What the Bloody Hell Was the Pen For?

I honestly can't comprehend what the spot kick was given for!

Gregan and their forward both went down, the ref said play on, so it can't have been that?

Then their forward kicks out at Gregan, so if the liner had anything about him, he'd have given us a free kick then and there?

Then Gregan pushes their forward outside the box, wasn't it?

Or was I seeing things? :angry::shock:

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Gregan and their forward both went down, the ref said play on, so it can't have been that?

Then their forward kicks out at Gregan, so if the liner had anything about him, he'd have given us a free kick then and there?

We will find out when it's shown on TV.

Apparently the linesman flagged for the penalty when they both went down in the box, but the ref didnt see but the linesman was convinced and gave the ref no choice. However, i am not completely sure so lets hope the camera men had been watching it!

He didn't flag then, Rob (I was at the game), he flagged about 10 seconds after Gregan's handbags, (and, interestingly, whilst the Millwall arse was shouting at him)...

I highly doubt it'll have been filmed, so looks like they'll get away with it :angry:

Interestingly so was i,

but i didnt see the incident after, and presumed the linesman had flagged for inital foul, as am sure you are unable to give a penalty for an off the ball incident about 50 yards or however many away from the current play

Guys, I was at the game today as a complete neutral and if you never saw the incident I wouldn't blame you as the ball was up the other end. Not sure how it started but the lino saw Gregan put both his hands around the Millwall lads neck, inside the area. I also saw it and really it left him with no option other than to award a penalty. I know the lino and have since asked why it wasn't a red card offence and he came back with a reply which makes sense although Im not really sure that I should put his answer on here.

The penalty issue aside, you only have your own finishing to blame for not having the game sewn up by half time. If you can get Abbot scoring for you then you will be fine, otherwise its going to be a long hard struggle.

Guys, I was at the game today as a complete neutral and if you never saw the incident I wouldn't blame you as the ball was up the other end. Not sure how it started but the lino saw Gregan put both his hands around the Millwall lads neck, inside the area. I also saw it and really it left him with no option other than to award a penalty. I know the lino and have since asked why it wasn't a red card offence and he came back with a reply which makes sense although Im not really sure that I should put his answer on here.

The penalty issue aside, you only have your own finishing to blame for not having the game sewn up by half time. If you can get Abbot scoring for you then you will be fine, otherwise its going to be a long hard struggle.

Yet the incident was off the ball, 75 yards away, so can not be a penalty surely?

Yet the incident was off the ball, 75 yards away, so can not be a penalty surely?

Unfortunatley if the offence is in the area, irrespective of where the ball was it is a penalty. Believe me, Im no friend of Millwall, as a Hull fan I detest that club, but the decision was the correct one.

Unfortunatley if the offence is in the area, irrespective of where the ball was it is a penalty. Believe me, Im no friend of Millwall, as a Hull fan I detest that club, but the decision was the correct one.

However, it had no effect on play, so thats a pile of bollocks,

FA need the rethink some friggin rules :ranting:

If Gregan had his hands around the Millwall player's neck, then to me no excuse can be given by the Referee or the Linesman for not sending Gregan off, something definately does not add up there.

Spot on!

Gregan throttled him and was extremely lucky not to be shown a straight red.

It was a definite penalty as the ball was still in play and it was a blatant foul inside the box.

Spot on!

It was a definite penalty as the ball was still in play and it was a blatant foul inside the box.

Yet was off the ball incidient with play continuing 75 yards away.

If gregan did throttle him and the linesman saw it, then the only possibe result for gregan would be a red card.

Spot on!

Without going into detail the offence was seen as aggresive rather than violent conduct, hence yellow and not red.

Without sounding awful here, what the eff has happend to Oldham over the last few years? Your a shadow of the club who I used to watch the Tigers play.

a foul is a foul, regardless of where the ball is, unfortunately.

what about the millwall player kickin greagan as he ran passed,the lino never raised his flag until a good 60 seconds after play, and untill haris and the main culprit protest bigest farce ive ever seen watchin latics :ranting:

it makes sense if gregan did raise his arms but surely he should have been sent off for that. its an annoying penalty to concede and gregan is supposed to lead the team. any idea of the player he had a go at?

I have no idea no, as soon as I saw the hands around the lads neck I watched the response of the lino. Anyway, sincere good luck for the rest of the season. Never had anything but good days out at your place, and I know what its like when your team are in decline.

I don't care what Gregan's done, the Millwall guy kicked him first, free kick?

Book/send off Gregan for his reaction, but the free kick is ours because the forward has done the first offence, surely?

And if Gregan tried to throttle the guy, it's a red card, no questions asked, it's clearly violent conduct, not 'aggressive conduct' (which, incedentaly, doesn't exist as a bookable offence, unless there's something I've missed in the 'Advice to Referees' document, which I'm trying to find now!:

According to Law 12, a player is cautioned and shown the yellow card if he commits any of the following seven offences:

1. is guilty of unsporting behaviour - Nope

2. shows dissent by word or action - Nope

3. persistently infringes the Laws of the Game - Nope (though how the hell their winger didn't get about 4 yellow cards for this one, I have no idea!)

