Victory is a cert!

That just confirms my thoughts............Penneys continued negative tactics are what's driving fans away.

I'm not a fan of Colbeck but it seems like he was having a good game and much of our attacking threat seemed to be coming from him....so what does he do....He takes him off and tries to hold on to the victory.........Brilliant!!!

the official site says they took him off as he was tiring.

im happy with the result. not winning in the circumstances is annoying but a point away and given the team, it is a good point. we have started to score again which can only be good.

it is disappointing but if we beat the trannies on boxing day it will be a useful point. think about it - next week, we could have 7 pts out of nine.

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

i am not hoping for the playoffs or expecting them - top 12 would be decent this year.

What p1sses me off is that a win today, maybe pav and taylor back next week and a win vs tranmere puts you 4/5 points off a playoff spot and with everyone fit towards jan (if we CAN get most fit bar holdsworth and worthy) i really think with a settled side, pav and heff up top, we could push on.

I am not saying we would then get a playoff, but it would be nice to see us push on and see how well we could do with a full squad available and with a little run of wins on the go....

Fool me for having an AMBITIOUS target (not expecting us to do it, but surely the manager having a quiet word with the players and saying we're a decent set of lads lets have a crack at those playoffs) will get them playing that 5% better mentally rather than sitting back at 2-1 hanging on AGAINST 10 MEN having battered them.

but i havent got coaching badges so what do i know with my common sense eh............

it is disappointing but if we beat the trannies on boxing day it will be a useful point. think about it - next week, we could have 7 pts out of nine.

Boxing day is massive. Win and we'll open up an 8 point gap on Tranmere. Lose and it's down to 2.

Big next 4/5 games for us looking at who we've got. Tranmere, Stockport, Orient.

Penneys negative mindset most definitly cost us 2 points today. We were battering them and although we blew 5 or 6 great chances we never looked in trouble. Then he took Colbeck off which i agreed with, but instead of carrying on in the same manner we sat back and allowed them to control the remainder off the match

And then Whittaker who was having a good game by his standards lets us down again by just sticking a leg out and giving the ref the 2nd easiest decision off the match (the easiest being the red card)

But to go 4-5-1 against a terrible Wycombe down to ten men was an absolute joke in my opinion and everyone else's around me aswell.

One positive for me though was the partnership of Furman and stephens who had another good game.

There is no doubt in my mind the blame lies with the manager for this.

Penneys negative mindset most definitly cost us 2 points today. We were battering them and although we blew 5 or 6 great chances we never looked in trouble. Then he took Colbeck off which i agreed with, but instead of carrying on in the same manner we sat back and allowed them to control the remainder off the match

And then Whittaker who was having a good game by his standards lets us down again by just sticking a leg out and giving the ref the 2nd easiest decision off the match (the easiest being the red card)

But to go 4-5-1 against a terrible Wycombe down to ten men was an absolute joke in my opinion and everyone else's around me aswell.

One positive for me though was the partnership of Furman and stephens who had another good game.

There is no doubt in my mind the blame lies with the manager for this.

SPOT ON

While it sounds as though the Colbeck sub backfired today if Whittaker hadn't stuck his leg out and gave away a penalty we would have held out for all 3 points.

It's common practice near the end to go defensive to hold out for a draw even against 10 men. It was Penney's same negative tactics that put us 2-1 up as well.

While it sounds as though the Colbeck sub backfired today if Whittaker hadn't stuck his leg out and gave away a penalty we would have held out for all 3 points.

It's common practice near the end to go defensive to hold out for a draw even against 10 men. It was Penney's same negative tactics that put us 2-1 up as well.

I would argue that 99% of teams would of been at least 2-1 up in our situation this afternoon. I really fail to see what his thinking was when he decided to go negative after the change. whether he didnt have the belief that we could get a 3rd and kill the game off i don't know but it was terrible to watch.

And if the Heffernan horror miss had bounced a bit more kindly off either post or the crossbar....and if we'd scored the penalty....and if Brooke had scored....and if we hadn't had half the squad out injured/ill.... (and if my auntie had b*ll*cks,she'd be my uncle)

I know you make your own luck, but sweet Jesus we really aren't getting the breaks at the moment.

We would have lost IF that Wycombe lad had put his free header on target, we would have lost had that deflected shot went on target rather than skittle wide, wasn't a smash and grab by them, as said the last twenty they was very much in it as we was.

From what I can see we shut up shop near the end, for the rest of the time we had loads of chances to finish them off, hardly negative is it? I can understand the frustrations of not getting the win but it was Penney's 'negative' tactics that created so many opportunities and chances in the first place.

macca..go to a few more games and realise the guy isn't winning any fans with his style of play and tactics.

its stone dead dull.

i'm hardly missing it TBH.

no away games now planned till exeter,not arsed atm about missing many home games.

£20 in my pocket is better value for me.

staying loyal etc doesn't come into it..we all know its crap,so why should i pay £20 to continually confirm it?

penney has to go.

macca..go to a few more games and realise the guy isn't winning any fans with his style of play and tactics.

its stone dead dull.

no away games now planned till exeter,not arsed atm about missing many home games.

staying loyal etc doesn't come into it..we all know its crap,so why should i pay £20 to continually confirm it?

penney has to go.

+1

Fool me for having an AMBITIOUS target (not expecting us to do it, but surely the manager having a quiet word with the players and saying we're a decent set of lads lets have a crack at those playoffs) will get them playing that 5% better mentally rather than sitting back at 2-1 hanging on AGAINST 10 MEN having battered them.

but i havent got coaching badges so what do i know with my common sense eh............

You might have an ambitious target, but the club clearly hasn't. That's why they threw promotion away in 2006-7 when it was in the bag, and explains last season's fiasco.

The aim is to be a 'self-sustaining club' (whatever that's supposed to mean) in the third or fourth division. Promotion from this division is off the agenda for good. Basically we're being sold a lie.

Very negative sounding?

very selective editing?

"Penneys negative mindset most definitly cost us 2 points today. We were battering them and although we blew 5 or 6 great chances we never looked in trouble. Then he took Colbeck off which i agreed with, but instead of carrying on in the same manner we sat back and allowed them to control the remainder off the match "

its stone dead dull.

penney has to go.

I'll be there on Boxing Day, I'm looking forward to it.

very selective editing?

"Penneys negative mindset most definitly cost us 2 points today. We were battering them and although we blew 5 or 6 great chances we never looked in trouble. Then he took Colbeck off which i agreed with, but instead of carrying on in the same manner we sat back and allowed them to control the remainder off the match "

Yes it was but my point was that negative tactics can't have been the overall approach if we created so many chances. And if the players on the picth had taken some of them it would have been a comfortable win with exactly the same tactics that got a draw.

Edited by LaticsPete

Yes it was but my point was that negative tactics can't have been the overall approach if we created so many chances. And if the players on the picth had taken some of them it would have been a comfortable win with exactly the same tactics that got a draw.

If you ignore the wasted chances for the other side...

blaming commitment and effort is usually the easy way out IMO and we hear it on these boards year after year after year after year after year............

From what most have said we changed the tactics when there was no need which mean we were playing right into their hands