Post Game Thread Yeovil

Only well earned in that we worked bloody hard at keeping it out of our onion bag, whilst threatening very little at the other end. And how many times have we done that, even when we've taken the lead. He was happy with a point at Exeter - thanks to a crap penalty that Brill could have stopped by chucking his cap on it. We were bloody lucky to beat Bristol Rovers and Gillingham at home, clinging on to a 1 goal lead instead of going for broke. We couldn't beat 9 men and a crock against Sarfend. Flahavan & Greegs saved us from an absolute battering at Sarfampton.

The point I'm making is that DP hasn't got the first idea about attractive, attacking football. And he proved yesterday, big time. I'm bloody sure he thinks tactics are little white mints. I have never been so pissed off with Latics in all my years and it's down to a clown.

He might not have any idea about attacking football, after all it has been grim. But for every lucky point we've dropped unlucky points. immediatley springing to mind is MK away and our two sitters missed by Paw.

NB. Not sure about your Southampton thing either. Being beaten maybe, but a battering? Not what I saw. We could even have won it when they started tossing defenders up front (Eaves' chance?).

Edited by OldhamSheridan

• Replies 118
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Dont care what the Players are doing. You dont make a defensive substitution when you are 1-0 down. That idiot is a danger to our football club.

We could easily have lost at the Saint, We coul have lost to Bristol Rovers, Hell, we could have lost to 9-men of Southend. I know we didnt, so everyone is chuffed. But Penney's tactics in all those games almost lost it for us, and yesterday he was an embarassment.

Get him out. Now.

I was saying this against Leeds in the cup. When we were seemingly happy for a 0-0 draw in a home tie in the first round FA Cup.

It saddens me how many games I've been to this season as it's a pathetic amount but the reasons you've highlighted well in numerous posts is why I havent bothered.

And in response to your other post. No I do not have confidence in Penney being able to improve us in the summer look what :censored:e he's brought in this season.. and next season we will seemingly have a lot less money to play about with. It doesnt bode well for next season especially if we keep Penney.

Edited by Butter

Like others I'm not happy with Penney's consistently poor attacking strategy and I struggle to see him improving upon it next year, but if we do decide to get rid of him in the summer we can't just go looking for a replacement who will provide an attractive attacking style but badly unsettle our defensive unit, it is a risk which if taken could drop us into the bottom 4 next year. Granted we've just shipped 3 at Yeovil and as I wasn't there I can't comment on how bad it was, but on many occasions this season we've been defensively solid. So while I'm unconvinced by Penney so far (I thought he should've been sacked after Brentford) and the odds are that he won't change us into an attacking force next year, I think he should be given the chance to prove himself in the transfer market and build on what we've already got defensively.

Edited by the_mighty_bosh

Like others I'm not happy with Penney's consistenly poor attacking strategy and I struggle to see him improving upon it next year, but if we do decide to get rid of him in the summer we can't just go looking for a replacement who will provide an attractive attacking style but badly unsettle our defensive unit, it is a risk which if taken could drop us into the bottom 4 next year. Granted we've just shipped 3 at Yeovil and as I wasn't there I can't comment on how bad it was, but on many occasions this season we've been defensively solid. So while I'm unconvinced by Penney so far (I thought he should've been sacked after Brentford) and the odds are that he won't change us into an attacking force next year, I think he should be given the chance to prove himself in the transfer market and build on what we've already got defensively.

Eggsackely where I stand. To the decimal point.

the problems lays above the manager. way above.

the club is rotting.

me?

mmmm...well many who know and who don't know me, will know i watch and support another team, barcelona.

i pay €155 a year just to be a member-thats before i even see a game.

sure, it has it's advantages to be a member-but being a card holding member(soci) is about pride. through thick and thin.

been a soci now for 5 years....i've been watching barca(actually going -ask any man utd fan if he actually goes!) for 14 years.

seen crap..utter crap...seen utter magical football beyond all expectations.

then latics..

been going since i was 6 years old-that is 38 years ago ,the early years i really cannot say i remember...course not!

i do remember season 1973/74, winning at home v hudds to secure promotion to second division(correct me if wrong)

i do remember my first away game at oxford utd 1974 , losing 1-0.

