Player of the Decade

OAFC Player of the Decade 2000 -2009  

110 members have voted

1. 1. 2000-2009

• Sir David Eyres
    • John 'Thanks for that Penalty' Sheridan
    • Somone else...

Depends what you'd say makes a 'Player of the Decade'. Doesn't necessarily have to be the best player...I would personally say that Ernie characterised the doggedness of that post-M***e team regardless of his passing. Even if he was still around I'd have expected a nomination...

if he was still around i dont think he would have got a nomination, his unforunate death has made the legend (maybe rightly so) but imo if he was in todays team he would be slated like the rest

duxburys a good shout, always worked hard and i seem to remember him chipping in with some important goals

but got to be shez for me

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think it has to be David Eyres for me too. A talisman and an artist with that left foot.

I missed almost all of Sheridan's playing career with Oldham, but I'd agree he's the best quality player to play for us in recent times (*), maybe alongside Graeme Sharp, although they were both past their best by the time they came to us.

(* i.e. since the days when the England captain was an Oldham player... :wink: ).

With no disprespect intended; people would not be nominating Ernie if he had not passed away. He put in effort, he captured out imagination and played for us during a difficult period, but he was only here for a season and he didn't make an impact on the club as much as players like: Shez, Eyres pr Pogs.

I'm gonna go with David Eyres though.

Also; Porter was our first striker to get over 20 goals a season for ages, that's got to count for something.

Edited by Bring Back Ronnie Moore

Other shouts for best player this year, To throw their names in the mix:

Fitz Hall

Clint Hill

Sean Gregan

Neal Eardley

My vote though has to go for Chris Taylor, often been stifled by a poor team around him and ever changing rota at left back.

Oldham boy through and through, plays exactly like the rest of us would if we could.

Sheridan and Eyres...I would expect them both to easily be out there at the top of the vote. Both were class acts, the most talented players we had at this time. Also, both absolutely loved playing football and loved playing for us.

Other players have shown as much commitment (Taylor, Ernie, Pogs etc...) and whilst they were good, they simply aren't as good as Shez and Eyres.

Other players were really good, and deserve to be in the voting (Wellens, Porter, Hill, Hall, Murray) but they didn't love the club like these two so I wouldn't vote for them.

Another thing in their favor...people say there is no loyalty in football nowadays. That's an accusation you could never level at Shez and Eyres.

It's a good point regarding Garnett. He was of limited ability but he did his very best every game.

We've had many players since of far greater ability who had they shown the committment Garnett did, would have seen us in the Championship long ago. We even have quite a few now <_<

In fact I think we were quite lucky to have a spine of Kelly, Garnett and Duxbury actually. We'd have fallen even further without those three. Not the best but the best we could actually get. Legends the lot of them, each in their own way.

Anyway, Shez and Eyres by some distance.

Edited by RoytonBlueLad

I think its clearly a toss up between Shez and Eyres by a long way going of the comments...

Now its narrowed down a bit how about attaching a Shez or Eyres poll to the top of this thread ? Would be interesting to see who wins...

Edited by oafc0000