Chris O'grady

Are we getting that desperate for forwards now that we are thinking of bringing him back in?

I'm not fussed at his goalscoring record here. Many strikers will not score due to bad luck, lack of help, whatever. However, not many will have ONE shot on target in sixteen games.

He's at best Fourth division rubbish. I reckon Dale will ditch him soon in all reality, and he'll end up nowhere.

I blame Sheridan for this. It's not often I do, but he chased him down and brought him in. I kind of feel sorry to an extent for O'Grady for that. But, not too much as if it is not meant to be, it just isn't. i don't think it is lack of effort - just ability.

He's the second top scorer in a team that is second in the fourth division and currently playing far better football than us.

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

He's got a decent scoring record against crap defences. The post somewhere above about there not being a big gap between L1 and L2...last year was an anomaly with two well financed sides coming up and ending up in the top six...look at the sides that have come up this year - 14th, 15th, 18th and 22nd, and I'd be surprised if more than one finished any higher than that.

He's playing against rubbish and scoring a few, but he was bobbins for us and got shipped out, and was bobbins for Stockport, Stuart McCall didn't even want him in his 16 and he did an excellent job warming Bury's bench. I'll stand to be corrected but IIRC his goalscoring record for Rotherham was hardly top notch (and again, against crap defences).

He's the kind of player you'd have in if you were allowed 12 players, because he can hold the ball up well. But I'm sorry, in a striker (especially in a team struggling for goals), you need someone who can score at this level. COG has shown so far that he can't. Would rather we cut our losses than waste time giving him another shot.

And as for the stuff about managers not always being right...well yes, but they know a damn sight more than we do. They see the player every day (not just once or twice for the reserves), and know what they're capable of. If John Sheridan, Dave Penney, Jim Gannon, Stuart McCall and Alan Knill think he's not up to much, but Keith Hill thinks he is, then let him have him. If it's a mistake in the end and he comes good then fine, but I know whose side the odds favour.

Absence certainly seems to make the heart grow fonder for Latics fans. We had the same thing with Craig Davies last year, who looked like he couldn't score in a brothel...went away and suddenly everyone wanted him back. He came back and was just as toothless (poor choice of phrase :wink:) as he was before.

I could go through your post putting things in bold and then making a comment.

However, i disagree with pretty much everythin you say. Apart from the bit about Davies.

He's got a decent scoring record against crap defences. The post somewhere above about there not being a big gap between L1 and L2...last year was an anomaly with two well financed sides coming up and ending up in the top six...look at the sides that have come up this year - 14th, 15th, 18th and 22nd, and I'd be surprised if more than one finished any higher than that.

He's playing against rubbish and scoring a few, but he was bobbins for us and got shipped out, and was bobbins for Stockport, Stuart McCall didn't even want him in his 16 and he did an excellent job warming Bury's bench. I'll stand to be corrected but IIRC his goalscoring record for Rotherham was hardly top notch (and again, against crap defences).

He's the kind of player you'd have in if you were allowed 12 players, because he can hold the ball up well. But I'm sorry, in a striker (especially in a team struggling for goals), you need someone who can score at this level. COG has shown so far that he can't. Would rather we cut our losses than waste time giving him another shot.

And as for the stuff about managers not always being right...well yes, but they know a damn sight more than we do. They see the player every day (not just once or twice for the reserves), and know what they're capable of. If John Sheridan, Dave Penney, Jim Gannon, Stuart McCall and Alan Knill think he's not up to much, but Keith Hill thinks he is, then let him have him. If it's a mistake in the end and he comes good then fine, but I know whose side the odds favour.

Absence certainly seems to make the heart grow fonder for Latics fans. We had the same thing with Craig Davies last year, who looked like he couldn't score in a brothel...went away and suddenly everyone wanted him back. He came back and was just as toothless (poor choice of phrase :wink:) as he was before.

Not saying we didnt do the right thing but didnt Davies go out on loan to another team in our division and score 6 in 7? I an see why people may have wanted him back..then when he came back by all accounts he looked sharp in his 2 sub appearances then got shipped off to Brighton?

Its a funny game football.

I'd wager its Davies attitude rather than footballing ability or goal scoring which has led to him being shown the door at numerous clubs.

I could go through your post putting things in bold and then making a comment.

However, i disagree with pretty much everythin you say. Apart from the bit about Davies.

Fair shout :lol:

Always amazing how fans can see things so completely differently...

And as for the stuff about managers not always being right...well yes, but they know a damn sight more than we do. They see the player every day (not just once or twice for the reserves), and know what they're capable of

Joe Royle saw Neil Redfearn every day, but left him out of the team many times when his ability warranted a regular spot, this shows there is sometimes more to a managers thinking than the ability of a player.

