one very angry fan !

Posted by Cantstandsnomore-420 [user Info] on 20/2/2010, 9:51 am

I have been a latics fan for just shy of 30 years 15 of which I have been a season ticket holder even when I was in the forces, I have never been so disillusioned supporting athletic as I feel right now. I was lucky enough to watch latics rise to power from a similar position to what they find themselves in now in regards to league status and attendances and so on, I have always been proud to be a Oldhamer who supports his local team and town but at this moment I feel my patience is being tested to it’s limitations.

My first topic has to be the segregation of fans between the keep the faith brigade and the moaners, I consider myself a moaner and with good reason to, since Joe royal cleared his desk in 1994 the club has had a perils plight and I sadly have witnessed it all, terrible decision followed by terrible decision has cost athletic big and the trend seems to continue right through to this day. I really don’t know how much more of league 1, Bristol rovers and Hartlepool defeats at home on Tuesday nights I care to witness anymore, the fact is how any one can say keep the faith after paying £20.00 to watch the current dross on display and watching 16 years of misery is beyond me, ‘’go watch city then moaner I here you say‘’, point is everybody seems to gladly be taking your advice which may suggest the poor attendances and fan loss Latics have suffered, every club needs moaners and optimists or more to the point bums on seats to make the club a viable business, something which athletic are far from.

I don’t think any latics fan can argue that logistically boundary park is a perfect place for a redevelopment or new stadium, it’s right on the motorway with a retail park and acres of vacant land around it. While I appreciate the TTA have bank rolled and kept the club afloat and for this I thank them but lets face it these are not the men to realise athletics dream of a new stadium, simply put, they never have or never will have the finances for such a venture. I would rather athletic stay stagnant and remain as they are than move to a soulless flat pack ground with the capacity that matches the size of Leigh RMI’s new stadium. Oldham is a huge town with a huge population and we deserve a ground that represents what Bolton and Wigan have, not Leigh, this stadium proves the current owners harbour no ambition of latics ever being a top championship side never mind premier league side again, the fans will come back when success is gained on the pitch. If we where a championship side playing the likes of Newcastle, Sheff Wed and West Brom they would bring 5000 not to mention any big cup games, how is a 12,000-16,000 stadium going to cope with them fixtures and how much will athletic lose in income streams when a demand for tickets surpasses this capacity, instead this new generation of latics fan would rather see us move to the heartland of Manchester City and United when I feel we are more than close enough. What Latics fan in their right mind will travel from Oldham to Failsworth to watch Latics if the current team is anything to go by.

The difference between Latics and Bolton who themselves were getting dire crowds at Burnden Park when Latics were mixing it with the country’s best in the premier league is that they have a council that backs them. This town has no cinema, no bowling ally, no train service and mainly a council with no money. If the council put 20 million into a joint Latics & Roughyeds stadium on the current boundary park site i imagine the towns public would go mad cause there are other services the town needs to invest in. Bolton on the other hand has a great shopping centre and transport network so the public have no problem with the council helping the local team out. Both of Oldham’s sporting teams are going to the wall until the public of Oldham support both sides and the council help them achieve the boundary park dream, in the meantime the Roughyeds are going to be playing in limeside, an absolute disgraceful facility for a rugby team like Oldham, they both need to join forces like Wigan’s teams if they are to be a success.

Before everyone jumps on the failworth express remember this, boundary park’s poor atmosphere and facilities have been made worse by the TTA, one of the only reasons I loved going latics was a pint in the royal bar and Clayton arms, they should have never knocked that stand down until the bp development was set to go ahead cause all they have created is a monster 3 sided stadium with no acoustics, no drinking, no smoking and tosspot stewards, they cant event stock enough pies at ht, then they have the gaul, with that prick Barry Owen to say why are you not paying £20.00 to watch and support us, remember once latics have moved to a 12.000 seater stadium that is it for our children’s children and generations of latics fans , in ten years that ground will be run down and the club will be dead, just like Shrewsbury, Colchester and Darlington, lets wait and wait till the right owners with the funds come along so it can be done properly.

Finally I would like to add I am not for Penny or against him apart from the £6000 a week breakfast’s for the players something which I just don’t want to even start on. the fact remains we will still be in the lower leagues for many years to come, we need to build bridges between club and fans as this manger has no rapport or dialogue with the supporters. I would personally have Ritchie with Eyres or Redfearn as his number two. Ritchie got Barnsley out of this league so he has the tools, and being a club legend will get bums back on seats and give the club a piece of its soul back.

Things corney and the club have promised and how they piss us all off.

1 sports park 2000 (pre tta)

2 redevelopment of BP

3 Fearny field

4 revelation that penny wants £6000.00 a week for brecky’s ( no one needed to know)

5 Clayton arms and lookers being knocked down

6 would merge latics with bury and dale and that shocking MEN interview

7 All their managerial appointments.

8 public slander of fans that refuse to watch the :censored: on display at the prices they set

9 Not getting shut of Alan Hardy and the rest of the people that have been their twenty years robbing a living and set in their ways with his 60k salary and company car, while the club struggles.

