Season Tickets next season.

Should latics take a leaf out of Huddersfields and Bradfords book and give us fans half price season tickets next season. Bradford got over 12000 yesterday and Hudds over 13000. I would buy a season ticket whatever the price, but I know a few who will not be renewing next year because of the price. Maybe trying something like this or similar would tempt the stay away fans back. I think Blackburn cost 180ish quid this year as well. They need to try something because the attendance yesterday was a disgrace. Maybe this is why a new marketing manager has come in.

Should latics take a leaf out of Huddersfields and Bradfords book and give us fans half price season tickets next season. Bradford got over 12000 yesterday and Hudds over 13000. I would buy a season ticket whatever the price, but I know a few who will not be renewing next year because of the price. Maybe trying something like this or similar would tempt the stay away fans back. I think Blackburn cost 180ish quid this year as well. They need to try something because the attendance yesterday was a disgrace. Maybe this is why a new marketing manager has come in.

Agree.

I have advocated a scheme similar to Bradford's be implemented at Latics in the last 2 or 3 years, BUT the circumstances have changed now (no Lookers - reduced capacity & recession & even less interest in Latics due to poor performances at home) and I don't think even 150 quid season tickets would sell that well....

Not saying we will sell 10000 ST, but with a good deal we could aim for 5 - 6 thousand, better than the current 3000

The problem is 3000 season tickets at £300 = £900,000 so that means we would have to shift 6000 season tickets not to record a loss at £150. With only 3500 fans bothering yesterday, I think it's a gamble the club is not willing to make.

It depends really, if you sell season tickets at £150 but pay on the day prices are £20 a fair few exiles might have one, plus those people who know that they won't be able to make midweek games or occassional Saturdays due to work. I know I would. But would it make up the difference in loss revenue- I doubt it, as doing it would mean less money throughout the year. The balance has got to be right- we may have some of the more expensive season tickets around including comparing us to some teams in the Prem but we have quite cheap seats at £18 (pre-brought) for pick and choose customers. We could realistically get rid of the pre-brought price drop, as that mainly benefits away fans drop season tickets prices a bit and maybe even put up prices for some of the big games (Leeds' 2500 or more paying an extra £5 would make us more money- £12500). I think compared to some other clubs we could make more money from away fans than we are doing presently.

I think a lot of Oldham fans who pick and choose their games will still come to the likes of Hudds, Trannies and Leeds if the pay on the price was £5 more and that way we make more money of those away fans.

OK. 4500 ST sales is realistic I think. I am not saying charge 150 quid or 180 quid. Anything under 250 quid will be a good deal. So say £220 for next season x 4500 = £1030500 . With the right promotion this could well be achieved, and nearly £100 less than this year. We have got to try and tempt the stay aways back

Guest sheridans_world
It's the loss of pay on the day cash you have to account for, not just the amount taken on STs

This plus the fact that the refreshments are managed by an outside company invariably meaning that even if the gate did double I think it's highly unlikely that Latics profit from catering would double.

And.

The programme isnt worth £3.00. I used to buy one every game and thought that £2.50 was a bit of a push but still bought them. I think I've bought two so far this season...

However, there are pro's. If the team is performing, season ticket holders may bring friends with them as there is a larger catchment of friends between 8000 fans compared to 4000 fans. So there may still be some element of pay-on-the day. Also, replica shirt sales may increase (if the club ever gets them in stock) as more people would be going down to the club shop.

All of that said, I doubt the club could run on half-price tickets...

how about this...

first x500 season tickets sold for £150

next x2000 sold for £200

next x2000 for £250

next x1000 for £300

the rest at normal price

then the aim is to sell those discounted ticket from march 2010.

Renewals would take up all the £150/£200 tickets, effectively losing £275k on those sales without attrracting anyone new.

Would new people buy a ST at £250 when they see renewals at £150/£200? Would anyone pay £300 to push the numbers above 4500, when STs are not much more than that now? (£308 in RRE?)

