Town Centre brawl leaves young lad dead

Yard Dog

If Sankeys holds 2000 people then I've never been. I'd say it holds half that, at the very most, and it is usually full or thereabouts.

Now, this actually supports your point, but then I've never seen trouble at any other dance venue either, bar out of a bloke with an ear missing at Cream. But then he did have a box of Stella on his table, bless him. :rolleyes: The reason there is next to no trouble is simple - it's because next to nobody is pissed.

I shouldn't worry about long-term effects of ecstasy; absolutely everything is ok in moderation, I assure you. Besides, people a hell of a lot more qualified than you or I will ever be have confirmed it to be safe. Even heroin is harmless. Somewhat amazing given the taboo but absolutely true.

I applaud the sentiment but, and I am admittedly making an assumption here, it is drug related. My assumption is that they were both high on alcohol and that the incident wouldn't have happened had they not been. It's wrong that our laws, policies and consequently culture only increase the frequency of tragedies such as this and yet I'm often made out to be an idiot, always by ill-informed mainstream kind of people, when I preach about the unnecessary harm our crazy ways cause. Worst of all, issues of violence are just the tip of the iceberg when it comes to illogical drug policy - you touched on some of the other key issues yourself. Good to see we're not always on different pages. :wink:

On the brightside, people are taking their heads out of the sand so it shouldn't go on for ever and, just for the record, I do like a drink and indulge most weekends. :lol:

I remember the lad from when i was a DJ in baileys bar oldham, he did like to dablle in a few things but was always a pleasant lad, after playing his song would sometimes come over and offer me a drink to say thank you,

its just disgusting that people seem to want to be like the thugs they see on tele and wont think twice about going too far to get themselves a reputation, and with another murder in such close proximity, aswell as the reputation oldham is getting, i think the council needs to seriously reconsider its stance on allowing new licences in the town,

the sooner we can get rid of this black mark against the towns name the better

I suppose that is a large part of it.

I probably only visit a couple of times a year on nights out. I do remember not too long back when I started to go to town, early 2000's, there was a wide range of ages out even on a Saturday evening and then around midnight it'd be left to the younger ones to carry on drinking. Slowly the younger crowd took control and the older lot seemed to stop coming into town. Then it started to resemble a youth club. I'm not saying there wasn't bother when there was a larger range of ages but there was much less.

I worked in a couple of town centre bars in the early 2000s and there was indeed a wide and varied clientele. The idiots were always there, but the normal folk far outnumbered them. There were always fights on Yorkshire Street at chucking out time; we used to sit and watch from the comfort (and warmth) of our place of work, laughing at the rather bizarre behaviour on display. But it still didn't quite resemble the Wild West. Basically, you're spot on.

I miss those days.

I worked in a couple of town centre bars in the early 2000s and there was indeed a wide and varied clientele. The idiots were always there, but the normal folk far outnumbered them. There were always fights on Yorkshire Street at chucking out time; we used to sit and watch from the comfort (and warmth) of our place of work, laughing at the rather bizarre behaviour on display. But it still didn't quite resemble the Wild West. Basically, you're spot on.

I miss those days.

It's an even bigger shame that those aged around 16-22 are only really aware of how it is now. It was actually a pretty decent night out which now would seem a crazy thing to say. Fortunately I am a touch older than that so can remember the last time friends didn't actually mind going up.

Too many under age, too much cheap drugs, too many steroid users and that's without the bouncers, too many Friday and Saturday night heroes. Sadly like the rest of the town, I doubt it'll ever recover.

It's an even bigger shame that those aged around 16-22 are only really aware of how it is now. It was actually a pretty decent night out which now would seem a crazy thing to say. Fortunately I am a touch older than that so can remember the last time friends didn't actually mind going up.

Too many under age, too much cheap drugs, too many steroid users and that's without the bouncers, too many Friday and Saturday night heroes. Sadly like the rest of the town, I doubt it'll ever recover.

I'm 35 now, due to my odd border-hopping childhood I did a lot more of my early drinking in Rochdale than Oldham, I always reckoned Rochdale was better for clubs but Oldham was better for a proper pub drinking night. Given Rochdale's clubs have all closed and Oldham still has some pubs this might still hold true.

It's not that long ago that Tokyos was a genuinely great place to end the night, but that too went down the pan. And I always considered that the 'safe haven'.

