Scott Spencer signs for Southend.

Any day now he's going to make his surge into the England setup and become the next Wayne Rooney!

How much did we sell him for?

EDIT -

The Premier League side signed him as a 16-year-old for £500,000 from Oldham Athletic but he failed to break into David Moyes first team plans and was loaned to Macclesfield Town.

£500,000?! Really?!

http://www.southendunited.co.uk/page/NewsD...1929952,00.html

Edited by Bring Back Ronnie Moore

Any day now he's going to make his surge into the England setup and become the next Wayne Rooney!

How much did we sell him for?

EDIT -

£500,000?! Really?!

http://www.southendunited.co.uk/page/NewsD...1929952,00.html

bet bit of business our club has ever done!

Just think it could have been lewi!

I'd be genuinely interested to know what the overall loss of the TTA would be, taking into consideration at least 3 'windfalls'..

Trotman, Spenecer, Eardley must've softened the financial blow

I think it is currently around £3 million but I have no source for it... Sure I read it somewhere...

Yeah, not like a prem team to release a young player who goes on to make it. That Roger Palmer was :censored:e and don't even talk to me about about that duffer Earl Barrett.

Roger Palmer was never young, not even the day he was born, never mind when he came to us. That was a different age anyway, I have long been convinced that the Redd Soxx academy in particular is geared to finding and selling the next generation of Sunderland/West Brom Norwich type players as much as hoping to find the odd player they actually bother to keep. Bear in mind Southend have the wolf properly at the door, he is probably playing for food in the hope of making an impression somewhere, it's not the story of a player who didn't quite make it at the top level having to slip down a notch.

Roger Palmer was never young, not even the day he was born, never mind when he came to us. That was a different age anyway, I have long been convinced that the Redd Soxx academy in particular is geared to finding and selling the next generation of Sunderland/West Brom Norwich type players as much as hoping to find the odd player they actually bother to keep. Bear in mind Southend have the wolf properly at the door, he is probably playing for food in the hope of making an impression somewhere, it's not the story of a player who didn't quite make it at the top level having to slip down a notch.

Didn't Scott Spencer have a trial at Yeovil?

I have long been convinced that the Redd Soxx academy in particular is geared to finding and selling the next generation of Sunderland/West Brom Norwich type players as much as hoping to find the odd player they actually bother to keep.......

......such as Scholes, Butt and the Neville brothers, even if it means signing them from Boundary Park Juniors.

......such as Scholes, Butt and the Neville brothers, even if it means signing them from Boundary Park Juniors.

And Sinclair and others who played Premiership football. Not the Oldham Athletic youth team though, as much as I like to spin that yarn to Southerners. They got lucky finding such a talented bunch in one place an taking a load of them, much as we got lucky in such a bunch of rejects signed in the late 1980s turning out to be such gems. Planning and insight are all very well, but it helps to be a lucky :censored:er at the same time.

I'd be genuinely interested to know what the overall loss of the TTA would be, taking into consideration at least 3 'windfalls'..

Trotman, Spenecer, Eardley must've softened the financial blow

We need to bear in mind that Wrexham took 50% of the Eardley money. Having said that, do we know if there were any useful clauses in Spencers sale?