The average price on that scheme is £230, wouldn't it be better to do an offer of £230 a ticket if we sell 5500, that way there's less risk of ending up with 2500 sold and losing £275k in revenue.

In truth, that wouldn't be much different from the £70 back if we sell 4500, except it would require higher sales.

I think there are 2 ways to market a lower price/higher sales system:-

1. Set the maximum price and offer reductions as sales pass set levels - e.g £300 for up to 3000 STs, £10 off for every 500 extra sales, down to £250 for 5500. (3000 sales gets £900k; 5500 gets £1,275k).

2. Offer the same system as last season, but allow people to opt to buy only if the trigger point is reached. e.g £300 max price; but £250 if we reach 5500 (just to keep the models the same).

Regular STs pay their £300 anyway, but will get £50 back if we hit 5500; others can buy at £300 if they wish, or can pay £250 and will get a ST if we hit 5500, or can choose a refund, or a book of 16 flexible match tickets (works out £15.62 a game). Maybe give those that pay £300 an extra £5 back as a reward for their commitment?

"Renewals would take up all the £150/£200 tickets, effectively losing £275k on those sales without attrracting anyone new."

not really.the scheme would be open on a first come first served basis, the existing season ticket holders will have their normal time of lieu to secure their regular seats.

But wouldn't 2000 people apply on day 1?

How would you decide who gets the £150 ones?

What about people who apply by post or just drop off an envelope with all their stuff in?

I'm fairly certain at least 2000 people could state now that they will be getting a ST next season, so they'd all want to have the best deal.

And if we can't sell over 3000 STs at £300 now, why would anyone buy at £300 once we'd sold 4500?

It's the numbers above 3000 that are the problem, not the first 1500 tickets.

But wouldn't 2000 people apply on day 1?

yep...and thats the whole point-generate interest..and the cash will be in the latics coffers 2-3 months earlier than usual -start sale in early march 2010

How would you decide who gets the £150 ones?

half go on public sale, half go on phone/online sales ..first come first served.

What about people who apply by post or just drop off an envelope with all their stuff in?

as above

I'm fairly certain at least 2000 people could state now that they will be getting a ST next season, so they'd all want to have the best deal.

tough..first come first served..its an open offer.

And if we can't sell over 3000 STs at £300 now, why would anyone buy at £300 once we'd sold 4500?

i'd wager that 1500-2000+ season tickets sold would be from fans who have not got one through a variety of reasons,if they knew they could get one at £150 / £200 / £250.

It's the numbers above 3000 that are the problem, not the first 1500 tickets.

have a cut off date..say end of july, and they go on sale for normal prices...even at £300, you would still be saving £30 on this seasons prices.

oh..these would be adult only season tickets included in this offer..

this was a 1 minute thought of suggestion.

the figures suggested aren't exact,i'll let the proper financial types do the sums.

this was a 1 minute thought of suggestion.

the figures suggested aren't exact,i'll let the proper financial types do the sums.

That brings it back towards an idea I was thinking on - sell at full price, but you buy by a certain day you get entered into a draw. Say, one in ten get the full price back, or 500 get half back, or... You could arrange it any way you fancied. It would be a reason for people to have a punt on a full price ticket, if you were thinking of it and you had say a one in five chance of getting something back? People like a gamble

That brings it back towards an idea I was thinking on - sell at full price, but you buy by a certain day you get entered into a draw. Say, one in ten get the full price back, or 500 get half back, or... You could arrange it any way you fancied. It would be a reason for people to have a punt on a full price ticket, if you were thinking of it and you had say a one in five chance of getting something back? People like a gamble

That's a good idea on paper! However, this a £300 punt we are talking about, not a £10 bet down the local bookies! I'm not sure how many new punters this would attract. The diehards would love it though.

I think in these hard times a price reduction is the only way ahead coupled with something to get excited about on the pitch and improved matchday experience!

Edited by laticsmad