Some of the lads on here will know him properly, but the DJ who looked like Jack Osbourne (a little bit) was fantastic. Gilly came along and was okay for a bit, but then he got comfortable and just played the same songs, in the same order, every week. Plus the cardigan-and-Toni-and-Gay-haircut brigade took over and it became a bit of a sausage fest. Bad times.

I'm 35 now, due to my odd border-hopping childhood I did a lot more of my early drinking in Rochdale than Oldham, I always reckoned Rochdale was better for clubs but Oldham was better for a proper pub drinking night. Given Rochdale's clubs have all closed and Oldham still has some pubs this might still hold true.

you lost me at rochdale :wink:

It's not that long ago that Tokyos was a genuinely great place to end the night, but that too went down the pan. And I always considered that the 'safe haven'.

Some of the lads on here will know him properly, but the DJ who looked like Jack Osbourne (a little bit) was fantastic. Gilly came along and was okay for a bit, but then he got comfortable and just played the same songs, in the same order, every week. Plus the cardigan-and-Toni-and-Gay-haircut brigade took over and it became a bit of a sausage fest. Bad times.

True enough.

They make a fortune selling them their alcopops though. I speak as someone related to an ex Tokyo's manager :ph34r:

The young have more disposable income and can be guaranteed to turn up 3 out of every 4 weeks, every week in some cases, drink as much as they can and make the owners a small fortune. They were never interested in the crowd they brought in or lost, just the money that can be and is made.

As you say, bad times.

Anyone who thinks Oldham 2010 is worse for violence than the Oldham of the early 'noughties' (hate that term) clearly doesn't go out in Oldham much. Some :censored:e spouted on this thread by people who clearly rarely, if ever, go up town.

I remember Rochdale going through a phase of being pretty popular and we started out drinking there much more than Oldham/Royton. Then it just seemed to die on its arse. No clubs there now and not that many people milling about at night, however, perversely, this could be turning into a good thing as it has meant it's pretty chilled out and there isn't anything like as much trouble (with there being hardly anyone about) and those people who are out in 'dale largely spend their last few hours all piling in to the same two or three late licensed bars (as there's nowhere else to go) which end up getting reasonably busy....I can see Rochdale becoming more popular again. Things do tend to go in cycles....

As said by someone else though, Rochdale's currently :censored:e for venues - there's no clubs really...nothing in Rochdale like an Envy, Tokyo's, Jackson's Pit, Castle, 'Rude' nights, The Lounge...etc

Edited by Yard Dog

Anyone who thinks Oldham 2010 is worse for violence than the Oldham of the early 'noughties' (hate that term) clearly doesn't go out in Oldham much. Some :censored:e spouted on this thread by people who clearly rarely, if ever, go up town.

:grin:

Once this year. Saw a minor fracas, had to drag one fella away. Parents can be so embarrassing...

:grin:

Once this year. Saw a minor fracas, had to drag one fella away. Parents can be so embarrassing...

:laught16::laught16::laught16:

He's like that every Friday. Exactly the same script. Nothing ever comes of it, if you'd let go he would have called the guy a :censored:, told him how much money he puts over the bar, informed him that he's been in the pub trade for nearly 40 years ("So don't try to bull:censored: me!"), and then stormed off sulking and vowing never to step foot in there again.

Or had he already done that bit - I can't remember? :grin::grin:

It should be mentioned that the following Friday he went in the same pub through the side door wearing a pair of reading glasses so that he wouldn't be recognised!

His face was a picture when the guy immediately walked up and offered his hand, saying "Let's pretend it never happened".

He just grunted "Yer, ok" and went bright red :lol:

That aside, there are too many 3 o'clock soldiers in the town now, who are only happy if they've proved themselves to their mates before they go home. Trouble is, these days, if someone doesn't want trouble they won't take no for an answer, and still stick one on someone just for the hell of it.

Gone are the days when a drunken argument ended with one person chinning the other and then walking away (And probably buying the other a drink!), nowadays they want to stick the boot into a victim until they've hospitalised them too.

Happens all over, but mostly where there are kids trying to earn a reputation. Thing is, they're not smart enough to realise that they've got to live up to that rep when someone bigger and harder comes along - that's usually when the weapons come out. Cowards.