If we go down the TTA is to blame

I think you are being unfair with this statement.

Whilst the team did finish in midtable, the form for the last half of the season was that of a bottom four side. That being the case, then Dave has not made the team worse, but you could argue he has not made any demonstrable improvement either.

I personally would give any manager longer than pre-season and have a season to turn a club round, particularly when it appears as though there is less money around. Since the 'good form' of last season, we have lost a proven goal-scorer, and our best player (Taylor) has seen his form dip alarmingly. This is not going to be solved quickly.

Trying to take a more positive look at this season I would look at the defense. Many managers, pundits and fans say you start from the back when building a successful team. At the start of the season we looked very shakey and disorganised at the back and conceded some very poor goals. I think this has improved throughout the season, and the goals against column makes positive reading.

We obviously need to improve the goal-scoring department, but we are only a few more goals away from having a decent set of results. An extra goal in the last 15 matches would have seen us pick up another 15 points - so we are not that far away.

I think you are being diplomatic Scapegoat.

Only an armchair fan would just look at the league table, and judge we had gone downhill from last season purely on the position in the league. THat does not take much of an imagination.

Not only that, but even if Shez had stayed he would have had to get rid of half the team because of age, and the other half because they played so badly for half a season, and some becasue they were on mega pre-recession contracts. And some becasue of all 3 reasons.

I know, I know :hooked:

Edited by singe

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Having said all that, I think I'll put my mortgage on us shipping in 3 tonight....would be typical.

:grin:

I agree with singe when it comes to your post Scapegoat.

Yeah, the defensive record is excellent, but just looking at the table isn't enough. The performances have been dull and boring. As much as I would love to see us promoted and become a successful club, I refuse to not criticise boring football, and it's obvious most Latics fans feel the same, so names like Martin Allen just don't do it for me. I go for entertainment. Bolton's league standings come the end of each season under Allardyce were incredible, but I never once saw their ground packed.

If we go down I will blame the DP and TTA. They've had their chance to get rid of Penney, they, as per usual, missed it, so we ride the season out. If we're still in this mess with 7 games to go, give Dux a chance. Free option, you never know. End-of-season contract can't hurt.

Whilst the team did finish in midtable, the form for the last half of the season was that of a bottom four side. That being the case, then Dave has not made the team worse, but you could argue he has not made any demonstrable improvement either.

Surely all that matters is the form over the full season, or even the form as a whole during the former manager's tenure? :unsure:

And besides, Joe Royle was the manager for near enough the second half of the second half of last season. Sheridan was sacked following a poor run of 15 games or so, most of which were actually draws. This was in spite of a decent 2.5 seasons prior to this wobble. Furthermore, these 'decent' 2.5 seasons were actually quite remarkable considering the budget within the division and the fact that he was a novice manager.

Penney has :censored: all to point back to and is now 28 games or so into both a 'poor' run, and his reign. If we lose tonight he HAS to go. He ought to have gone after Millwall, if not before.....the club is falling apart.

Surely all that matters is the form over the full season, or even the form as a whole during the former manager's tenure? :unsure:

And besides, Joe Royle was the manager for near enough the second half of the second half of last season. Sheridan was sacked following a poor run of 15 games or so, most of which were actually draws. This was in spite of a decent 2.5 seasons prior to this wobble. Furthermore, these 'decent' 2.5 seasons were actually quite remarkable considering the budget within the division and the fact that he was a novice manager.

Sheridan had a good first seasn. His second was so so. His third was very disappointing. By then he was hardly a novice and in all three seasons hisbudget wasn't miserly.

This year he has got a Chesterfield team who finished in the top 10 in the last two seasons to - the top 10.

Sheridan had a good first seasn. His second was so so. His third was very disappointing. By then he was hardly a novice and in all three seasons hisbudget wasn't miserly.

This year he has got a Chesterfield team who finished in the top 10 in the last two seasons to - the top 10.

Well - strictly speaking they are seventh... <_<

Bollocks.

His first season was almost outstanding given he was a novice with somebody else's squad. The football on show was as good as ever and crowds almost double what they are today. After TTA failed to provide in the January we fell away to what could then only be considered a very good season.

Considering the injury crisis of his second season (which matched anything Penney has had to deal with) an 8th place finish was good - not 'so so'. We also had a bit of cup run.

His third season resulted in him being sacked whilst we occupied 7th position, having been top. Hardly 'very disappointing'. How would you describe Penney entire reign??? Horrendous? Calamitous? :lol:

Shame Penney can't match that achievement.

It amazes me that people have the gall to still criticise Sheridan. I could kind of understand it whilst he was here - people often think the grass is greener. But to still do it today is plain stubborn in my book - we were like Brazil compared to today. He was a victim of his own success.

Hopefully TTA will soon bow to messageboard/fan pressure one last time (yet correctly for the first time) and sack Dave Penney along with Martin "kick it" Gray, or whatever his name is.

If Gannon were the manager, he would have an OWTB forum account and would be on here telling you lot to get real, and to shut the f**k up. :wink:

Am not entirely sure that would be too bad a thing, if he was honest and open with it. Some people on here can dish out the insults and criticism; am not convinced they can take it back!

Then, give me one shread of proof.

Jim Gannon that was at Motherwell who were going for a place in Europe.

Jim Gannon that is going to Peterbrough, who are in the Championship, and is going to throw money at keeping them there or get them back up.

We were never within a millions miles, and so your thread it not seriosu, and you are deluided if you ever think we were even within a country mile of cobeing considered, by him.

dont be ridiculous. He'd been visiting BP for the last month.

he has only signed at p'boro till end of the season. We are still a great choice for his wife as she doesnt want to move from the stockport/manchester area, hence why he never signed a long term deal at motherwell (or p'boro).

If we sack DP, give it ritchie/joe til may, keep us up then jim doesnt want to relocate and comes to us.

GET IN!!

Edited by shefflatic

We had the chance to get rid of Penney and bring in a manager of the quality of Jim Gannon. We fanny around and keep Penney despite shocking results and his miraculous ability to turn last years midtable team in to a bottom 4 team. Whilst we let Penney destroy our team, the only manager out there with quality and within our reach is snapped up by a championship club. We have missed a trick yet again just like we did when we brought in Penney instead of Gannon in the first place. Typical Oldham, shambles. There are now no other suitable candidates to replace Penney so looks like were stuck with that clown and destined for league 2 BRILLIANT! :ranting:

As much as many people want it happen, Penney won't be going anywhere, unless you want to start a whipround and then give Mr Corney or Mr Blitz a call when you get to about 150k.

As much as many people want it happen, Penney won't be going anywhere, unless you want to start a whipround and then give Mr Corney or Mr Blitz a call when you get to about 150k.

He could always do the honest thing - admit he is a failure and walk - but I can't see that somehow

Guest Scratch2000uk
Why the **** did we give him such a long contract in the first place, just plain stupid.

Probably because they are only giving him 50p a week.? :lol:

Edited by Scratch2000uk

Martin Allen perhaps? He's got a reasonable record in this league but there is no way he would ever come here the self-righteous, hypocritical :censored: .

God this one grates on me...heard it several times...Where the hell does this myth come from? Really??? Is it coz he's said so himself?

He takes them down more than a cheaper hooker!