Gregan, as Captain

I have often thought that the Captain is a crucial job.

I have seen Penney blamed, the TTA blamed, Stockport blamed, most of the rest of the team blamed, but not much on this as a reason for our current predicament.

Please note it is very important this is not about Gregan the player, most are is reporting him as the best and most consistent player all season. I think he is a class and wonderful player.

Opening a debate, clearly a lot of you go to more games than me so maybe this is an open question to you, but is he at his most effective in the Captains role?

Once on the pitch, we seem to need someone to take the game by the scruff of the next, push forward and not rely on dire tactics to stifle a game.

Is this bcause he is a defender?

He cannot dictate the game from afar, as we seem to get mired an lsoe or impetus in midfield.

Defenders can make good nay great captains, obviously, but is that when there are other quality players in the team, especially in front.

Clearly he can command the defence, usually, and our record in that recgard is pretty good.

Is it because he naturally finds it easier to find fault than inspire?

Do we need an inspiration leader at this moment in time?

I still think sean has the makings of a good manager, and he clearly leads by example in terms of fitness, and ability to push his body.

Maybe it reminds me of Beckham, the best player on the pitch is not neccesarily the best captain.

Of course, that leads to the question if not Gregan, then who?

And doing what I have pointed out, finding it easier to criticise, I am not sure I ahve the answer or see a natural leader in the team.

So, is the answer time for a slight change of approach for Sean?

Edited by singe

I have seen Penney blamed, the TTA blamed, Stockport blamed, most of the rest of the team blamed, but not much on this as a reason for our current predicament.

Please note it is very important this is not about Gregan the player, most are is reporting him as the best and most consistent player all season. I think he is a class and wonderful player.

Opening a debate, clearly a lot of you go to more games than me so maybe this is an open question to you, but is he at his most effective in the Captains role?

Once on the pitch, we seem to need someone to take the game by the scruff of the next, push forward and not rely on dire tactics to stifle a game.

He cannot dictate the game from afar, as we seem to get mired an lsoe or impetus in midfield.

Defenders can make good nay great captains, obviously, but is that when there are other quality players in the team, especially in front.

Clearly he can command the defence, usually, and our record in that recgard is pretty good.

Is it because he naturally finds it easier to find fault than inspire?

Do we need an inspiration leader at this moment in time?

I still think sean has the makings of a good manager, and he clearly leads by example in terms of fitness, and ability to push his body.

Maybe it reminds me of Beckham, the best player on the pitch is not neccesarily the best captain.

Of course, that leads to the question if not Gregan, then who?

And doing what I have pointed out, finding it easier to criticise, I am not sure I ahve the answer or see a natural leader in the team.

So, is the answer time for a slight change of approach for Sean?

I see where your coming from and you can see the frustration in his face when he delivers a sweet ball to the middlemen only for him or Rubes to get it back. Maybe his influence on the back line is the reason we concede so few and just maybe a talkative midfielder is needed just to link the forward play !!

We have nobody else that i would pass the armband onto. What are the options? Brill, Furman,Taylor, Colbek, Parker, Morrow - no thanks... The only other person i could think of would be Pav but he has been injured most the season.... I think Gregan is the best man for the job

We have nobody else that i would pass the armband onto. What are the options? Brill, Furman,Taylor, Colbek, Parker, Morrow - no thanks... The only other person i could think of would be Pav but he has been injured most the season.... I know Gregan is the best man for the job

:wink:

Step forward, Captain Casper!

IMO the captains role in football is overrated, even with a strong character like Gregan Latics are in the bottom four.

Every player should take responsibility on the pitch, and it's the duty of a manager to see that happens.

IMO the captains role in football is overrated, even with a strong character like Gregan Latics are in the bottom four.

Every player should take responsibility on the pitch, and it's the duty of a manager to see that happens.

Correct.

Some good observations though Singe and i guess it all comes down to a managers and fans perception as what makes a captain.

The John Terry debacle has highlighted that in Italy, they have the 'most capped' or most senior player as their captain, whilst our mentality is to give the captains armband to a 'leader' or the player most influential in the squad.

As BP has just stated, every player should lead in their position and take responsibility for their performance - but human nature dictates that some personalities are stronger than others on the pitch.

I believe a skipper should set examples in the way he goes about his job, lead from the front (even if he plays at the back, before some smartass responds!!), have an ability to 'lift' his players wether it be with a good 'talk', pass, run or tackle - his timing is critical - bollock certain players after a glaring miss and you've lost them for the game. A wink and a 'heads up' may have the opposite effect. See things that other players do not see as a game progress' and relate this to his teammates.

Gregan imo is head and shoulders above anyone else in the squad at the moment as a captain and i think this is part of the problem. As Singe and BP have pointed out - more need to take responsibility and allow Greegs to continue concentrating on his own game, with the odd encouraging word/bollocking, rather than having to wipe the arse of some of his fellow pros.

Winners and leaders all over the park win you football matches, not just 1! And boy have we not got enough at present.