i do remember the anglo scottish cup final, losing (getting stuffed) to burnley.

and i could waffle on about big joe, wembley etc, but i'm sure older viewers are getting my point.

my old job involved me working away...RAF, scotland, channel islands, but i WANTED to be there when i could be able to.

thick and thin...and i was.

then when my "living out of a bag" days where over, me and the missus came back home to within 10 mins walk of my holy land.

had a season ticket since then..till last season.

why?

the crap i was being asked to pay for and watch was not acceptable. simple

so.i decided not to bother with a season ticket last season..(my decision.in fact,it was very easily, help with the fact the lass had to change her shift patten at work..i could, and in recent times had, argued, but to be honest, i really wasn't bothered.)

ok...new manager..great!

new manager, new ideas, new players he knows, new approach..new era.

mmmm.

i saw as much as i could up to norwich away last november. guess what... i made my mind up.

this club isn't going anywhere under the present ownership, the present manager and the present squad of players.

thats my opinion. my opinion since november 2009.

of what i have seen since then(exeter away...ouch!) has done nothing to change my opinion one single bit.

oh feckin no.

i look back at some of those dark days during joe's early years and i think,"it was never this bad".

we might have been crap then, but we never..EVER!..give up till the 90 min.

and maybe thats my problem.

i see a team now that is not only crap, but gives up too easily.

throw in crap managerial and ownership decisions and is it any wonder folk have had enough?

back to barca and me (sorry!)...for the first time ever, i will have spent more going to watch barca in a season then watching latics...this week i'm going to 2 games in 6 days.

which has brought it home to me.

latics isn't the real thing anymore..its become a feckin mess of an excuse to be involved in.

i used to laugh at plastic man u fans at the pub, watching their team endlessly on the pub, refusing to answer why they never go...or what bus they actually get from manchester to bore trafford.

barca was always second..but now-its on a level par.

latics..mmm it's become a useless mess i'd rather not get stressed about anymore.

yep. a duty to turn out for. an hindrance nearly.

reading today the comments here about the attitude, performance and tactics at yeovil does not surprise me one bit- seen the same all season.

and it will continue..

the club is rotting-from top to bottom.. we are the idiots who have to put up with it.

i've made my choice...its up to you what you think.

Edited by johnny punkster

the problems lay above the manager. way above.

the club is rotting.

me?

mmmm...well many who know and who don't know me, will know i watch and support another team,barcelona.

sure,it has it advantages to be a member-but being a card holding member(soci) is about pride.through thick and thin.

been a soci now for 5 years....been watch barca(actually going -ask any man utd fan if he actually goes!) for 14 years.

then latics..

been going since i was 6 years old-that is 38 years ago ,the early years i really cannot say i remember...course not!

i do remember season 1973/74, winning at home v huuds to secure promotion to second division(correct me if wrong)

i do remember my first away game at oxford utd 1974 ,losing 1-0.

i do remember the anglo scottish cup final ,losing (getting stuffed) to burnley.

and waffle on about big joe, wembley etc,but i'm sure older viewers are getting my point.

my old job involved me working away...RAF,scotland,channel islands, but i WANTED to be there when i could be able to.

thick and thin.

then when my "living out of a bag" days where over,me and the missus came back home to within 10 mins walk of my holy land.

season ticket since then..till last season.

why?

the crap i was being asked to watch was not acceptable. simple

so.i decided not to bother with a season ticket.(my decision was very easily help with the fact the lass had to change her shift patten at work..i could -and i recent times had- argued,but to be honest,i really wasn't bothered.)

ok...new manager..great!

new manager,new ideas, new players he knows, new approach.new era.

mmmm.

i saw as much as i could up to norwich away last november. guess what. i made my mind up.

this club isn't going anywhere under the present ownership, the present manager and the present squad of players.

of what i have since since then(exeter away...ouch!) has done nothing to change my opinion one single bit.

oh feckin no.

i look back at some of those dark days during joes early years and i think-"it was never this bad".

we might have been crap then,but we never..EVER!..give up till the 90 min.

i see a team now that not only is crap, but gives up too easily.

throw in crap managerial and ownership decisions and is it any wonder folk have had enough?

back to barca and me(sorry!)...for the first time ever, i will have spent more going to watch barca in a season then watching latics...this week i'm going to 2 games in 6 days.

latics isn't the real thing anymore-its become a feckin mess of an excuse to be involved in.

