Alternative survey

Okay, there's been too much nice nostalgia on this site recently, remembering when we actually had players who a) could play a bit and B) gave a shee-ite about the blue shirt. So let's get back to normality and bring on the casual abuse and general disgruntlement again. Who is Latics' WORST player of the decade? Base it on sustained rubbishness (ie at least five games), rather than occasional sub appearances from players who just weren't up to it (ie Matty Barlow).

Some starters for ten:

Mark Hotte

Ricky Butcher

Terrell Forbes

Jermaine Johnson

Any of the present squad apart from loan signings, Chris Taylor and Sean Gregan

Delroy Facey

David Lee

Any more for any more?

Edited by perfectOzblue

Okay, there's been too much nice nostalgia on this site recently, remembering when we actually had players who a) could play a bit and B) gave a shee-ite about the blue shirt. So let's get back to normality and bring on the casual abuse and general disgruntlement again. Who is Latics' WORST player of the decade? Base it on sustained rubbishness (ie at least five games), rather than occasional sub appearances from players who just weren't up to it (ie Matty Barlow).

Some starters for ten:

Mark Hotte

Ricky Butcher

Terrell Forbes

Jermaine Johnson

Any of the present squad apart from loan signings, Chris Taylor and Sean Gregan

Delroy Facey

David Lee

Any more for any more?

Ian Ormondroyd (1st Spell)

Peter Litchfield

Glenn Keeley

Neil Moore

Nicky Banger

Phil Starbuck

David Reeves

Allan Smart

Brian Kilcline

Paul Kane

Scott McGarvey

Rodney Jack

Mark Arber

Chris Day

Rob Scott

Terrell Forbes

I always thought Gary McDonald was absolutely garbage, obviously not the worst, but right up there as far as genuinely established first teamers go. Shame we had him detracting from Wellens' contribution.

Butcher 'wins' it for me. I had him sussed from day one and everyone soon followed. I remember the guy I used to sit next to in the Lookers berating me for criticising Butcher, McDonald and Molango. He used to slate Lidds. :petesake:

Dean Holden.

Michael Clegg.

Ricky Butcher.

Rob Scott.

Mark Arber.

Guy Branston.

Keigan Parker.

Jermain Johnson (basically for giving up at Chesterfield)

Now we're getting somewhere!

Worst X1 of the decade (4-3-3):

Chris Day

Michael Clegg

Mark Arber

Guy Branston

? (crap left-back anyone?)

Ricky Butcher

David Lee

Rob Scott (I'm sure he 'played' midfield occasionally)

Matt O'Halloran

Dean Crowe

Maheta Molango

Chris Day

Michael Clegg

Mark Arber

Guy Branston

Ricky Butcher

David Lee

Matt O'Halloran

Dean Crowe

Maheta Molango

It's a bit harsh putting O' Halloran and Molango in there....ok, they were crap, but O'Hallorans goal against Rushden should exempt him from such lists. Also, similar could be said for Molango against Swansea.

Rob Scott can be left back. Parker has got to be in there also for me. A midfield pair of Butcher and Whittaker would possibly be the softest midfield pair in the history of football.

It's a bit harsh putting O' Halloran and Molango in there....ok, they were crap, but O'Hallorans goal against Rushden should exempt him from such lists. Also, similar could be said for Molango against Swansea.

Rob Scott can be left back. Parker has got to be in there also for me. A midfield pair of Butcher and Whittaker would possibly be the softest midfield pair in the history of football.

O'Halloran's will easily exempt him from such a list, Malongo's won't! He did his best to miss it...and it was hardly like the club was in the same situation as it was when O'Halloran scored.

And if you are going to exempt Malongo for Swansea, can we not exempt Butch for Colchester?!

Chris Day

Michael Clegg

Mark Arber

Guy Branston

Ricky Butcher

David Lee

Matt O'Halloran

Dean Crowe

Maheta Molango

I'd put Scott left back and Cooksey in midfield.

O'Halloran's will easily exempt him from such a list, Malongo's won't! He did his best to miss it...and it was hardly like the club was in the same situation as it was when O'Halloran scored.

And if you are going to exempt Malongo for Swansea, can we not exempt Butch for Colchester?!

No. Because Molango only played a few games for us, and whilst he was crap he did score a last min winner (nothing like the situation with O'Hallorans, but still, it was good). Butcher was awful all season, save for the very odd moment, in which he played something ridiculous like 38 games.

No. Because Molango only played a few games for us, and whilst he was crap he did score a last min winner (nothing like the situation with O'Hallorans, but still, it was good). Butcher was awful all season, save for the very odd moment, in which he played something ridiculous like 38 games.

I'm surprised that game isn't more famous for the twenty-five or so minutes stoppage time that you are insinuating took place :wink:

I'm surprised that game isn't more famous for the twenty-five or so minutes stoppage time that you are insinuating took place :wink:

Bloody hell! I just soccerbase'd it. Didn't realise it was after 67mins. Have we socred a last min winner against Swansea in recent memory, or am I just imagining it?