Brighton Post Game Thread

just phoned 1 my :sauce: he said the tta are not happy about the results and that the fans want penney head ,but are worried about how many season tickets will be sold for next season

not happy as in going to sack him or jsut not happy like a bad pie

• Replies 210
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

just phoned 1 my :sauce: he said the tta are not happy about the results and that the fans want penney head ,but are worried about how many season tickets will be sold for next season

You needed a source to tell you that? Gordon chuffing Bennett!

Edited by Gentleman

Not having a go at you Bob, but none of that is new.

And I would expect the TTA to say all that.

i heard that a few left the game at half time too

then you heard wrong.. 1st half we played ok one down to a quality goal, 2nd half (was it another dave penney teamtalk?) they looked like 11 pissed up strangers who had met up for a pub team

Not having a go at you Bob, but none of that is new.

And I would expect the TTA to say all that.

the owners silence is deafening

they should either back him or sack him....but staying silent and pleading ignorance isnt going to help....

they admit they got it wrong over moore...so maybe that is clouding there judgement....but they have to come out and say something one way or another

If it wasn't for Gregan, I firmly believe we would be alongside Stockport at the present time.

if it wasn't for Gregan, we'd be below stockport....

Thats the worst performance i've ever seen from an Oldham team. Unfortunatly, it's time for Penney to go. He's been badly let down by some players distinct lack of interest but it's his head which has to roll now.

Played well first 15.

No keeper would of saved that strike for Brighton's first. After that we had one good chance then proceeded to look utterly clueless.

So glad I left at half 4 without looking back. Awful. But what else do you expect from Dave Penney's Oldham team?

Edited by Rocky_Latic

the owners silence is deafening

they should either back him or sack him....but staying silent and pleading ignorance isnt going to help....

they admit they got it wrong over moore...so maybe that is clouding there judgement....but they have to come out and say something one way or another

I believe Corney said on Radio Manchester that Penney will be manager next season ... two year plan etc.

I suspect he was sounding us out for a reaction though.

That was very poor. I'd warmed to the idea of sticking by Penney until at least the end of the season, indeed I missed the first 5 minutes due to messing about backing Latics and laying Brighton :blush:, but Penney's job has to hanging by a thread now. At least of half the (remaining) crowd openly want him out.

Nobody played well today, bar maybe Flahaven and Guy who looks a Paul Warne type but with a bit more class. Even Greegs wasn't great (though still of course more than adequate) while Abbott was average at best.

Black has rightly come in for Jacobson but is even worse. Lee was garbage today after some promising displays. Worthington was abysml, Furman barely any better (anybody else starting to find him annoyingly over-enthusiastic?). Whittaker hardly got a kick and when Smalley replaced him he managed to bugger it up every single time he got it into his feet. Taylor is not the player some have kidded ourselves he is - if he is then he's well out of sorts. That would leave Hazell who was ok bar a few bizarre hoofs, and Eaves who looked promising once again.

When is Dale Stephens back? We need him in the midfield alongside :censored: - that will keep us up. Has Penney even played them together yet?!?

Was Lee really garbage? A few poor crosses near the end, but generally he was fine and also put ina great ball that Abbott nearly scored from just before half time. We were also infinitely better when he was moved into centre midfield (where he should be playing every week).

The most embarrassing thing today was listening to our 'fans'. The first half performance was ok and in reality we should ahve been ahead, but that's how thing s have gone this season. Second half we were poor, but it amazes me how fast people will turn on the players. How about if we've played half decent in the 1st ahlf and then come out slow in the second, why don't we get behind them and try and get them going again?

I had two morons behind me who for the entire first half wouldn't stop making ridiculous quips about how if Brillhad been in nets we'd have been 3 down and Flav was a big improvement, then after the second goal suddenly i'm hearing things like 'send him back to Palace' and 'Brill might mistakes but at least he pulls of some decent saves', from teh same people. I wish this sort of thing was just from a minority of our fans as well, but it isn't. Abbott played poorly today but has generally been fairly consistent as one of our better players all season long and yet he was booed repeatedly in the second half by the vast majority of the 'I' block. Then we get a penalty, 'nana nana nana nana na na na na etc' from the same :censored:ing people who have been booing him all game. Then he misses the penalty, hit at a decent height for the keeper but in a corner and well struck and suddenly he's a useless c*** who should f*** off back to wherever again. Make up your minds you absolute retards, it shocks and appalls me that so many of our fans seem unable to actually have their own opinions and just blindly follow the chav brigade we seem to have acquired.

Anyway, back to the game, Gregan was yet again rock solid and provided probably the most entertaining part of the game by knocking their soft arse striker head first into the net. The man is a genius. Ruben, decent enough, but I find all our problems come from our midfield. We don't have enough width and we don't look to make runs through the centre to overload the defence. That's been a problem all season, something that :censored: had to some extent helped to solve earlier in the season until he slept with DP's wife or something (there must be some half decent reason he's dropped at every oppotunity). Taylor isn't looking to get behind the defence on the left in the slightest, meaning when we attack we look slow and have few options if any. He asks for it to feet over and over again with his back to goal and then turns inside running into the crowded centre of the field. There was one particularly shocking instance in the second half when the ball broke in the centre for Guy by him closing down the defence. At this point Taylor should have spun and got himself down the wing and given Guy an attacking option, instead he moved inside towards him and asked for a 5 yard pass to feet once again slowing everything down. Now, i'm all for short passing to feet, but there has to be some purpose, someone forcing the issue but it just isn't happening at all and that's why we look so flat. There's no point in playing Furman and Worthington in midfield together (at leats at home anyway). Furman, although more adventurous than Worthy is not the player we thought he was going to be, he tackles well he passes ok, but most of the time it's purely ball retention rather than anything that will hurt the opposition. Worthy is a good battler nothing more, like Allott but less talented on the ball in my opinion. Get Lee in there and see what happens, we don't need 2 players battling in there and it isn't like KL is scared of tackling either. He's not particularly strong but he isn't scared of putting a foot on and he will most certainly offer us something different. He's wasted at full back.

Final positive from today, Tom Eaves, looks like he could turn out to be a class act and unlucky not to score.

You lot can't depress me tonight, I'm off to see the Stranglers. Dave Penney out of my head for a night, and with any luck, I will wake up from my drunken stupor sometime tomorrow we'll be rid. ByeBye Dave.

Nor me pal. Off to see Mr Loveboat at the Grey Mare.

Underpants at the ready..........

A few things summed today up for me, at 2-0 up and very much in charge Poyet was still ripping into their players while our manager stands with his hands in his pockets looking clueless, he took so long making the substitutions he can't honestly be watching that game and think we don't need to make changes.

Also when their player emptied Furman how many latics players ran over to back him up, just seems no team spirit.

I am a big Pav fan but please stop moaning all the time.

Stone me.

Yeah, let's fire a manager who actually has a managerial C.V with two promotions and two big cup wins over Premiership teams for two blokes who have no first team managerial experience, one our on field captain and the other a reserve coach. Duxbury might have been a good player, he might be a good coach and he could be a brilliant manager, but a relegation scrap is not a time to test that. Likewise, imagine making Gregan assistant manager, do you not consider the implications that could have on his on field performance and if his performance drops due to off field distractions then that puts us in a very precarious position.

Simply put, the best person within Oldham Athletic to manage Oldham Athletic is Dave Penney.

It was a prediction by the way, not a personal preference