.i used to laugh a plastic man u fans at the pub, watching their team endlessly on the pub, refusing to answer why they never go...or what bus they actually get from manchester to bore trafford.

latics..mmm it's become a useless mess i'd rather not get stressed about anymore.

reading today the comments here about the attitude, performance and tactics at yeovil does not surprise me one bit- seen the same all season.

and it will continue..

the club is rotting-from top to bottom.. we are th idiots who have to put up with it.

So much sense....

the club is rotting.

and it will continue..

the club is rotting-from top to bottom.. we are the idiots who have to put up with it.

Totally agree Johnny. And all your points make sense. I'll hawever come back tot he simple point which has made me become so vocal about Penney.

- How manay managers would make defensive substitutions when losing a game 1-0?

Everything you say is destroying our club - but IMO that idiot is the biggest danger to our future. If he is allowed to have a close season and another year in charge we will have no suporters left. There is not a single other person in Professional football that would make the decisions he does (as I say, except Rafa)- hence why he must be replaced, with pretty much anyone....

Totally agree Johnny. And all your points make sense. I'll however come back to the simple point which has made me become so vocal about Penney.

- How many managers would make defensive substitutions when losing a game 1-0?

Everything you say is destroying our club - but IMO that idiot is the biggest danger to our future. If he is allowed to have a close season and another year in charge we will have no supporters left. There is not a single other person in professional football that would make the decisions he does (as I say, except Rafa)- hence why he must be replaced, with pretty much anyone....

It's not that daft a substitution. If he wanted us to get hold of the ball and the current crop wasn't doing that...

My problem is he is far too negative, but that is with alot of players out. As players have come back he has got better.

I think (and it may be against the grain here) it would be a bad decision to get rid of Penney.

It's not that daft a substitution. If he wanted us to get hold of the ball and the current crop wasn't doing that...

My problem is he is far too negative, but that is with alot of players out. As players have come back he has got better.

I think (and it may be against the grain here) it would be a bad decision to get rid of Penney.

I assume the defensive substitution we're on about os Worthy on for Goodwin? Well in that case I would say Ball retention would of been the last thing on Penney's mind as Worthingtons passing and football abillity is amongst the poorest level in our division. He is the sort of player you bring on if the opposition are getting too much time on the ball and you want someone to go in and ruffle a few feathers or if your winning and want to add a bit more steel into the midfield.

Penney has constanly proved that he prefers to keep things tight, even when were getting beat and only on a few occasions have we ever really gone for a goal. If you look at his tactics in many home games subs have mainly been like for like or defensive minded. His negative nature has cost us a fair few points aswell (Wycombe against 10 men and Southend against 10 men and 2 who could barely stand instantly spring to mind) Add that to some strange subs such as Hartlepool away by confusing every member of midfield and attack at where they were all suppose to be playing and Saturday by playing Whitts at right back (probably the weakest player in proffesional football never mind his lack of defensive awereness) makes you wonder if he really knows what he wants from his own team at times.

I'm not one for sacking managers as you then have to rebuild but this has been a wasted season and we will have to rebuild whether Penney is here are not as many of his signings have failed with great conviction.

Anyway its an important decision the TTA have to make in the summer they either stick by their man and drive away a few more fans and suffer yet more losses or they admit they got it wrong and sack him resulting in a payoff but instantly start getting the fans back (that alone won't be enough to bring all of them back on board but it will go a long way in my opinion)

the club is rotting.

me?

mmmm...well many who know and who don't know me, will know i watch and support another team, barcelona.

sure, it has it's advantages to be a member-but being a card holding member(soci) is about pride. through thick and thin.

been a soci now for 5 years....i've been watching barca(actually going -ask any man utd fan if he actually goes!) for 14 years.

then latics..

i do remember season 1973/74, winning at home v hudds to secure promotion to second division(correct me if wrong)

i do remember my first away game at oxford utd 1974 , losing 1-0.

i do remember the anglo scottish cup final, losing (getting stuffed) to burnley.

