the myth of `not match fit`

yeah i can dee where u r comin from, tho i deffo dont agree...in fact...no! u r talkin bo**x, hers how it goes,IMO, " u lot are 1st team against u lot who want thier place, game on! ok if that dont work......check this out, .....u lot are my first team. ok u avnt had any match practice.....but.....it dosnt stop you TRYING YOUR FECKIN BEST!

*hic!*

Christ on a bike Jacko, I'd have waited a few hours before posting mate. I think I know what you are saying - however, for the interpretation of team match fitness see match practice - or as I would call it (and bluehobbit as well) ring-rust. Fnar-fnar.

yeah i can dee where u r comin from, tho i deffo dont agree...in fact...no! u r talkin bo**x, hers how it goes,IMO, " u lot are 1st team against u lot who want thier place, game on! ok if that dont work......check this out, .....u lot are my first team. ok u avnt had any match practice.....but.....it dosnt stop you TRYING YOUR FECKIN BEST!

I can see one was likely to have been slightly inebriated when one posted the above, so for the benefit of everyone else; here's the English translation.

What ho! chaps, whilst I appreciate your point of view I would like to offer that you are in fact talking bollocks! Let me put my viewpoint across. "The chaps that started the game were the custodians of the Royal Blue shirt, if they wished to continue in that vein then they should put in the monumental effort required. If their best is deemed unsatisfactory then perhaps the other chaps in the squad may be kind enough to step forward. Whilst fitness may be an issue after the recent unfortunate postponements it is no excuse that the guys have not given their all....

Toodle pip, i'm for cake and lashing og ginger beer...hic!

all this `not match fit ` malarkey is total bullshjt......

it is a total myth and a very poor excuse churned out by many..and believed by too many more in football.

THINK about it.....would you accept a top surgeon botching a routine bit of surgery on you coz he hasn`t "performed that particular procedure for three weeks" ??.

or would it be acceptable that a world champ boxer was `ring rusty` after losing a big fight coz "all he`s been able to do for the last 3 months is merely train for it" ??

or would it be acceptable that jenson button coming in last at F.1 coz it`s been "a whole three weeks since his last race" and that`s why he wasn`t up to pace??

it`s so simples......... we are talking` PROFESSIONALS` here.......even o.a.f.c fall within that bracket and have professional training /dieticians/trainers/physios/managers etc.

anyone, and i mean anyone who chooses to continue subscribing/accepting or believing the utter crap that somehow footballers are `different than the countless other professions in terms of fitness and readiness come match time is as bad as the idiots they are believing.

after so much time on the sidelines recently due to the weather, our so called professionals should have been absolutely bursting with fitness , and ready to apply themselves from the off.

what a load of crap do you play football? Match sharpness comes over time as I can vouch for over the last few months as I have been overcoming a bad injury!!

In my opinion there is a difference between match fitness and match sharpness. With the exception of Abbott and Taylor (and they have been training since before xmas) then there is no exuse for any player not to be match fit. They have been in the gym, swimming and doing whatever else they have been doing over the last few weeks whilst the weather has been bad.

Match sharpness is another thing all together, and its not all about physical fitness. Its more about executing the basics, difficult and near impossible aspects of the game. Now i don't buy into the exuse that we were so poor as we hadn't been able to get much ball work done out on the pitch. I.m sure they had many 5/6/7 a side games which should keep you mentally sharp as you get nowhere near the time as you would in a full game, and whilst i'll admit it may be hard to work on set-pieces and things alike if they havn't got it by now then match sharpness is the least of our worries.

But its hardly like they have been out of action for 6 months and wednesday was there 1st game back, its only 5 weeks since the weather kicked in and i'm sure they have been training everyday and had a couple of matches in that time aswell.

For me its a very weak exuse and one from someone who is fighting for his job.

I can see one was likely to have been slightly inebriated when one posted the above, so for the benefit of everyone else; here's the English translation.

What ho! chaps, whilst I appreciate your point of view I would like to offer that you are in fact talking bollocks! Let me put my viewpoint across. "The chaps that started the game were the custodians of the Royal Blue shirt, if they wished to continue in that vein then they should put in the monumental effort required. If their best is deemed unsatisfactory then perhaps the other chaps in the squad may be kind enough to step forward. Whilst fitness may be an issue after the recent unfortunate postponements it is no excuse that the guys have not given their all....

Toodle pip, i'm for cake and lashing og ginger beer...hic!

spot on that man. no more pissed up post for me....appologies

what a load of crap do you play football? Match sharpness comes over time as I can vouch for over the last few months as I have been overcoming a bad injury!!

a bit late coz i`ve been away.......

the point is that `CRAP` is what we were against tranmere.......... not just one player who is 60/70% fit after injury comeback..........the totally silly excuse of " the whole squad were rusty or jaded ".......i mean come on??

football as a whole has made a myth into reality for some and they just say " oh, okay then, that explains it".........CRAP !!

all this `not match fit ` malarkey is total bullshjt......

it is a total myth and a very poor excuse churned out by many..and believed by too many more in football.

THINK about it.....would you accept a top surgeon botching a routine bit of surgery on you coz he hasn`t "performed that particular procedure for three weeks" ??.

or would it be acceptable that a world champ boxer was `ring rusty` after losing a big fight coz "all he`s been able to do for the last 3 months is merely train for it" ??

or would it be acceptable that jenson button coming in last at F.1 coz it`s been "a whole three weeks since his last race" and that`s why he wasn`t up to pace??

it`s so simples......... we are talking` PROFESSIONALS` here.......even o.a.f.c fall within that bracket and have professional training /dieticians/trainers/physios/managers etc.

anyone, and i mean anyone who chooses to continue subscribing/accepting or believing the utter crap that somehow footballers are `different than the countless other professions in terms of fitness and readiness come match time is as bad as the idiots they are believing.

after so much time on the sidelines recently due to the weather, our so called professionals should have been absolutely bursting with fitness , and ready to apply themselves from the off.

