Stockport Post Game Thread

• Replies 155
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Like the most fickle of football fans, I’ve changed my mind about getting rid of Dave Penney.

I'm actually starting to see a few positives in Penney's work here. While Latics teams under say Sheridan would go and get a result at places like Elland Road, the same side would then more than likely go and lose a game like tonight’s. We seem to be picking up points in games where we "should" be doing so under Penney. If we go on a bit of a run now and get a few wins from the remaining games, I'd go as far as saying Penney might have cracked the "all we need to do is turn up" attitude that have spoiled past seasons.

If Penney can build a decent squad over the summer and believe his teams can go and have a go at the likes of Leeds and Norwich , who knows? Maybe we've made the right appointment!

Agree with that.

Tonight's result has convinced me that we'll have enough about us to stay up (just), but it's also convinced me that Penney has a big job to do next season if he's to avoid the sack. I'm very happy that we have the most solid defence since Dowie was in charge imo but we've got deep attacking problems. It's not just changing one or two players it's about changing the whole mentality of the midfield and forward players and putting an attacking strategy in place that can actually make us look threatening. I'm far from convinced from this season that Penney has it in him to do this.

Also if we do make the radical change to our attack that is needed it could easily unsettle the defensive foundation that we've built. I think the hard work for Penney has only just begun.

Wouldn`t really call it a gamble. We were poor on Saturday, and a couple of changes were needed. How did Guy look?

I thought we were pretty good first half Saturday, bobbins second. TBH I know I wasn't there to witness tonight but it's 3 points, that matters more than anything at the moment.

More roller coaster fickle stupidity I see...

Given there are three other teams within 2 points of us on exactly the same goal difference as we are, it would have been nice to at least try and score again against ten of the worst players in the division.

And anyone who thinks we're safe really needs to take a look at the fixture list in April.

If we go down on goal difference you can look back at tonight to see what sunk us.

Exactly. And in recent weeks the haters have been saying that "we WILL go down" and now Penney has proven we are better than a bottom 4 team (as you stated), thus we'll stay up and Penney has proven the haters wrong.

We weren't better than a different bottom four team on Saturday.

Listened via player. Other than the pen we sounded :censored:e again but on that pitch you can't expect much, we got the win as needed.

Big point - Flahavan shows in the first 5 mins how to be a proper keeper and proved those idiotic pricks who say 'brill is better' as absolute morons - 4 world-class saves (say G & R) shows how shocking Brill is.

Flahavan and Fleming next season please.

Oh and pen aside Guy sounds like i thought, just like parker but a version who tries - get eaves and pav up top, eaves did more on the commentary then guy did bar win the pen.

Deep down dont want DP sacked, i was of that opinion a couple of weeks back, but perhaps the injuries/postponments have masked over his efforts. But he NEEDS to get the attacking and whole team mentality to ATTACK next year to get the fans back.

HOPE he can get it right in the summer re: players in and out

we shall see........

Edited by shefflatic

Wahey! :) I'd temporarily forgotten this match with playing myself tonight!

I read this a dozen times before I got what it meant. The words myself, with and playing were all too close together! :blink:

Good result tonight, don't give a ha'penny jizz for the performance!

More roller coaster fickle stupidity I see...

Given there are three other teams within 2 points of us on exactly the same goal difference as we are, it would have been nice to at least try and score again against ten of the worst players in the division.

And anyone who thinks we're safe really needs to take a look at the fixture list in April.

If we go down on goal difference you can look back at tonight to see what sunk us.

You are correct, we are not safe until mathematical certainty says we are.

I thought we would lose tonight and we may have done with Brill in the nets. Fair play to Penney, he made some changes and while it might not have been pretty, we ground out a much needed three points.

On the flip side of your comment, if we stay up by three points or less, this may have been the result that keeps us in this division.

But we are now. As proven tonight.

You can only go off your last performance. : )

Not true! You can look back as far as you want too, personally i look back at the last 35 games and its been dire. Fair play we won tonight and we look like we should stay up, are we supposed to be happy with that?

Edited by NIKI1234

Like the most fickle of football fans, I’ve changed my mind about getting rid of Dave Penney.

I'm actually starting to see a few positives in Penney's work here. While Latics teams under say Sheridan would go and get a result at places like Elland Road, the same side would then more than likely go and lose a game like tonight’s. We seem to be picking up points in games where we "should" be doing so under Penney. If we go on a bit of a run now and get a few wins from the remaining games, I'd go as far as saying Penney might have cracked the "all we need to do is turn up" attitude that have spoiled past seasons.

If Penney can build a decent squad over the summer and believe his teams can go and have a go at the likes of Leeds and Norwich , who knows? Maybe we've made the right appointment!

Yeah, screw winning at Elland Road and Goodison. Let's win at Stockport, in a match I (and many, many others) didn't go to because this season's 'new attitude' has given us negative, uninspring, will-to-live sapping, absolute dross week after week.

I hope I am wrong, but in the long term this could be a disastrous result for Oldham Athletic.

Edited by OAFCMIKE