Exeter Post Game Thread

We should have scrapped for all three though in what was a very winnable game. I could accept the result if we really had a good go at them and really went for it. We didn't do this.

Not a single shot in the first half, one or two in the second, and we were only saved from defeat by a penalty saved where it matters. We were desperate for three points today, we had the personnel on the field who were good enough to get three points from this game.

I'm assuming you didn't go today, so I'm just curious at to how you have assessed how we played, and determined that we didn't scrap for all 3 point apart from basing it on statistics on 4 or 5 criteria?

• Replies 96
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm assuming you didn't go today, so I'm just curious at to how you have assessed how we played, and determined that we didn't scrap for all 3 point apart from basing it on statistics on 4 or 5 criteria?

No your right i didn't go, but I know people who have done and I have no reason not to trust their judgement.

It isn't so much the draw although that is a bad outcome, it is the things we have to build on and be positive about for the next supposidly 6 winnable games.

ONE - YES - ONE SHOT ON GOAL FOR THE ENTIRE GAME from a PROFESSIONAL TEAM is an absolute DISGRACE!

Southend lost 3-0 and managed 3 on 4 off.

We will not win another game this month with this goon in charge, i am betting you that now.

PENNEY OUT!

I'll take that bet...£20...we'll win another game this month with this "goon" in charge!

That today was a crucial point and judging by what went on at the end i'd take it all day long! Shame Southampton didn't live up to their billing but it all hinges on Tuesday now, Beat or draw against Orient and watch Tranny who will stumble against Leeds who must really put in a performance of their lives there to re-cement their auto spot,

Then onto Saturday with a win against Wycombe a distinct possibility and Tranny in for a bashing against a rejuvenated Bristol Rovers who won 4-0 away at Swindon today.

Things might look a hell of alot rosier in a weeks time :grin:

When that fat lady starts to sing start to worry till then keep believing....David will keep us up but we need to back him and back the players to ala keigan :grin: :grin:

sounds like `white lines` are going through your mind.........baby!!

Obviously statistics can't tell you how we actually performed in terms of passion etc., but when a statistic tells us that the team had the ball for almost 75% of the time, then they are obviously not having to battle with the opposition to get it, or retain it.

The number of attempts at goal, quite frankly, is pathetic and the fact that Exeter saw so little of the ball, yet mustered more attempts on goal than Latics surely tells the tale of the way we played. As I said, I was quite optimistic when I saw that we had Price and Nardiello on and thought that maybe Penney was going to use Price in his previous incarnation as a wide-right player, with the option to support the attack.

I actually believed we would score two or three goals today.

Penney's tactics negated that belief.

We tried playing 3 strikers to take it to them. It didn't work. Was a mistake in hindsight. Managers make them...we've 5 home games and a game vs basement side Stockport. I'll take that!

It took him long enough to work this out, seeing as Price wasn't substituted until nearly midway through the second half.

Obviously statistics can't tell you how we actually performed in terms of passion etc., but when a statistic tells us that the team had the ball for almost 75% of the time, then they are obviously not having to battle with the opposition to get it, or retain it.

The number of attempts at goal, quite frankly, is pathetic and the fact that Exeter saw so little of the ball, yet mustered more attempts on goal than Latics surely tells the tale of the way we played. As I said, I was quite optimistic when I saw that we had Price and Nardiello on and thought that maybe Penney was going to use Price in his previous incarnation as a wide-right player, with the option to support the attack.

It took him long enough to work this out, seeing as Price wasn't substituted until nearly midway through the second half.

It just shows that the players are playing inhibited by fear we are frightened of making mistakes and theirfore frightened to try shots its been a problem for the whole season lack of belief.

It isn't so much the draw although that is a bad outcome, it is the things we have to build on and be positive about for the next supposidly 6 winnable games.

ONE - YES - ONE SHOT ON GOAL FOR THE ENTIRE GAME from a PROFESSIONAL TEAM is an absolute DISGRACE!

Southend lost 3-0 and managed 3 on 4 off.

We will not win another game this month with this goon in charge, i am betting you that now.

PENNEY OUT!

I'm not particularly pleased with how we're playing, but people are just looking for a scapegoat (as per usual) and blatently making things up. Where has this one shot at goal thing come from? I wasn't there but from the commentary I heard, Gregan's shot (the goal), Whits goal bound shot got blocked by Pav, Taylor headed one straight at the keeper and another just wide and Pav headed one over the bar when it was easier to score. So I was half asleep after getting in from the gym and I can remember 5 shots off the top of my head in the second half alone. I think we'll stay up, the players are good enough, it's not all about the tactics and manager, some of our players need to take a look at themselves and a look at Gregan who's been head and shoulders above the rest all season.

No your right i didn't go, but I know people who have done and I have no reason not to trust their judgement.

Are you saying you've had a chat with someone on their way back?

Which site is saying 75% possession to exeter (presumably)?

I'm not particularly pleased with how we're playing, but people are just looking for a scapegoat (as per usual) and blatently making things up. Where has this one shot at goal thing come from? I wasn't there but from the commentary I heard, Gregan's shot (the goal), Whits goal bound shot got blocked by Pav, Taylor headed one straight at the keeper and another just wide and Pav headed one over the bar when it was easier to score. So I was half asleep after getting in from the gym and I can remember 5 shots off the top of my head in the second half alone. I think we'll stay up, the players are good enough, it's not all about the tactics and manager, some of our players need to take a look at themselves and a look at Gregan who's been head and shoulders above the rest all season.

You can't expect an opinion like yours, based on live radio commentary, to be more accurate than one based on a single website's 5 stat summary. Pah.

I think it was mean't as one shot on target.

The report mentions one attempt in the first half and three in the second half. It's a pity Whittaker's shot didn't hit Gregan instead of Abbott. It might have gone in. :wink:

You can't expect an opinion like yours, based on live radio commentary, to be more accurate than one based on a single website's 5 stat summary. Pah.

Quite true...but when stats are all you have to go off, then you draw your own conclusions.

I suppose we will have to wait for the travelers to return and give us their input.

That today was a crucial point and judging by what went on at the end i'd take it all day long! Shame Southampton didn't live up to their billing but it all hinges on Tuesday now, Beat or draw against Orient and watch Tranny who will stumble against Leeds who must really put in a performance of their lives there to re-cement their auto spot,

Then onto Saturday with a win against Wycombe a distinct possibility and Tranny in for a bashing against a rejuvenated Bristol Rovers who won 4-0 away at Swindon today.

Things might look a hell of alot rosier in a weeks time :grin:

i hope youre right. im not as bothered about results, i just want the team to shoot and show they want to play in league one next season.

Just got home from game ( i live in cornwall before anyone says anything) and i have to say there is a lot of rubbish on here already ,we had more than 1 effort on target all game for sure as price missed a sitter after about 40 mins from 7 yards . Yes price appeared to play wide right in a 3 man attack but that was hopeless as the guys a centre forward not a winger although he tried. It was a game between 2 poor teams yes but we did not deserve to lose which 2 ludicrous penalty decisions nearly made us, where these refs come from i have no idea cos both where fouls by exeter players on hazell NOT the other way round.Brill was fine today and looked assured gregs was awesome but sorry if we gotta rely on fancy flicker abbot to stay up we really are doomed he was cack! stephens was lucky to stay on the pitch after an awful 1st half challenge and it wasnt until we went behind that we seemed to want to win and taylor had a couple of headers he maybe should have done better with.On the whole a draw is better than a lose and if we can win our home games we will be okay , well done to the 393 fans who turned up today and to be fair most players did at least appear to care ...

Just got home from game ( i live in cornwall before anyone says anything) and i have to say there is a lot of rubbish on here already ,we had more than 1 effort on target all game for sure as price missed a sitter after about 40 mins from 7 yards . Yes price appeared to play wide right in a 3 man attack but that was hopeless as the guys a centre forward not a winger although he tried. It was a game between 2 poor teams yes but we did not deserve to lose which 2 ludicrous penalty decisions nearly made us, where these refs come from i have no idea cos both where fouls by exeter players on hazell NOT the other way round.Brill was fine today and looked assured gregs was awesome but sorry if we gotta rely on fancy flicker abbot to stay up we really are doomed he was cack! stephens was lucky to stay on the pitch after an awful 1st half challenge and it wasnt until we went behind that we seemed to want to win and taylor had a couple of headers he maybe should have done better with.On the whole a draw is better than a lose and if we can win our home games we will be okay , well done to the 393 fans who turned up today and to be fair most players did at least appear to care ...

Thanks Smithers. At least we home-lovers can start to get a better idea of how the game actually went. :wink:

Are you saying you've had a chat with someone on their way back?

That would be correct, and this person told me had we have gone for it today, we probably would have got all three points.

EDIT: Spoke to a 2nd friend who went to the game and echoed the same sentiment.

Have zero reason to question either judgement,

Very poor result and the manner in which we got it is even more worrying,but not suprising.

Im expecting the worst now,all this talk of 5 home games is irrelevant.We aint good enough,its really that simple.

Very poor result and the manner in which we got it is even more worrying,but not suprising.

Im expecting the worst now,all this talk of 5 home games is irrelevant.We aint good enough,its really that simple.

good golly miss molly i'm going to blinking well swear now....BUMFLUFF AND TRAINS GOING IN TUNNELS....we have lost three on the bounce exeter are fighting for there lives we went a goal down we clawed back mr brill saved a penalty one point in the onion bag that we shouldn't by all the rules of probobility got..as that great leader said on the sinking of belgrano..REJOICE...grrrrrrrr we ain't good enough well poppycock and wurzels to that theory....

good golly miss molly i'm going to blinking well swear now....BUMFLUFF AND TRAINS GOING IN TUNNELS....we have lost three on the bounce exeter are fighting for there lives we went a goal down we clawed back mr brill saved a penalty one point in the onion bag that we shouldn't by all the rules of probobility got..as that great leader said on the sinking of belgrano..REJOICE...grrrrrrrr we ain't good enough well poppycock and wurzels to that theory....

You seriously think this side is good enough to stay up?

i don't share your optimism sadly.

I'll actually pionpoint why we will go down,the flanks.We have no right winger and chris 'i was decent for a seaon but now i,m conference material' taylor.BTW anyone suggesting taylor has been anythiing better than oldham sunday league this season is de-ranged.

You seriously think this side is good enough to stay up?

i don't share your optimism sadly.

I'll actually pionpoint why we will go down,the flanks.We have no right winger and chris 'i was decent for a seaon but now i,m conference material' taylor.BTW anyone suggesting taylor has been anythiing better than oldham sunday league this season is de-ranged.

Well i don't really know ,But it ain't half leading up to a cracking end of season finish...Last game of the season we need to win charlton need a point ,Charlton take a comfortable one nil lead into half time ...the doom brigade have already appointed there new manager then hey ho up pops daves masterplan of goes that showponey abbot..on comes uncle fester ..in the meantime keigan gets a well deserved equaliser then after 92 nminutes of play PENALTY up pops fester to take it NEED I CARRY ON...

it's just a rollercoaster

we'll easily stay up, look at who we've got at home, still want penney out as i have done for months due to the negativity, never forgive him for what happened at wycombe ffs 2-1 up cruising all over them against ten men, last twenty minutes we go defensive and the inevitiable happens.

Well i don't really know ,But it ain't half leading up to a cracking end of season finish...Last game of the season we need to win charlton need a point ,Charlton take a comfortable one nil lead into half time ...the doom brigade have already appointed there new manager then hey ho up pops daves masterplan of goes that showponey abbot..on comes uncle fester ..in the meantime keigan gets a well deserved equaliser then after 92 nminutes of play PENALTY up pops fester to take it NEED I CARRY ON...

it's just a rollercoaster

i'll have some of what you are smoking.