The Ash Cloud

Ackey

• Replies 104
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

After 9/11 some flights still took place... I actually managed to answer my own question in the end... "The agency said Britain had not halted all flights in its space in living memory, although many were grounded after the Sept. 11, 2001, terrorist attacks in the United States."

Given that large scale commercial flight has only ever been within 'living memory' then I guess it's never happened before then it's unprecedented.

After 9/11 some flights still took place... I actually managed to answer my own question in the end... "The agency said Britain had not halted all flights in its space in living memory, although many were grounded after the Sept. 11, 2001, terrorist attacks in the United States."

Given that large scale commercial flight has only ever been within 'living memory' then I guess it's never happened before then it's unprecedented.

...but they're only grounded in a small area in comparison.

I guess at the time it went unnoticed in 2001 due to the other things going on.

:disappointed::disappointed::disappointed:

Im praying for a miracle,

come on god fart or something

Dude. You're stuck in a different country on the works bill... get your arse out sight seeing! SA's got a crap-load of things to do!

Get a flight to Madagascar or something? See the world!

Dude. You're stuck in a different country on the works bill... get your arse out sight seeing! SA's got a crap-load of things to do!

Get a flight to Madagascar or something? See the world!

am out here for 6 weeks at the end of May for the World cup, I wanna spend some time at home first! see the family and missus etc!

Looks ominous for me :(

from Air France website

"Flights departing from and arriving to Paris-Charles de Gaulle and Paris-Orly airports are cancelled at least until Monday April 19th at 6:00 AM UTC (08:00 AM Paris local time)."

:ranting::disappointed:

i loved how Saints announced that their kick off time v Toulouse had been put back on their OS:

The game has been moved from 6pm as the unexpected Volcano eruption in Iceland has delayed the French side’s travel to the UK.

'unexpected' Volcano eruption? As opposed to all those routine ones that they'd planned ahead for?

Razza... I'll accept no excuse man. Get out and see the world! I'd love to tour Africa and with at least another 2 days out there you might as well make the most of it!!

lol

will be doing some of tha the week after the world cup if ive not died of alcohol posioning from the England winning party...........

Looks abit more promising today

General Information

Due to the cloud of volcanic ash from Mount Eyjafjallajokull (Iceland), the French Civil Aviation Authorities (DGAC) has ordered the closure of Paris-Charles de Gaulle and Paris-Orly airports until Monday April 19th at 6:00 AM UTC (08:00 AM Paris local time).

Air France requests its passengers not to go to the airports.

For updated information on each Air France flight, please refer to Flight & destination information.

Exceptional flights

Weather conditions permitting, Air France will operate 3 long-haul flights from Toulouse to:

- Fort-de-France, Flight AF4164, departing from Toulouse at 1:30 p.m, arrival at 3:55 p.m

- Pointe-à-Pitre, Flight AF4160, departing from Toulouse at 3:10, p.m arrival at 5:30 p.m

- Montréal, Flight AF4166, departing from Toulouse at 4:30 p.m, arrival at 5:50 p.m

Passengers on the cancelled flights departing from Paris may change their reservations or travel dates to take these flights.

For customers who are interested, vans will leave Roissy (Terminal 2E, Registration Zone 7) to take them to Toulouse on April 17 at the following times:

- 10:00 p.m. for the flight to Fort de France,

- 11:00 p.m. for the flight to Pointe-à-Pitre,

- 12:00 midnight, April 18 for the flight to Montréal.

Changes in reservations may be made when the vans leave.

I'm on an enforced holiday from work at the moment because there are no flights at all. Won't be back in until the airport opens again. Still getting paid like but if it carries on like this it can't be great for business!

When the Icelandic island of Surtsey appeared out of nowhere following a 4 year eruption between 1963 and 1967, how many planes fell out of the sky?

Who knows how long the current situation will go on for? It could be years.

Sooner or later somebody needs to balance out the risk of incident v the impact on the wider world.

This would be best done by allowing all German flights to resume with immediate effect. If there's no problems, then the rest of Europe can start flying again.

This would be best done by allowing all German flights to resume with immediate effect. If there's no problems, then the rest of Europe can start flying again.

In the same way, the tossers that take children too young to fly on planes* should be given first go, as their need is more urgent.

*I'd generally disagree with the children first on planes policy, but it allows me to negotiate a seat as far away as possible so I'll agree with it for now.

Razza... I'll accept no excuse man. Get out and see the world! I'd love to tour Africa and with at least another 2 days out there you might as well make the most of it!!

Some people just aren't that interested. Leave him be.