular basis as before. Or even at all.

I think the club knows they have lost control of the situation, hence the planning of a small stadium. We are looking at a future where 7000 will be viewed as a bumper crowd.

All these different reasons for not going...

All that matters in the end is that most of those who stop going gradually get to realise that they quite like not going. It takes something spectacular happening on the pitch to get them back on anything like as regular basis as before. Or even at all.

I think the club knows they have lost control of the situation, hence the planning of a small stadium. We are looking at a future where 7000 will be viewed as a bumper crowd.

For me it's not gonna take something spectacular to get me back. I just want to enjoy going to a football match again. Win, lose or draw.

For me it's not gonna take something spectacular to get me back. I just want to enjoy going to a football match again. Win, lose or draw.

You should have been there on Saturday, I had a great time! No boos at half time, very little moaning throughout the game, people were shouting & singing and getting behind the team, hardly anyone left before the end and we saw an equaliser from our new young teenage striker. Can't argue with that for about £13 quid.

Heres a question for you CatkinCUFC of which I am sure the answer will be of interest to many on here.

When it was announced you were getting your new stadium, with a capacity of 10k, did anyone accuse the club of lacking ambition (ie the stadium size reflects that we only intend to be a lower division club with no intention of establishing yourselves in the championship), or were they happy with the proposals?

The two situations are entirely different. Colchester has a far smaller population than Oldham, and their wider catchement area is also considerably smaller. They became a league club relatively recently. They do not rely on a generation of fans for whom football in the second tier was the norm when they were growing up, and who experienced the PL days and cup finals and semi-finals. They have, I suspect, rarely if ever attracted an average gate of over 6000 except during their recent Championship days. They do not have a number of local rivals who, despite being in similar towns, have managed to leave them far behind.

It is no insult to say that those Championship days were, for Colchester, akin to our PL days. 10000 certainly isn't lack of ambition for a club with Colchester's history. They have not built a stadium smaller than the one they already had. They have, in actual fact, shown some degree of ambition.

I love going to BP on a Saturday, ppl expect too much from the team, we've always been rubbish, thats why its more enjoyable if we win.

All the moaners should support united or city. I've been going since the early seventies (my big brother took me when I was little), and the chaddy end's not changed that much, except for less singing and more negativity, but everyone in Oldham seems to be on a downer at the moment, probably cos of the recession. I go to latics to forget all that and enjoy a couple of hours with my son. PPL should see it for what it is.

I love going to BP on a Saturday, ppl expect too much from the team, we've always been rubbish, thats why its more enjoyable if we win.

All the moaners should support united or city. I've been going since the early seventies (my big brother took me when I was little), and the chaddy end's not changed that much, except for less singing and more negativity, but everyone in Oldham seems to be on a downer at the moment, probably cos of the recession. I go to latics to forget all that and enjoy a couple of hours with my son. PPL should see it for what it is.

It isn't because of the recession that people at BP are on a downer. It's the sense of drift created by the abject decline over the past fifteen years, and the recent false dawns. Perhaps you can add a widespread realisation that this is as good as it gets now.

Edited by Corporal_Jones

It isn't because of the recession that people at BP are on a downer. It's the sense of drift created by the abject decline over the past fifteen years, and the recent false dawns. Perhaps you can add a widespread realisation that this is as good as it gets now.

It probably is as good as it gets unless moneys pumped in. BUT there is always the outside chance that it could be better (team gels together, couple of superstar kids come through etc), thats why I go, and probably why most ppl support there local team and not one of the big clubs.

Its going to be very strange driving to failsworth, just won't feel right.

It probably is as good as it gets unless moneys pumped in. BUT there is always the outside chance that it could be better (team gels together, couple of superstar kids come through etc), thats why I go, and probably why most ppl support there local team and not one of the big clubs.

Its going to be very strange driving to failsworth, just won't feel right.

Fair enough, although I'd add that most of the last fifteen years or so tell us that it's very much an outside chance.

The two situations are entirely different. Colchester has a far smaller population than Oldham, and their wider catchement area is also considerably smaller. They became a league club relatively recently. They do not rely on a generation of fans for whom football in the second tier was the norm when they were growing up, and who experienced the PL days and cup finals and semi-finals. They have, I suspect, rarely if ever attracted an average gate of over 6000 except during their recent Championship days. They do not have a number of local rivals who, despite being in similar towns, have managed to leave them far behind.

It is no insult to say that those Championship days were, for Colchester, akin to our PL days. 10000 certainly isn't lack of ambition for a club with Colchester's history. They have not built a stadium smaller than the one they already had. They have, in actual fact, shown some degree of ambition.

Oldhams slightly smaller than Colchester I believe? Ill admit we have had a weaker history but the potential is definately there, the borough and surrounding towns have a population of 180 odd thousand, there is quite a lot of money in north essex, and we have a young chairman worth over 100 million. I like to think in time we could become as big as Ipswich in time, a solid championship side with occassional forays up into the premier league and down into league one (and believe me, Im no optimist!).

Your right in a way though, the big problem for us is our history of being "S**T." When I was growing up Colchester were a skint, unglamourous side and it will take a long time to shake that image off in the minds of the townsfolk.

Just to clarify Corp that wasnt a pop at you as such, or an attempt to try to get someone to post an argument to counter the points you often make. I agree with your points largely, I was just trying to see what Colchester fans thought re their stadium design/capacity and how it reflected their ambitions.

Oldhams slightly smaller than Colchester I believe? Ill admit we have had a weaker history but the potential is definately there, the borough and surrounding towns have a population of 180 odd thousand, there is quite a lot of money in north essex, and we have a young chairman worth over 100 million. I like to think in time we could become as big as Ipswich in time, a solid championship side with occassional forays up into the premier league and down into league one (and believe me, Im no optimist!).

Your right in a way though, the big problem for us is our history of being "S**T." When I was growing up Colchester were a skint, unglamourous side and it will take a long time to shake that image off in the minds of the townsfolk.

The borough of Oldham has a population of around 220,000. The town certainly doesn't seem smaller to me, and I've visited Colchester on quite a few occasions, and not just for football. I'd compare the size of Colchester more with somewhere like Bury, to be honest, but without being part of a very large conurbation like Greater Manchester.

The main point I was making was that in terms of the club's history Colchester are showing some ambition, while we seem to be consoldating at the level where we're currently at-and only fifteen years after the club's best ever period.

Like I said last night, too much ale. Pathetic.

Damn it there was willy waving and I missed it......ye gods what has the world come to and on a website as well - technology eh!!!

Just get yer arses/willies down to BP please.....lets get supporting chaps and chapesses..... I am feeling very eurphoric still after Satuday....My crystal ball is slightly wobbley...but I am feeling we are on the cusp of big things on the pitch.

I may have a heart attack before the end of the season like....but I am gonna be there regardless...

More wins please Santa....