and i could waffle on about big joe, wembley etc, but i'm sure older viewers are getting my point.

my old job involved me working away...RAF, scotland, channel islands, but i WANTED to be there when i could be able to.

thick and thin...and i was.

then when my "living out of a bag" days where over, me and the missus came back home to within 10 mins walk of my holy land.

had a season ticket since then..till last season.

why?

the crap i was being asked to pay for and watch was not acceptable. simple

so.i decided not to bother with a season ticket last season..(my decision.in fact,it was very easily, help with the fact the lass had to change her shift patten at work..i could, and in recent times had, argued, but to be honest, i really wasn't bothered.)

ok...new manager..great!

new manager, new ideas, new players he knows, new approach..new era.

mmmm.

i saw as much as i could up to norwich away last november. guess what... i made my mind up.

of what i have seen since then(exeter away...ouch!) has done nothing to change my opinion one single bit.

oh feckin no.

i look back at some of those dark days during joe's early years and i think,"it was never this bad".

we might have been crap then, but we never..EVER!..give up till the 90 min.

i see a team now that is not only crap, but gives up too easily.

back to barca and me (sorry!)...for the first time ever, i will have spent more going to watch barca in a season then watching latics...this week i'm going to 2 games in 6 days.

latics isn't the real thing anymore..its become a feckin mess of an excuse to be involved in.

i used to laugh at plastic man u fans at the pub, watching their team endlessly on the pub, refusing to answer why they never go...or what bus they actually get from manchester to bore trafford.

and it will continue..

I've just waded through you're mammoth post, and I've got to say I agree.

Barcalona are definately better than Latics.

Although there must have been some really thin times at Barca over the years. :lol:

I assume the defensive substitution we're on about os Worthy on for Goodwin? Well in that case I would say Ball retention would of been the last thing on Penney's mind as Worthingtons passing and football abillity is amongst the poorest level in our division. He is the sort of player you bring on if the opposition are getting too much time on the ball and you want someone to go in and ruffle a few feathers or if your winning and want to add a bit more steel into the midfield.

Penney has constanly proved that he prefers to keep things tight, even when were getting beat and only on a few occasions have we ever really gone for a goal. If you look at his tactics in many home games subs have mainly been like for like or defensive minded. His negative nature has cost us a fair few points aswell (Wycombe against 10 men and Southend against 10 men and 2 who could barely stand instantly spring to mind) Add that to some strange subs such as Hartlepool away by confusing every member of midfield and attack at where they were all suppose to be playing and Saturday by playing Whitts at right back (probably the weakest player in proffesional football never mind his lack of defensive awereness) makes you wonder if he really knows what he wants from his own team at times.

I'm not one for sacking managers as you then have to rebuild but this has been a wasted season and we will have to rebuild whether Penney is here are not as many of his signings have failed with great conviction.

Anyway its an important decision the TTA have to make in the summer they either stick by their man and drive away a few more fans and suffer yet more losses or they admit they got it wrong and sack him resulting in a payoff but instantly start getting the fans back (that alone won't be enough to bring all of them back on board but it will go a long way in my opinion)

By getting hold of the ball, that is done by tackling and offloading.

The Whittaker at right back sounds dreadful. Him being on the pitch is bad, but it sounds really awful.

The decision to make by TTA is not quite as you put it. It's do they sack another manager, this one after a horrible run of injuries who has kept us up despite having no money or sack the dullest manager in my time. It is a tough decision to make and the year/money on his contract says to me it shouldn't be done.

I've just waded through you're mammoth post, and I've got to say I agree.

Barcalona are definately better than Latics.

