eyres best goal

While reading through all the posts about our beloved mr.eyres, it got me thinking about what the best goal he has ever scored. My personal favourite, and one that will always stick in my memory, is that free kick against stockport in feb 2003. What a way to win a game, everybody went mental when that went in.

Mike

Stockport for me.

Followed (quite a way behind though) by his FK at home to Brighton in 2002, and his goal from the halfway line against Tranmere. The latter was probably his best goal technically, but Stockport is by far my favourite.

Stockport (a) - Free kick in the last minute to win the game

Hull in the FA Cup (a) - Trademark running in at the far post and drilling home to put us 2-1 up.

Colchester (h) - a dull 1-1 home draw was lit up by a brilliant opportunist goal by Eyresey from near the touchline just into their half.

Brighton (h) - High-flying seagulls sent tumbling down to earth as Eyresey seals the win with a free kick on the edge of the box hammered in off the crossbar.

Tranmere in the LDV (h) - on the break, running just over the halfway line and Eyres lifts the ball high over the stranded goalie.

Think my favourite was the last one. Great that he signed off his Latics career with a win too against Scunthorpe. If we had a player like him in the ranks I'd feel much more confident about the next few weeks.

The one where the opposition had scored, Eyres got the ball straight from the kick off, danced past three of them and slammed it in the top corner from 25 yards to make it 3-2 (I think).

Bournemouth mate at home - January 26th 2002, Drew 3-3, Eyresy put us 3-2 ahead indeed. Fabulous goal!

Bournemouth mate at home - January 26th 2002, Drew 3-3, Eyresy put us 3-2 ahead indeed. Fabulous goal!

My personal favourites

The afore mentioned goal v Bournemouth

Last minute free-kick at Oxford

Stunner at Wrexham

His late get out of jail strikes at Burton and Cardiff

His Play-Off opener v QPR

The cracker at Hull

His wonder goal v Tranmere

and his fantastic late free-kick at Edgely Park ties with his brilliant brace in as many minutes v Walsall in the 5-3, bringing us back from dead and buried at 0-2 after 44 mins, to 2-2 in first-half stoppage time.

However! The strike that epitomised everything about Eyresy was his final goal on his sad and emotional finale on the last day of 05-06, he gets the ball, leaves a couple of defenders in his wake, shimmies leaves another defender and the keeper on their arses and blasts into the Chaddy End net....Eyresy in a nutshell!

Hull in the FA Cup (a) - Trademark running in at the far post and drilling home to put us 2-1 up.

Colchester (h) - a dull 1-1 home draw was lit up by a brilliant opportunist goal by Eyresey from near the touchline just into their half.

Brighton (h) - High-flying seagulls sent tumbling down to earth as Eyresey seals the win with a free kick on the edge of the box hammered in off the crossbar.

Tranmere in the LDV (h) - on the break, running just over the halfway line and Eyres lifts the ball high over the stranded goalie.

Think my favourite was the last one. Great that he signed off his Latics career with a win too against Scunthorpe. If we had a player like him in the ranks I'd feel much more confident about the next few weeks.

What he said, but it hit the top corner cleanly without the need for the woodwork. Carbon copy of the winner at Oxford...

Free kick v Plymouth when they were on the verge of promotion.

Yep this one for me too, the 4-1 at home in '04 - a crafty freekick taken quickly caught Plymouth napping.

He is a Legend, he's right up there with the best of 'em....

DVDs of eyresey's latics highlights, including the majority of his goals, were distributed to a number of fans who attended the celebration evening in his honour at the Rifle Range. They're planning a follow up event in the new year (TBC) so more DVDs may be available then.

Or someone could just rip the DVD to their computer, upload it to the web and share the love. :wink:

Btw is his Tranmere goal on their?

Scored a good goal in that game too that pretty much summed up what he was all about. The ball came to him at the back post with just the keeper to beat, faints to shoot cutting inside leaving 2 defenders sliding across him and the keeper on their arses, then slams it into the far top corner, awesome.

My favourite like most others is definitely stockport though. Does anyone have any footage of Eyresy? Nothing on youtube whatsoever, you would think such a great player would have somesort of compilation thing on there from someone.

Billy Sharp scored a late equaliser - 1-1!