2. 2. Who replaces him?

• Duxbury
    • Stitch
    • Dowie
    • Southgate
    • Gannon
    • McAlister
    • A N other Who in your opinion? Please State
    • None of the Above Penney's the man for me!
    • Gregan

+1 .......then multiply that by 1000

Yes ritchie was hard done by here, and I think he would be ten times more positive than Penney, but Senor is spot on here. We can't eep looking back to the past. As my bro said, there were some people in the main stand saying 'lets get Eyresy in as manager".

No, no, no and no *1000, as much of a legend Eyresy is, he is no manager.

Did Eyresy have any affinity for us when he joined from Preston?

Did Royle have any special bond with the club when he joined?

No and no. We cannot keep looking to the past everytime we need a new manager. Affinity is built up over time. We need to give someone a chance to build up this affinity towards us. I would have loved for this to be Penney but I don't know how much more I can watch of 'Safe Dave's' negative tactics.

Fair points from you and coco...

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yes ritchie was hard done by here, and I think he would be ten times more positive than Penney, but Senor is spot on here. We can't eep looking back to the past. As my bro said, there were some people in the main stand saying 'lets get Eyresy in as manager".

No and no. We cannot keep looking to the past everytime we need a new manager. Affinity is built up over time. We need to give someone a chance to build up this affinity towards us. I would have loved for this to be Penney but I don't know how much more I can watch of 'Safe Dave's' negative tactics.

All as I want to see is just one match where he changes from defending the 'no score draw' point that has been happening too much imo to an attacking mode, and look like he wants to get 3 points from every match, can't understand the bloke personally, for me Saturday is a big day, I want to see attacking football, if I don't then I shall cast my vote but until then the box remains unchecked.

Can't believe I'm first to this one, but I believe that one side of Joe's family is from Oldham, so he may have had a special affinity when he signed.

Smartarse point aside, I agree with your post. On the other hand, I don't think past links should be used as a reason NOT to appoint. IMO Stitch would be a reasonable and I guess cheap option, maybe not long term, or maybe so if he has learnt how better to handle his relationship between the squad and the boardroom. He's not a bad football manager aside from those (reasonably important) things.

Gannon for me,

the only other person from that list who i think deserves a crack would be Duxburry

No and no.

Gannon would be too much of a Penny-type appointment, I reckon. Reasonable track record, but no real affinity with the club.

Get Ritchie back - we can't get a top-name manager, so lets get one that gets the fans buzzing a bit.

I will go for Iain Dowie had he stayed at that TIME WE WOULD HAVE WENT UP the following season if we cant get him i hope we dont get jim gannon in i would go for southgate or Dave Basstte ex sheff utd boss.

because we are seriously going to get him being interested arent we..

After today....Penney in.

Apparently we played a lot better and still did not score... I said elsewhere if he can secure a decent striker in the next week then he will get a stay of execution to see if he can turn it around... If no one comes in then for me we are going to slip out of this league...

Apparently we played a lot better and still did not score... I said elsewhere if he can secure a decent striker in the next week then he will get a stay of execution to see if he can turn it around... If no one comes in then for me we are going to slip out of this league...

First half was alot better, heads went down after that penalty.

I still think brooke and abbott would be a good combination.

Eaves looked half decent when he came on, would like to see him play more.

Also penney said on GMR i think it was that he has until the brentford game to prove he has what it takes to get us out of this mess

I thought we played well today, Penney has another chance, I don't wanna see him gone.

I'm reliably informed by those I sit with who also saw the Tranmere game that we were alot better today. First half especially there was a decent tempo to our game and we seemed to be creating chances. The trouble is, after that result I simply can't take "a better performance" as a positive thing ... all today proved to me is that even when the players put the effort in, turn up the tempo and try to attack they simply aren't good enough to get us out of the position we're in.

We flattered to deceive. All those "chances" weren't really chances at all, most of them were crosses fired across a vacant penalty box along wii hthe occasional wild long distance attempt. It's no use getting forward down the flanks and putting crosses in when we have no strikers; we could have pinged crosses in like a metronome all day long today and still not scored.

Time's up, Dave.

I'm reliably informed by those I sit with who also saw the Tranmere game that we were alot better today. First half especially there was a decent tempo to our game and we seemed to be creating chances. The trouble is, after that result I simply can't take "a better performance" as a positive thing ... all today proved to me is that even when the players put the effort in, turn up the tempo and try to attack they simply aren't good enough to get us out of the position we're in.