10 Wigan and Bolton both paid 25 million for their new stadiums because they struck when the time was right, latics in the mean time have plodded on with the pipe dreams mentioned above.

Pissed of Latics fan who wants to be proud of my team again and for it to love us as much as we love it, I want to see some success in a stadium that warrants championship football- world cup training ground, my ring. Dead town dead club. Tin hat at the ready and let the games begin.

• Replies 103
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted by Cantstandsnomore-420 [user Info] on 20/2/2010, 9:51 am

I have been a latics fan for just shy of 30 years 15 of which I have been a season ticket holder even when I was in the forces, I have never been so disillusioned supporting athletic as I feel right now. I was lucky enough to watch latics rise to power from a similar position to what they find themselves in now in regards to league status and attendances and so on, I have always been proud to be a Oldhamer who supports his local team and town but at this moment I feel my patience is being tested to it’s limitations.

My first topic has to be the segregation of fans between the keep the faith brigade and the moaners, I consider myself a moaner and with good reason to, since Joe royal cleared his desk in 1994 the club has had a perils plight and I sadly have witnessed it all, terrible decision followed by terrible decision has cost athletic big and the trend seems to continue right through to this day. I really don’t know how much more of league 1, Bristol rovers and Hartlepool defeats at home on Tuesday nights I care to witness anymore, the fact is how any one can say keep the faith after paying £20.00 to watch the current dross on display and watching 16 years of misery is beyond me, ‘’go watch city then moaner I here you say‘’, point is everybody seems to gladly be taking your advice which may suggest the poor attendances and fan loss Latics have suffered, every club needs moaners and optimists or more to the point bums on seats to make the club a viable business, something which athletic are far from.

I don’t think any latics fan can argue that logistically boundary park is a perfect place for a redevelopment or new stadium, it’s right on the motorway with a retail park and acres of vacant land around it. While I appreciate the TTA have bank rolled and kept the club afloat and for this I thank them but lets face it these are not the men to realise athletics dream of a new stadium, simply put, they never have or never will have the finances for such a venture. I would rather athletic stay stagnant and remain as they are than move to a soulless flat pack ground with the capacity that matches the size of Leigh RMI’s new stadium. Oldham is a huge town with a huge population and we deserve a ground that represents what Bolton and Wigan have, not Leigh, this stadium proves the current owners harbour no ambition of latics ever being a top championship side never mind premier league side again, the fans will come back when success is gained on the pitch. If we where a championship side playing the likes of Newcastle, Sheff Wed and West Brom they would bring 5000 not to mention any big cup games, how is a 12,000-16,000 stadium going to cope with them fixtures and how much will athletic lose in income streams when a demand for tickets surpasses this capacity, instead this new generation of latics fan would rather see us move to the heartland of Manchester City and United when I feel we are more than close enough. What Latics fan in their right mind will travel from Oldham to Failsworth to watch Latics if the current team is anything to go by.

The difference between Latics and Bolton who themselves were getting dire crowds at Burnden Park when Latics were mixing it with the country’s best in the premier league is that they have a council that backs them. This town has no cinema, no bowling ally, no train service and mainly a council with no money. If the council put 20 million into a joint Latics & Roughyeds stadium on the current boundary park site i imagine the towns public would go mad cause there are other services the town needs to invest in. Bolton on the other hand has a great shopping centre and transport network so the public have no problem with the council helping the local team out. Both of Oldham’s sporting teams are going to the wall until the public of Oldham support both sides and the council help them achieve the boundary park dream, in the meantime the Roughyeds are going to be playing in limeside, an absolute disgraceful facility for a rugby team like Oldham, they both need to join forces like Wigan’s teams if they are to be a success.

Before everyone jumps on the failworth express remember this, boundary park’s poor atmosphere and facilities have been made worse by the TTA, one of the only reasons I loved going latics was a pint in the royal bar and Clayton arms, they should have never knocked that stand down until the bp development was set to go ahead cause all they have created is a monster 3 sided stadium with no acoustics, no drinking, no smoking and tosspot stewards, they cant event stock enough pies at ht, then they have the gaul, with that prick Barry Owen to say why are you not paying £20.00 to watch and support us, remember once latics have moved to a 12.000 seater stadium that is it for our children’s children and generations of latics fans , in ten years that ground will be run down and the club will be dead, just like Shrewsbury, Colchester and Darlington, lets wait and wait till the right owners with the funds come along so it can be done properly.

Finally I would like to add I am not for Penny or against him apart from the £6000 a week breakfast’s for the players something which I just don’t want to even start on. the fact remains we will still be in the lower leagues for many years to come, we need to build bridges between club and fans as this manger has no rapport or dialogue with the supporters. I would personally have Ritchie with Eyres or Redfearn as his number two. Ritchie got Barnsley out of this league so he has the tools, and being a club legend will get bums back on seats and give the club a piece of its soul back.