Incidentally, Nick Blackman has scored 3 goals in 26 appearances for lower division clubs and hardly looked threatening at Latics, do we write him off too ?.

Edited by BP1960

Managers in football are like those in any other business, some are good some are not, we have all worked with those who give the impression they have superior knowlege to their staff when in fact they are lucky to be where they and bluff their way though.

I have worked for a few of those in and out of football I can tell you.

Sam Allardyce?

In terms of O'Grady, he has a lot of natural ability for a centre crash.

However, whenever I have seen him, he lacks 1 main trait. He doesn't gamble. He doesn't read balls coming into the box and that "yard" is lacking from his game once he is in the box (Is that 1 or 3 :lol: )

The goals I have seen him score for Dale seem to be from mistakes like the winner against Notts County on Tuesday night where the 2 centre halves took each other out on the edge of the centre circle.

Can you coach/teach that yard that is missing from his game? If so, he will become a more than useful player at this and League 2 level. However, Championship level? I am not sure about that

Cheers,

Harry

He played 31 games at this level last season and scored 2. Include the games he played in League Two last season and that's 10 more games and no more goals.

And started??? Enough said...

Darren Byfield's :censored: too apparently according to our lot but enjoyed assisting in dicking us on Tuesday...we're good at this game...Heffernan....booooooo! You've not pulled on your shirt yet...but fecking boooooo!

And started??? Enough said...

Darren Byfield's :censored: too apparently according to our lot but enjoyed assisting in dicking us on Tuesday...we're good at this game...Heffernan....booooooo! You've not pulled on your shirt yet...but fecking boooooo!

I can see Heffernan being classed as :censored: in a couple of weeks on here I really can. :lol:

It's not the games he has started, it's not the goals he has scored, it's not the one shot on target in 31 games...

It's that he's looked :censored: for all bar three seconds in that time. Are we suddenly not allowed to judge a player?

Not after a few sub appearances for us,

judge him off his rotherham and rochdale performances where he has played regularly, STARTING games

Not after a few sub appearances for us,

judge him off his rotherham and rochdale performances where he has played regularly, STARTING games

I have to admit I've not seen him playing for other teams other than the game on Sky.

But he has played 13 games for us and been poor.

His best game was probably at the 3-3 draw at Hartlepool, where he did well, but really, what percentage of games should he perform in before being deemed alright? Certainly not enough so far off what I've seen.

This is taking aside that fourth division sides have thought he isn't good enough.

What I found odd last season was that Shez seemed to have decided that COG, Davies and Hughes and probably Alessandra too were going to be the main strikers. He even started COG and Davies in the first couple of games and then by Christmas 2 of them had been out on loan already. Did he really misjudge their abilities that much or is it problems behind the scenes. I cant think that there are too many clubs out there who get things that wrong.

We shouldn't forget that we are watching football in the third tier of professional football, none of the players that we see are the complete article.... otherwise they would be in the top level. It why most of the players that fall down to our league from the top level at the end of their careers look 'different class' in the way Shez did when he came.

Sure O'Grady has his faults, he's no Drogba, but it seems hard to beleive he's not worth a run our side after doing so well at Dale, and especially considering we have lost Pav. Bring him back when you can Dave and give him a go, his getting regular games and his confidence must be high, lets give him a go..... if it doesn't work, we know a club who will gladly take him off our hands.

I have to admit I've not seen him playing for other teams other than the game on Sky.

But he has played 13 games for us and been poor.

His best game was probably at the 3-3 draw at Hartlepool, where he did well, but really, what percentage of games should he perform in before being deemed alright? Certainly not enough so far off what I've seen.

This is taking aside that fourth division sides have thought he isn't good enough.

You weren't at Tranmere or Leeds away last season then. He also faired well at Stockport in the first half and we could've been 3 or 4 up until the defence capitulated. I presume games like Burnley away, playing him upfront on his own (a shocking Shez idea) is something to judge him on too? Until he gets a proper run for us, I don't think he's ever had a proper chance.

You weren't at Tranmere or Leeds away last season then. He also faired well at Stockport in the first half and we could've been 3 or 4 up until the defence capitulated. I presume games like Burnley away, playing him upfront on his own (a shocking Shez idea) is something to judge him on too? Until he gets a proper run for us, I don't think he's ever had a proper chance.

Not to mention his clear MOTM performance against, erm, somebody at home last season.

Burnley away was terrible ,

cant believe we stuck COG up top on his own for the whole game, shocking decision that was

Burnley away was terrible ,

cant believe we stuck COG up top on his own for the whole game, shocking decision that was

should never be played upfront solo,he isnt that kind of player..i see him more in the hole between midfield and attack,pretty much like jarrett position...think he would come good there...but we may never know,hasnt been given a proper chance and i dont think he ever will do heere..i think he will go in jan or deffo end of season