Happy St. George's Day

Ok, Monday nearest 23rd April fits.

Just because other countries do it doesn't mean we have to. Loads of other countries don't do a May Day bank holiday.

Oh, I'd let the workers have 23rd April off too.

Does it being the Monday nearest April 23rd mean that it could clash with Easter so we might get 1 holiday instead of 2. The reason for keeping the early May Bank holiday is if other countries have it off not a lot of trade gets done on that day (especially in the banking sector which is SO vital for our economy). I think the likes of the French and the Yanks are grateful for the extra income they get domestically for their national days due to them not trading internationally on that day and I can't see us getting that much more from a domestic front due to it being St. George's day. Yeah OK swapping the holidays gives everyone the same amount of time off but considering English workers get less public holidays than almost everywhere else in Europe I'd be much more in favour of having the May Bank holiday and making St. George's day much more of an offical leave early day (like how St David's day is in Wales).

In the words of William Shakespeare, who was born on St. George's Day:

And you, good yeoman,

Whose limbs were made in England, show us here

The mettle of your pasture; let us swear

That you are worth your breeding; which I doubt not;

For there is none of you so mean and base,

That hath not noble lustre in your eyes.

I see you stand like greyhounds in the slips,

Straining upon the start. The game's afoot:

Follow your spirit, and upon this charge

Cry 'God for Harry Dowd, England, and Saint George!' :England:

So us English should go out and celebrate St Georges day...

Should also be noted all of the following countries will also be celebrating with us :)

• Hungary (24th April)
  • Germany
  • the old kingdoms and counties of the Crown of Aragon in Spain—Aragon
  • Catalonia and Valencia
  • Portugal
  • Cyprus
  • Greece
  • Georgia
  • Serbia
  • Bulgaria
  • Bosnia and Herzegovina
  • the Republic of Macedonia
  • Albania and Kosovo
  • cities of Moscow in Russia, Genova in Italy, Ljubljana in Slovenia, Beirut in Lebanon, Qormi and Victoria in Malta and many others.

True day of multiculturalism :):lol:

He's also the patron saint of Palestine,Boy Scouts,farmworkers and sufferers of syphilis.

Does it being the Monday nearest April 23rd mean that it could clash with Easter so we might get 1 holiday instead of 2.

Nah, you'd just have Tuesday off too!

Ultimately, for me, it's as broad as its long. I'd just prefer the state to grab St George's day back for the people instead of allowing the BNP to take the pi$$ with it.

Nah, you'd just have Tuesday off too!

Ultimately, for me, it's as broad as its long. I'd just prefer the state to grab St George's day back for the people instead of allowing the BNP to take the pi$$ with it.

This I'd definately agree with- but then again I do like the irony of the BNP supporting a bloke who was probably Turkish and is the patron saint of seemingly half the world.

Every year we have to be reminded about how St. George was a Turk and is the patron St. of Palestine, blah blah. Really, who gives a :censored: ? St. Patrick was English, apparently - I don't hear people blabbing on about this on St. Patrick's Day...but again who gives a :censored:.

The way I see it is St. George's Day in England is a day when we English can celebrate all the good things about England and being English - to me and everyone I speak to it has :censored: all to do with some St who probably never existed. I am sure the Irish couldn't give two :censored:s about St. Patrick on Paddy's day and really just want to a raise a glass or few to all things Irish and celebrate their heritage.

I really don't know why but it's like some people are out to prove how anti-BNP, anti-English, anti-racist, anti-facist, anti-St.George they are...wrong thread people. Move on and let us celebrate in peace.

Great to see Rochdale Rd, Royton & Chapel Rd/Manchester Rd, Hollinwood decked out in red and white again, along with the many, many houses, pubs, clubs and shops in the Borough.

:England: :England: :England:

Every year we have to be reminded about how St. George was a Turk and is the patron St. of Palestine, blah blah. Really, who gives a :censored: ? St. Patrick was English, apparently - I don't hear people blabbing on about this on St. Patrick's Day...but again who gives a :censored:.

The way I see it is St. George's Day in England is a day when we English can celebrate all the good things about England and being English - to me and everyone I speak to it has :censored: all to do with some St who probably never existed. I am sure the Irish couldn't give two :censored:s about St. Patrick on Paddy's day and really just want to a raise a glass or few to all things Irish and celebrate their heritage.

I really don't know why but it's like some people are out to prove how anti-BNP, anti-English, anti-racist, anti-facist, anti-St.George they are...wrong thread people. Move on and let us celebrate in peace.

Great to see Rochdale Rd, Royton & Chapel Rd/Manchester Rd, Hollinwood decked out in red and white again, along with the many, many houses, pubs, clubs and shops in the Borough.

I am traveling 6000 miles to support the national team and I love my country.... I can still recgonise that St George day is a crock of :censored: :wink:

Edited by oafc0000

St Patrick was from Lancashire, and believe me i mention it to my half-Irish boss every year when i'm arguing that she should give us the day off work. Don't take it as people taking the piss or saying you shouldn't celebrate St George's day, mate, some of us just like bizarre trivia. And i'm intrigued as to why the church felt it was necessary to appoint a patron saint of Boy Scouts and syphilis.

St Patrick was from Lancashire, and believe me i mention it to my half-Irish boss every year when i'm arguing that she should give us the day off work. Don't take it as people taking the piss or saying you shouldn't celebrate St George's day, mate, some of us just like bizarre trivia. And i'm intrigued as to why the church felt it was necessary to appoint a patron saint of Boy Scouts and syphilis.

I always think of that massive 'thermometer' on the hospital that never changed when I see your username.

Pint of Londons Pride to anyone who can guess why....

And, yeah - patron St. Of syphilis is a weird title to have bestowed upon you. I've got a mate who's never out of the clap clinic - does anyone know is the patronage of Chlamydia (sp) has been taken? I might put his name forward..

Don't forget that the energy used to cook the food will be provided by a french or german owned company.

Would some French polishing assist the celebrations?

Incidentally, the slaying of the dragon is quite likely the mythology around the replacement of a particular strand of Indo-European religion when blokes on horses with sharp metal stabby things took over. The dragon/snake symbolised wisdom at one point but later in the West came to to be seen as the greatest source of evil, contrast snake worship in Hinduism with the naughty one helping Womankind ruin it for men in the Garden of Eden. I guess that's why George is around in so many countries, whoever the bloke was he has just become attached to much older legends that crossed the continent as part of a massive cultural/religious change.

Anyway, I wouldn't mind having it as a holiday. I do wish people would stop crying about people opposing the day, just go on and celebrate it FFS! Nobody is stopping you or calling you a racist, the reason a bigger deal isn't made of it is because most people aren't that arsed.

Edited by leeslover