Things corney and the club have promised and how they piss us all off.

1 sports park 2000 (pre tta)

2 redevelopment of BP

3 Fearny field

4 revelation that penny wants £6000.00 a week for brecky’s ( no one needed to know)

5 Clayton arms and lookers being knocked down

6 would merge latics with bury and dale and that shocking MEN interview

7 All their managerial appointments.

8 public slander of fans that refuse to watch the :censored: on display at the prices they set

9 Not getting shut of Alan Hardy and the rest of the people that have been their twenty years robbing a living and set in their ways with his 60k salary and company car, while the club struggles.

10 Wigan and Bolton both paid 25 million for their new stadiums because they struck when the time was right, latics in the mean time have plodded on with the pipe dreams mentioned above.

Pissed of Latics fan who wants to be proud of my team again and for it to love us as much as we love it, I want to see some success in a stadium that warrants championship football- world cup training ground, my ring. Dead town dead club. Tin hat at the ready and let the games begin.

Brilliant post!

Same old :censored:e from someone who grew up watching Oldham on the rise and now cant handle the fact we are a league 1 team.

That doesnt mean things are good at the moment, just not as bad as some make out.

he stated that he started supporting the team when we were in a similar position as now. So are you happy about the current team and stadium proposal?

he stated that he started supporting the team when we were in a similar position as now. So are you happy about the current team and stadium proposal?

Just shy of 30 years would probably see the club in the equivalent of The Championship I would have thought.

Stadium proposal I am happy with, team hit and miss some good points some bad, its not making me suicidal.

Same old :censored:e from someone who grew up watching Oldham on the rise and now cant handle the fact we are a league 1 team.

That doesnt mean things are good at the moment, just not as bad as some make out.

30 years ago, we were in Div 2, it wasn't until 90/91 that we got promoted...so he didn't exactly start when we were "on the rise". In fact, if you count the "Pinch Me Season", promotion and three short years in the top flight, then 5 out of 30 years ain't much to write home about.

He's right, the stadium is a three-sided :censored: hole, where you can't have a pint or a ciggie and you may as well have to reserve a pie to ensure you get one at H/T, because the penny pinching means it's better to order too little than too much.

Why the :censored: should we be expected to shell out £20.00 to sit in a badly facilitated ground and watch the current dross on offer? Obviously, plenty of fans are asking themselves that very question and are voting with their feet.

You tell yourself that things aren't that bad if you want to, but they are. The TTA don't have the finances to deliver the dream at BP, the council haven't got the resources to help out local sport and the town of Oldham, in the light of other towns in the Northwest, is fast becoming a deprived area.

Things are definitely the worst they have been for a long long time.

Another little stat for you re attendances, our lowest average attendance figure since we were relegated from the Prem was ritchies last season in charge, 2000/2001, when it was 4972. So far this season, our average league attendance is 5007, a full 640 down on last seasons 5647, and I would say the only home game we have left likely to attract an attendance above 5000 is norwich at home.

I will give credit where its due to the club for trying various offers to get fans through the gate, but I think the poor take up of these shows that it is not necessarily price that is the problem at the moment, its what you are getting for your £££ in return.

[quote name='Wardie' date='Feb 20 2010, 19:39 PM' post='364401'

Why the censored.gif should we be expected to shell out £20.00 to sit in a badly facilitated ground and watch the current dross on offer?

we shouldn't that's why we are moving to a state of the art brand spanking new four stand stadium with bars and new catering facilities...

CAN'T WAIT :grin: :grin:

And for the record, why does this guy think we will simply 'stay stagnant' if w stay here?

This is not a pro or anti failsworth rant, some people are for failsworth, some against. If we do not get a new stadium and soon, whether this stadium be here or failsworth, we will sink, and we will sink fast, as TTA have said they will bring the club within its income means, and I would wager that on crrent crowds, that would be a very average league 2 budget.

And for the record, why does this guy think we will simply 'stay stagnant' if w stay here?

This is not a pro or anti failsworth rant, some people are for failsworth, some against. If we do not get a new stadium and soon, whether this stadium be here or failsworth, we will sink, and we will sink fast, as TTA have said they will bring the club within its income means, and I would wager that on crrent crowds, that would be a very average league 2 budget.

I don't actually mind the prospect of being an average league 2 team. Just as long as we have the stadium capacity and capability to move up the leagues again. Living the dream and all that :grin:

Edited by laticsmad

£6000 a week for breakfasts????

£60k a year for breakfasts and lunches according to the OS.

http://www.oldhamathletic.co.uk/page/NewsU...1900398,00.html (do a <FIND> on "£60k").

£1200 a week.

£240 a day.

£10 a player per day for a squad of 24.

Not too excessive if it keeps control of diet and fitness.

Edited by opinions4u