4. delays the restart of play - Nope

5. fails to respect the required distance when play is restarted with a corner kick or free kick - Nope

6. enters or re-enters the field of play without the referee's permission - Nope

7. deliberately leaves the field of play without the referee's permission - And Nope

On the other hand, a player is sent off and shown the red card if he commits any of the following seven offences:

1. is guilty of serious foul play

2. is guilty of violent conduct

3. spits at an opponent or any other person

4. denies the opposing team a goal or an obvious goal-scoring opportunity by deliberately handling the ball (this does not apply to a goalkeeper within his own penalty area)

5. denies an obvious goal-scoring opportunity to an opponent moving towards the player's goal by an offence punishable by a free kick or a penalty kick

6. uses offensive or insulting or abusive language and/or gestures

7. receives a second caution in the same match

Take your pick from either of the 1st 2, or possible 6.)

I don't care what Gregan's done, the Millwall guy kicked him first, free kick?

Book/send off Gregan for his reaction, but the free kick is ours because the forward has done the first offence, surely?

And if Gregan tried to throttle the guy, it's a red card, no questions asked, it's clearly violent conduct, not 'aggressive conduct' (which, incedentaly, doesn't exist as a bookable offence, unless there's something I've missed in the 'Advice to Referees' document, which I'm trying to find now!:

According to Law 12, a player is cautioned and shown the yellow card if he commits any of the following seven offences:

1. is guilty of unsporting behaviour - Nope

2. shows dissent by word or action - Nope

3. persistently infringes the Laws of the Game - Nope (though how the hell their winger didn't get about 4 yellow cards for this one, I have no idea!)

4. delays the restart of play - Nope

5. fails to respect the required distance when play is restarted with a corner kick or free kick - Nope

6. enters or re-enters the field of play without the referee's permission - Nope

7. deliberately leaves the field of play without the referee's permission - And Nope

On the other hand, a player is sent off and shown the red card if he commits any of the following seven offences:

1. is guilty of serious foul play

2. is guilty of violent conduct

3. spits at an opponent or any other person

4. denies the opposing team a goal or an obvious goal-scoring opportunity by deliberately handling the ball (this does not apply to a goalkeeper within his own penalty area)

5. denies an obvious goal-scoring opportunity to an opponent moving towards the player's goal by an offence punishable by a free kick or a penalty kick

6. uses offensive or insulting or abusive language and/or gestures

7. receives a second caution in the same match

Take your pick from either of the 1st 2, or possible 6.)

Joe

No one is saying that Gregan did not get kicked before he reacted. I never saw it, so if he did it would only be penalised if any official had seen it, obviously not the case. I agree with you about the yellow card and fully expected to see a red one produced, I can only tell you the answer I was given, in truth the club, Gregan and supporters should be grateful that it was only a yellow and not an automatic 3 match ban.

My own take on it, and I used to referee at a decent standard, is that the referee and his assistant have decided to use a bit of common sense and would deem the penalty awarded as harsh enough a punishment under the circumstances. A bit of common sense at times is a great asset, but that is just my own thoughts.

The bottom line is that irespective of what happend to Gregan he should not have throttled the Millwall player, although in the heat of the moment red mist can descend and make players do these things.

Gregan was the best player out there today, yet his actions may have cost you 3 points.

I'd agree with you that Gregan put his hands around the guys neck. However it's clear you were not watching what had happened immediately prior to this when the same guy had kicked out at gregan as he went past him - this was after the ball into the box had been cleared and the ball was upfield.

So, ball into box - nothing given

Ball cleared upfield.

Guy kicks gregan - laws of game say bring play all the way back to oldham penalty box and give free kick for foul? Erm, would that make any sense at all? We could be contensting a throw in 5 yards from the milwall goal line.

Then gregan RETALIATES - yep his action were bookable, possibly red-card, but the first foul was by the millwall player.

And by the way the millwall team acted they actually contrived to cheat a penalty out of the ref. Far worse than anything Henri did for France v Ireland. Pure and simple cheating.

I'd love to see the millwall team answer some questions on this incident.

Joe

No one is saying that Gregan did not get kicked before he reacted. I never saw it, so if he did it would only be penalised if any official had seen it, obviously not the case. I agree with you about the yellow card and fully expected to see a red one produced, I can only tell you the answer I was given, in truth the club, Gregan and supporters should be grateful that it was only a yellow and not an automatic 3 match ban.

My own take on it, and I used to referee at a decent standard, is that the referee and his assistant have decided to use a bit of common sense and would deem the penalty awarded as harsh enough a punishment under the circumstances. A bit of common sense at times is a great asset, but that is just my own thoughts.

The bottom line is that irespective of what happend to Gregan he should not have throttled the Millwall player, although in the heat of the moment red mist can descend and make players do these things.

Gregan was the best player out there today, yet his actions may have cost you 3 points.

At most one point as the chances of us scoring were zero.