Although there must have been some really thin times at Barca over the years. :lol:

actually i've been going nearly 16 years now..and believe me, the louis van gaal years where shocking! :o oh my....bad times.

i must say though,i have always been able to separate the clubs in terms of my expectations of how the club is run, how to play football,what to expect and so on.

but one thing in common is that fans from every club in the world DEMAND full effort and desire when playing for their club.

it is absolutely expected.100% all the time.

its ok if you give it your all and failed-i always appreciate that.

what i do not accept is the ones who will not give it their all,because "fail is happening anyway".

too many times this season, ive seen gregan sweat, shout and bully his way to become a cult figure at the club he fully deserves.

and too many times i've seen other players just not want it.

that what i won't accept.

actually i've been going nearly 16 years now..and believe me, the louis van gaal years where shocking! :o oh my....bad times.

i must say though,i have always been able to separate the clubs in terms of my expectations of how the club is run, how to play football,what to expect and so on.

but one thing in common is that fans from every club in the world DEMAND full effort and desire when playing for their club.

it is absolutely expected.100% all the time.

its ok if you give it your all and failed-i always appreciate that.

what i do not accept is the ones who will not give it their all,because "fail is happening anyway".

too many times this season, ive seen gregan sweat, shout and bully his way to become a cult figure at the club he fully deserves.

and too many times i've seen other players just not want it.

that what i won't accept.

I appreciate it's your decision Johnny, but why do you want to aid others with solidarity from also attending? cos that is what you are doing. Obviously you have mega feelings for the club and this is why your passionate and have come to your decision. However your stand is crippling the club despite what you think of the top of the club.

One last thing I will say, I really cannot see the similarity between Latics and Barca for gods sake. When Barca have a bunch of dross (for their level) they go and spend (x) million on new talent.

Edited by Lags

appreciate it's your decision Johnny, but why do you want to aid others with solidarity from also attending? cos that is what you are doing. Obviously you have mega feelings for the club and this is why your passionate and have come to your decision. However your stand is crippling the club despite what you think of the top of the club.

not sure what you mean by "my decision", but the only decision made for me this season has been the dross i have had to pay for, in the name of entertainment and football.its not what i prefer to spend hard earned cash on anymore...and after 34 of 38 years of plain average or utterly awful,my stomach filled at norwich last november.

if the players aren't showing positivity, desire and effort ,why should i ?

i have still been, but the desire to keep wanting to go has only a bit of fuel left burning...thats why the club is not hitting a very important period in its future,between now and start of next season imo.

as i said in my first post, the club is rotting and its not the fans fault.and one thing i object to is emotional blackmail from the club.i am not a charity

thing I will say, I really cannot see the simularity between Latics and Barca for gods sake. When Barca have a bunch of dross (for their level) they go and spend (x) million on new talent.

latics is a football club.

barca is a football club.

size,money etc etc is obviously a million miles apart, but the basics is completely the same.

11 vs 11.

one ball.

one football pitch.

Edited by johnny punkster

latics is a football club.

barca is a football club.

size,money etc etc is obviously a million miles apart, but the basics is completely the same.

11 vs 11.

one ball.

one football pitch.

Yes that is true statement and cannot be denied. However even I have come across sides that had far more talent then mine had and no amount of effort would have seen us win more than 1 in 10 games against them. Even then it would have been ultra defending and winning it on the break. I believe Latics do this too occasionally.

Johnny what about my main point in giving sucker to those who just wanna give up for the slightest reason?

Yes that is true statement and cannot be denied. However even I have come across sides that had far more talent then mine had and no amount of effort would have seen us win more than 1 in 10 games against them. Even then it would have been ultra defending and winning it on the break. I believe Latics do this too occasionally.

Johnny what about my main point in giving sucker to those who just wanna give up for the slightest reason?

sorry mate, i'm not sure of what your last point is asking?

as to your first one, talent is obviously something players from every club in the world have to train and work for.its not handed on a gold plate.

like being the best chef in the world...it takes years to get that dish to absolute perfection...practice, modifications, experimenting, etc.

i'm not saying for a minute that if the latics squad train their bollocks off for 5 years, we will become champs league winners 2015. what i'm saying, if to improve yourself you have to work.hard.

if the attitude is wrong,then why bother?

as for ultra defending and winning on the break...i call that anti-football...its not my scene.

One question here: If you go to a restaurant and the first few times you go the food is good, the next 3/4 times you go it :censored:e, do you keep going back hoping that it will be like the first few times?

The team set off at the same time we did in a much more luxurious coach I must add, if tiredness was to contribute to the way they played on Saturday why didn't they book a travel lodge out of their own pockets for Friday night? I feel that there is more to it however...contracts & bonuses, that won't be offered until after the Charlton match, I've just had a horrible thought, if this is part of the reason to the way they played on Saturday, God help us next week!

