Embrace that Relegation fight!

I read this today on the Grimsby Town fanzine website Cod Almighty. It's a bit, no a lot, like I feel as a Latics fan at the moment.

Mardy Diary writes: I'm not sure people are embracing this relegation battle in the proper spirit, you know. Is it just me that's excited by it? The anticipation of the win grows with each match – like a child waiting for a Christmas that feels like it'll never come. Sure, if we were 20-30 points adrift with a handful of games left, it might be time to start looking at the league below. But now? Come on – breathe it in – embrace the battle. It's exciting. If we were already in mid-table safety what would be the point of going to the match? What would we look forward to? It'd be like spending an afternoon in Debenhams. No – thrive off the excitement and energy. Personally, when we win I'm all ready to go abso-bloody-lutely mental. I'll probably throw myself down the Pontoon steps and break a few bones in all the excitement.

So another Monday when the messageboard geniuses spout forth with demands for the head of the manager – yeah, that'll work. And the doom merchants predict our demise, not just for this season but for many seasons to come. Me – this is food to me. Come on, bring the FIGHT! What are you all scared of?

Can our fans hack it though?

I love the thrill of a pre-latics game.

However, I Loved it on sat when we won and the team huddle, couldn't believe we were 4 down tonight and lost my nails when we clawed two back too.

Top of the table, mid or in a bottom of the table fight. I still love it an until that wears off, I'm still going to as many games as I can.

Oldham is my team end of

Can our fans hack it though?

I love the thrill of a pre-latics game.

However, I Loved it on sat when we won and the team huddle, couldn't believe we were 4 down tonight and lost my nails when we clawed two back too.

Top of the table, mid or in a bottom of the table fight. I still love it an until that wears off, I'm still going to as many games as I can.

Oldham is my team end of

In the third minute of injury time? You must have made quick work of 'em.

Mardy Diary writes: I'm not sure people are embracing this relegation battle in the proper spirit, you know. Is it just me that's excited by it? The anticipation of the win grows with each match – like a child waiting for a Christmas that feels like it'll never come. Sure, if we were 20-30 points adrift with a handful of games left, it might be time to start looking at the league below. But now? Come on – breathe it in – embrace the battle. It's exciting. If we were already in mid-table safety what would be the point of going to the match? What would we look forward to? It'd be like spending an afternoon in Debenhams. No – thrive off the excitement and energy. Personally, when we win I'm all ready to go abso-bloody-lutely mental. I'll probably throw myself down the Pontoon steps and break a few bones in all the excitement.

So another Monday when the messageboard geniuses spout forth with demands for the head of the manager – yeah, that'll work. And the doom merchants predict our demise, not just for this season but for many seasons to come. Me – this is food to me. Come on, bring the FIGHT! What are you all scared of?

Exactly what i feel like, id rather be fighting for play offs or fighting relegation than just being mid table boring nothing to play for, makes going latics a whole lot better.

I like Mardy Diary's philosophy. The 'Great Escape' season finale is always up there with our 'pinch me' moments when reminiscing about Latics.

His bit about "the doom merchants predict our demise, not just for this season but for many seasons to come" certainly rings a loud bell on here. What's the point in being deeply pessimistic about something you cannot rectify but can only watch? Life's too short to let Latics get you down. Accept that it's a roller-coaster ride - yes there's a chance it will get stuck at the top or will come off the rails, but you get onboard for the short-lived thrill, like the goal at Tranmere.

There will still be some thrills to come this season as we try to avoid the drop, and it may prove more exciting than the mid-table obscurity that many of us predicted before the season started. :comeon: