The Fans Are Killing The Club...

Thats my view anyways, whilst not solely to blame need to take their share and do something about it. Sadly I don't think anything will be. OAFC is no family club, it's a nasty, poisonous club that will go round and round in circles until the club goes under.

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Thats my view anyways, whilst not solely to blame need to take their share and do something about it. Sadly I don't think anything will be. OAFC is no family club, it's a nasty, poisonous club that will go round and round in circles until the club goes under.

I think the club I loved died in 2004 to be frank... I think the family club element died around then...

Its pretty awful on here tonight... A lot of abuse and in fighting...

Edited by oafc0000

I agree to an extent with the OP.

Recently, opinions4u said something along the lines of 'the club has cancer - the tumour is on the terraces'....sadly, it's pretty spot on. I think the same can be applied to the town and borough as well. It's the residents of this town who do the most damage with their constant, cynical, naive, negative sniping.

Edited by Yard Dog

Recently, opinions4u said something along the lines of 'the club has cancer - the tumour is on the terraces'....sadly, it's pretty spot on. I think the same can be applied to the town and borough as well. It's the residents of this town who do the most damage with their constant, cynical, naive, negative sniping.

have you ever thought that the negative ,cynical ,naive ,constant piss taking way that the club treats the fans may have a little part to play in the whole senario :ranting:

It's on the terraces, it's on here. People who think it's clever and funny to abuse the club, players, other fans. It makes me sick. Not enough is done to reverse this and the mob rules.

You can edit all the swearwords and abuse you want, it's still there and they will carry on doing it unless someone starts to do something proper about it.

Get a grip, Oldham is like everywhere else. Get a winning side from a winning club with a winning board and bingo.................. crowds, smiles, songs and swagger.

We were a winning side until the end of 2008, the problems begun before then.

I wish I knew.

I'll tell ya. A board that wants to win, a club united (sorry) going forward, a club that players want to join, a club that players sweat blood to stay in the side, a club that as success as it's odour. Football and happiness is simple. Win.

Edited by Lags

I'll tell ya. A board that wants to win, a club united (sorry) going forward, a club that players want to join, a club that players sweat blood to stay in the side, a club that as success as it's odour. Football and happiness is simple. Win.

We don't have any of that...

Penney and his negative boring crap football are bringing attendances near to under 3k .... not us lot who turn up week in week out.

I never said Penney and his tactics weren't contributing to the decline. I stopped going properly during Shez's era when the football was a 100 times better and we were in the play offs and that for me was a lot to do with the fans.

I don't expect you to see this though, you are only supporting the team afterall.

As a kid I saw a lot of football. Every penny I earned/scrounged off parents was spent on watching football.

I lived near Stockport, went to Edgeley Park, Maine Road, Old Trafford, paid 10p each way on the old 400 bus to get up to Bury, Rochdale and Oldham - who were a half decent division 2 side in those days ... usually in the top half of the table, rarely threatening anything more. Occasionally popped over to Altrincham on the 371 to see a top non-league outfit.

I saw some real :censored:, especially at Stockport and Rochdale.

But there was a humour at County, even when they were losing at places like Telford and Carnarfon, about how bad they were, and an acceptance at Rochdale. Maybe the boo-boys had disappeared years earlier, or maybe they never existed. I don't know.

United fans appeared genuinely encouraging (they have moved on to better things since) while City fans always had to have a boo boy, but on the whole got behind their team. I remember little about Bury and Oldham back then to be fair. But I didn't have any awareness of the negativity in the crowd that we experience at BP today.

The dark humour of the football fan is one of the things that attracted me to the game. There are only 4 sides out of 92 in the country that can actually win their league, so for a football fan the expectation of 3 or 4 titles in their lifetime is something that they immediately need to adjust to. And that's an average, so the Liverpool, Arsenal, Chelsea and Manchester Utd fans who have seen their sides succeed so much in the last 40 years have been really lucky.

Getting back to Boundary Park for the Wycombe game ... Latics were on top in the first half. They were playing reasonably well. Taylor was a threat and Smalley was having a decent game, perhaps buoyed by his goal in midweek. Wycombe were getting at us a little more than Orient had done a few days earlier, but in truth the game was there for the taking. Then a couple of moments of bad luck struck. A penalty and a goalkeeping error and Latics, despite having been the better side, were behind.

Within seconds many fans near me had turned on the manager. Despite a fairly promising display, nobody anywhere within earshot of me came out with any shouts of encouragement to the team. That old roar of "come on" as a team returns to the centre circle to kick off again just doesn't happen at BP. I don't think I can remember it happening at BP over the few years I've been going week in week out. I fully agree with the points that the team/club has to give the fans something to shout about. But on Tuesday and yesterday first half I think the players delivered on that. Not perfectly, but they gave it a go. A goalkeeping blunder and instead of willing the team back in to the game a vile hatred eminated from the terraces. While I have sympathy with those who feel something about the manager needs changing (his tactics or his name) the inability to back the team at that moment was piss poor.

I think of the stick a 19 year full back got when he was elevated to captain and made the odd error (depsite having more about him as a footballer than most others on the pitch). I even think of the play-off semi-final against Blackpool when there was a real chance of promotion and the town couldn't even find 9,000 people willing to pay £18 for a ticket. Some of the stick the younger players got at the end of last season when they were thrown in at the deep end was also poor.

I'm having a strange experience in my employment at the moment. I'm probably working harder than I have done for years. It's a tough environment and I'm producing bigger and better outputs just to keep my job. My boss rarely acknowledges this, or only picks up on the occasional error. The lack of the acknowledgement for the good stuff is irritating. Having the errors highlighted without the context of the good stuff is soul destroying. It makes me think "why the feck do I bother?".

It's been a poor season at BP. Possibly worse from a footballing viewpoint than I saw in my youth at Rochdale and Stockport. But for a game and a half the players have put in a decent shift. I wonder how many of them were thinking "why the feck do I bother?" when the crowd turned yesterday - seconds after it went wrong?

I'd probably be thinking "get paid, get out at the end of the season and get a deal elsewhere". I wouldn't be upping my game for them.

There's lots of things not quite right about Oldham Athletic. But they aren't significantly different to many other lower league clubs. Somewhere along the way large sections of the fanbase decided that getting behind their team was not the reason to turn up on a Saturday. Abusing those who they should be encouraging is the new past time.

6,000 went to Goodison Park? Perhaps if the spirit shown on the terraces that day could be revived at BP there would be hope of ongoing improvement.

While TTA and the manager have a part to play in turning this club round, it's time the fans took their responsibility and genuinely, as one, get behind the side.

What a crock of :censored:e. You are honestly trying to sell this drivel to people? So it's us fans who are responsible for the slow decline since our heady Premiership days???? Nothing to do with poor performance from players/management/owners. You're a joke.

If highly paid, professional players haven't got it within them to get themselves up for a game, to show some professional pride, then they should change their career. They're grown men FFS, and should be able to take criticism..

If you lot want to link arms and sing kum-by-yah and stroke their sodding egos whilst they take the club into League 2, then knock yourselves out. Me and all the other realists? We'll do our thing instead.

Get a grip, the lot of you.

What a crock of :censored:e. You are honestly trying to sell this drivel to people? So it's us fans who are responsible for the slow decline since our heady Premiership days???? Nothing to do with poor performance from players/management/owners. You're a joke.

If highly paid, professional players haven't got it within them to get themselves up for a game, to show some professional pride, then they should change their career. They're grown men FFS, and should be able to take criticism..

If you lot want to link arms and sing kum-by-yah and stroke their sodding egos whilst they take the club into League 2, then knock yourselves out. Me and all the other realists? We'll do our thing instead.

Get a grip, the lot of you.

i think that it's a little of the ying and the yang...bad players bad supporters running in unison ..somewhere along the line it needs to be broken,Thats the magic formula that no one seems to have the answer to ..till then i'll keep on smiling and supporting the team to the best of my ability :grin: :grin: :grin:

The team put in a shift for a game and a half. The fans turn on them in seconds. That's not a fair deal to me.

Worthwhile and constructive criticism is one thing. When it becomes destructive there is little point to it.

There's some :censored: around the club. Not arguing with you. I don't see any need for the fans to make it worse though.

The team put in a shift for a game and a half. The fans turn on them in seconds. That's not a fair deal to me.

Worthwhile and constructive criticism is one thing. When it becomes destructive there is little point to it.

There's some :censored: around the club. Not arguing with you. I don't see any need for the fans to make it worse though.

The thing is O4u, it's not just in response to the last game. Or two. Or even half a dozen. There was no "Penney out" or " "get out of our club" up until fairly recentley. The team and the manager have had until now to get it sorted, but insist on putting out the same old tired displays. Enough is enough.

Are you suggesting that under-performance should be ignored and blindly clapped and cheered? The vast majority of fans have been clapping and cheering for the vast majority of the season and it doesn't seem to have done much good so far has it? Staring relegation in the face and we're supposed to be happy with it and not speak up? Not in this lifetime.

maybe the fans have now got to the stage where they are not willing to put up with it any longer..i must admit i cringe sometimes at the comments shouted at games....some people just shout and hurl abuse for the fun of it.

however the owners need to shoulder some blame for this,instead of bemoaning theres and ours luck all the time...instead of stumping up 3.5 million out of there own pockets for the bae land,without knowing if they could put a stadium on it...why the hell cant they say bang....theres 3.5 million for players..get us the right ones and get us out of this :censored:ty league.

until there prepared to do that we will always have this vicious circle and disgruntleness..there expecting promotion on a shoe string budget with lower league players and the odd decent one thrown in

I think its a mixture of everything, but I think if we had a competent council ala Hull Council, Manchester City Council, council who were 100 percent behind professional sport in the town and committed to doing everything they can to support the club, I think this would help tremendously.

The thoughts of whats on the horizon don't help either.

If the first bricks were currently being laid for the original boundary park redevelopment where the lookers was, the mood may be somewhat different. Instead (will have to be careful how I word this), on the horizon is a move to failsworth which a good proportion of our fans are vehemently opposed to for various reasons and the prospect of League 2 Football.

Life has become so much better since I stopped coming on here so much....... you should all try it, you will be far less angry and :censored: off with all things Latics. You can just get on with being a Latics fan and stop arguing with fellow fans all the time.

What he said...

Since lowering my input greatly I am happier... as I am sure you all are :lol:

Life has become so much better since I stopped coming on here so much....... you should all try it, you will be far less angry and :censored: off with all things Latics. You can just get on with being a Latics fan and stop arguing with fellow fans all the time.

lol ... I'd have to talk to the wife more if I did that!