Ultra defending isn't my bag either, the point I was making is that some players/sides have so much talent that dictates you'll be defending no matter how much huff and puff you put into the game. I sometimes wonder when we look at the performances like the one we've just witnessed at Yeovil is it lack of effort or are the players just lacking talent? I think the two go hand in hand, talent and effort. Take Chelsea the other day at Liverpool. Very talented players and their effort rewards their talent.

My main point is this Johnny regarding sucker/solidarity. The more you post why it's now acceptable for you to be disillusioned to the point of not getting a ST, you're actually influencing others to do exactly the same. Yes I hear you your decision was for you alone and If you asked the same fan to jump off a cliff they wouldn't (well most wouldn't!) however you are giving solidarity to the desertion movement. Like a cancer these things grow. So what you're actually doing is making worse what disillussioned you in the first place.

Edited by Lags

Ultra defending isn't my bag either, the point I was making is that some players/sides have so much talent that dictates you'll be defending no matter how much huff and puff you put into the game. I sometimes wonder when we look at the performances like the one we've just witnessed at Yeovil is it lack of effort or are the players just lacking talent? I think the two go hand in hand, talent and effort. Take Chelsea the other day at Liverpool. Very talented players and their effort rewards their talent.

My main point is this Johnny regarding sucker/solidarity. The more you post why it's now acceptable for you to be disillusioned to the point of not getting a ST, you're actually influencing others to do exactly the same. Yes I hear you your decision was for you alone and If you asked the same fan to jump of a cliff they wouldn't (well most wouldn't!) however you are giving solidarity to the desertion movement. Like a cancer these things grow. So what you're actually doing is making worse what disillussioned you in the first place.

On some performances Lags you could question the talent or lack of it in this current squad, however, on other performances their talent can't be questioned, on ratio- good: bad performances....????

I'm not siding with Jonny here but it is his decision and his decision alone not to renew next season, I honestly think that some people's decision not to renew is on the air of cautiousness regarding their employment, only to be made easier by the results/ performances and everything else associated with the match day experience in general, just because Jonny and others won't be renewing wouldn't sway many others not to.

My main point is this Johnny regarding sucker/solidarity. The more you post why it's now acceptable for you to be disillusioned to the point of not getting a ST, you're actually influencing others to do exactly the same. Yes I hear you your decision was for you alone and If you asked the same fan to jump of a cliff they wouldn't (well most wouldn't!) however you are giving solidarity to the desertion movement. Like a cancer these things grow. So what you're actually doing is making worse what disillussioned you in the first place.

On some performances Lags you could question the talent or lack of it in this current squad, however, on other performances their talent can't be questioned, on ratio- good: bad performances....????

I'm not siding with Jonny here but it is his decision and his decision alone not to renew next season, I honestly think that some people's decision not to renew is on the air of cautiousness regarding their employment, only to be made easier by the results/ performances and everything else associated with the match day experience in general, just because Jonny and others won't be renewing wouldn't sway many others not to.

Fair points back brother. Anyway I've said what I believe. Not all people are swayed but it's undeniable some are easilly lead.

EDIT: Hence I was trying to lead them to a ST for £12 a match earlier today on here. Which if enough are lead it will give me a better chance of seeing more money spent on better talented players.

Edited by Lags

can i just repeat, that i was a season ticket holder for 11 years on the bounce, up to this season.

my personal circumstances changed work wise, my lasses work shifts changed and effectively, missing all midweek games and having a season ticket was a non starter...latics playing sweet football or not.

the same applies next season and the foreseeable future.

the point i'm making is that it was such an easy forced decision to accept.

can i just repeat, that i was a season ticket holder for 11 years on the bounce, up to this season.

my personal circumstances changed work wise, my lasses work shifts changed and effectively, missing all midweek games and having a season ticket was a non starter...latics playing sweet football or not.

the same applies next season and the foreseeable future.

the point i'm making is that it was such an easy forced decision to accept.

And that is more than fair enough. So why not just say it's down to work patterns and leave it there rather go on to say how poor the clubs run and it's rotting away etc etc etc.