We flattered to deceive. All those "chances" weren't really chances at all, most of them were crosses fired across a vacant penalty box along wii hthe occasional wild long distance attempt. It's no use getting forward down the flanks and putting crosses in when we have no strikers; we could have pinged crosses in like a metronome all day long today and still not scored.

Time's up, Dave.

+1

Today was alot better for that pathetic excuse of a football match on Wednesday but we had several chances in the first half. Even I could have done better with the one on one that parker put over the bar. Once we went one down that was it. This was penneys team, the lowest scorers in the league (a probem which he has failed to address), the most boring team in the league to watch.

My only concern is regardless of who is brought in to replace Penney if he goes, they will have a very hard task of keeping us up (however I aint having this as an excuse to keep penney, he built this squad, he picked this team and the tactics, he has to be held accountable for its shortfall)

My only concern is regardless of who is brought in to replace Penney if he goes, they will have a very hard task of keeping us up (however I aint having this as an excuse to keep penney, he built this squad, he picked this team and the tactics, he has to be held accountable for its shortfall)

+1

To be fair to Penney I think he has had a very difficult job to do with many things going against him which are out of his control.

But lack of goals and lack of points can't be overlooked so I think he should go. :(

EDIT: Just seen that the popular choice to replace Penney would be Ritchie. That is beyond me. I want us to at least have a fighting chance of staying up.

Edited by the_mighty_bosh

+1

Today was alot better for that pathetic excuse of a football match on Wednesday but we had several chances in the first half. Even I could have done better with the one on one that parker put over the bar. Once we went one down that was it. This was penneys team, the lowest scorers in the league (a probem which he has failed to address), the most boring team in the league to watch.

The simplest chance was Smalley's.

Haven't got the time to plow thru all the posts so here is my verdict ... sorry if its been posted already.

On Saturday once again Penney failed to show any determination, drive or emotion about the predicament he has our club in. I thought the decision to play Parker was a bad one but initially the idea of getting him in behind was producing some rewards, however he failed once again to keep Kiegen's motivation up for the whole game and watched from afar untill the 85th minute to withdraw a lazy appearing Parker from the field of play. He also once again watched assumingly blindly to the lack of drive from our midfield. Stephens is doing a decent job and is a good ball player but he is desperate for a box-to-box midfielder alongside him- Enter Dean Furman who's energy and stamina was fantastic pre-season and early season, yet once again on Saturday Penney appears happy for him to sit 30-40yards from our forwards when we are in possession of the ball. :censored: another player who possesses the attributes to thrive in a box-to-box role, and potentially one of the most talented players on our books (albeit loan), yet appears to be coached into pass and stand still by Penney. The most infuriating aspect of the :censored: CM role is when he was told to bomb forward and show more energy he had a MOM performance against MK Dons in argualy the only 8+ (/10) performance of a completely drab season at BP.

Now comes the reason for who I have voted for; on Sat after 82mins a seemingly satisfied to be losing due to a "I didn't see it" incident, Penney waves young Tom Eaves back up the touchline to give the lad 8mins to save the game in place of Parker. Obviously given the physicality of the lad he should hav replaced Pav and Brooke Parker thereafter, giving young Tom a proper crack at an average at best back 4. Now I doubt many of you will have noticed, but I was fortunately watching Dave Penney smiling with hands in pockets when Lee Duxbury rushed down and once again pointed at Eaves and then the pitch and attempted to convince Penney into a change, starring at the pitch and pointed a little, whilst looking frustrated at having to change things, he then waves his arms at Eaves and brings the lad on.

Watching that game it seemed obvious to me, and Dux, that despite being unlucky to be 1-0 down we were completely toothless up front in the 2nd haf and something other than the ineffective arrival of Brooke was needed. Too late to change much - YES thats granted, but it appeared Dux was willing to try Eaves out earlier yet Penney's reluctance to change a match he was happy with (lmao) may have cost us 20mins extra watching our top prospect in action and potentially a chance to rescue a point.

Duxbury has learnt his trade in the reserve ranks and knows the club inside out. Yes Stitch would be a fantastic choice both b/c i think he has done a decent job here and elsewhere and to reinvigerate a dying club AND gannon is a manager successful at this level in the North-west, however hiring from within with so little of the season remaining is a wise move IMHO and it would come relatively cheap at a time when finances are stretched to the limit.

I will go for Iain Dowie had he stayed at that TIME WE WOULD HAVE WENT UP the following season if we cant get him i hope we dont get jim gannon in i would go for southgate or Dave Basstte ex sheff utd boss.

:grin:

I suppose he has a tag as a relegation firefighter. He is a massive tw*t though.

*Note, I don't want him. At all.*

Edited by RoytonBlueLad