I played my first competitive match for two months on Saturday and I have never been as fooked in my life. I've been keeping myself fit by running and gym work/swimming, but nothing can compare to match fitness.

I played my first competitive match for two months on Saturday and I have never been as fooked in my life. I've been keeping myself fit by running and gym work/swimming, but nothing can compare to match fitness.

If you better tailored your fitness work to replicate playing a football match then you could get every bit as 'match fit' as you do by playing matches.

Do you really think that your cardiovascular system works differently when you're chasing a pig bladder around? Or that your vo2 max miraculously increases under the same circumstances?

Of course you may not play well due to being out of practice, but that's like most things in life.

To address some points. Firstly to the poster who said something about a surgeon doing operations they haven't done in a while- that should only happen in either an emergency or if it is something very complicated because everyone gets out of practice and its much better to get a more junior member of the team to do a simple operation that they do every day than to get a senior member of the team to do the same operation which they do once a month but that's kinda by the by.

Match fitness is NOT the same as cardiovascular fitness- the players cardiovascular fitness should have been OK as you can do treadmill, swimming, indoor biking type stuff to keep that up. However you can't replicate the process of running around and kicking balls/tackling/jumping/other general activities used in football to the same level as you need to (you can get close). Players' bodies needs to get re used to the different muscle movements for football compared to general running. There is a reason why European football competitions take a break during the winter months as those teams in countries where they tale winter breaks would be at a severe disadvantage if they were playing a team where they don't have a winter break due to the difference in fitness. You could in theory run the training to the same intensity as games if you have a prolonged period of absence but that way you run the risk of more injuries.

It isn't just football where the pros suffer when they've been away, it happens in boxing (aka ring rust), cricket (hence why they have practice matches prior to test series, as opposed to simply nets), golf, in fact almost any sport. It would be simpler if instead of referring to the lack of practice as being not match fit they said lack of match practice which would be the more accurate description.

To address some points. Firstly to the poster who said something about a surgeon doing operations they haven't done in a while- that should only happen in either an emergency or if it is something very complicated because everyone gets out of practice and its much better to get a more junior member of the team to do a simple operation that they do every day than to get a senior member of the team to do the same operation which they do once a month but that's kinda by the by.

Match fitness is NOT the same as cardiovascular fitness- the players cardiovascular fitness should have been OK as you can do treadmill, swimming, indoor biking type stuff to keep that up. However you can't replicate the process of running around and kicking balls/tackling/jumping/other general activities used in football to the same level as you need to (you can get close). Players' bodies needs to get re used to the different muscle movements for football compared to general running. There is a reason why European football competitions take a break during the winter months as those teams in countries where they tale winter breaks would be at a severe disadvantage if they were playing a team where they don't have a winter break due to the difference in fitness. You could in theory run the training to the same intensity as games if you have a prolonged period of absence but that way you run the risk of more injuries.

It isn't just football where the pros suffer when they've been away, it happens in boxing (aka ring rust), cricket (hence why they have practice matches prior to test series, as opposed to simply nets), golf, in fact almost any sport. It would be simpler if instead of referring to the lack of practice as being not match fit they said lack of match practice which would be the more accurate description.

good points on some of the technicalities.

but there is still no valid argument which explains why a `professional football player/or players , who are physically capable, cannot maintain or even excel in keeping up fitness levels in between a match, however long the gap.

if the training regime is kept intensive, then any athlete should be totally ready in every way.

ffotball in general seems to use the old `not mat fit` or `lacks match practise` way too easily and the too many fans take it as a valid reason........ it`s total bull.

rochdale easily continuing on their unbeaten/ winning streak after a lengthy lay off like us recently are living proof.

but there is still no valid argument which explains why a `professional football player/or players , who are physically capable, cannot maintain or even excel in keeping up fitness levels in between a match, however long the gap.

if the training regime is kept intensive, then any athlete should be totally ready in every way.

ffotball in general seems to use the old `not mat fit` or `lacks match practise` way too easily and the too many fans take it as a valid reason........ it`s total bull.

rochdale easily continuing on their unbeaten/ winning streak after a lengthy lay off like us recently are living proof.

sorry for gaps........battery on keyboard playing up !!

Several points- you can't keep up intensive training if you aren't playing games as it will do more harm than good. Football uses the old "not match fit excuse" probably because it has sports scientists, physios etc. looking at biometric and other data, to try and gain any edge and there is a significant difference in performance levels between times with regular games and times without, it isn't an excuse its fact. Rochdale continued on their winning streak but if both teams haven't played in ages then both are going to be at the same fitness level so it isn't going to matter. I guarantee you if the club decided not to have any pre season games and just relied on general training we would get spanked for the first 5 games. If someone isn't cardiovascularly fit enough they shouldn't start- it will significantly increase their risk of getting injured- but I don't think that was the problem for the Tranny game. However, lack of match practise is noticable when players return from injury for all sports and once sports people get more matches under their belt the performance gets better, even if they have been able to maintain a good enough level of cardiovascular fitness whilst out injured.

Rather than seeking that as evidence of the existence or otherwise of, "match practice," isn't it just a reflector of the current fact that they are quite good and we are really :censored:?