Bread?

Inspired by HallemBlue's post about Sheffield:

...you ask for a Ham Muffin and they think you mean a cake.....??? lol So be warned if you want a buttie you ask for a Breadcake...

We actually had this conversation in the pub the other day ( can you tell I live a full and exciting life? :wink: ) as I have a collection of friends from all over the UK.

Personally I would call it a muffin if it's about the size of my palm, whilst if it's smaller and 'doughier' I'd call it a cob.

So, what do you call bread?

We actually had this conversation in the pub the other day ( can you tell I live a full and exciting life? :wink: ) as I have a collection of friends from all over the UK.

Personally I would call it a muffin if it's about the size of my palm, whilst if it's smaller and 'doughier' I'd call it a cob.

I dont like the word Barmcake. :ranting::ranting::ranting::ranting:

I however call it a muffin,

It gets worse, I have the displeasure of working in Yarkshire everyday, chip muffin to the canteen lady is unheard of !! Even a chip barm cake gets funny looks

The do a Sop dinner once a month.... beef, yorkshire pudding all on a muffin with gravy..... but they call it a teacake not a muffin :unsure:

It gets worse, I have the displeasure of working in Yarkshire everyday, chip muffin to the canteen lady is unheard of !! Even a chip barn cakes gets funny looks

The do a Sop dinner once a month.... beef, yorkshire pudding all on a muffin with gravy..... but they call it a teacake not a muffin :unsure:

To me, rightly or wrongly, a teacake should have raisins or something similar in it..?

Yep, me also.... A toasted teacake, with raisins or currants ??

Exactly! But then most people I know wouldn't use the word Cob... that seems to be a Midlands thing, that for whatever reason my family use as I've picked that up as kid.

Its the same thing just different shaped !! :lol: Both Crusty on the outside... Perfect for Soup :wink:

Shape's vital!

But, no, a cob should be soft like a muffin, just smaller and doughier. Whilst, like you say, a roll is crusty on the outside but soft in the middle and indeed ideal for soup!

Funny that outside of Oldham, muffins mean something else entirely.

They call them muffins in Middleton and Rochdale, to an extent. Manchester it's barmcakes, but if you ask for muffin they know what you mean.

Can't beat a chip muffin. Hunt Lane Chippy and Chaddy Fish Bar were my favourite school dinnertime chippys.

Just out of interest... was this conversation with me? Most my conversations with you are drunken, and I cannot remember.

They call them muffins in Middleton and Rochdale, to an extent. Manchester it's barmcakes, but if you ask for muffin they know what you mean.

Can't beat a chip muffin. Hunt Lane Chippy and Chaddy Fish Bar were my favourite school dinnertime chippys.

Muffin as in oven bottom muffin is very much an East Lancashire delicacy....took 2 dozen black oven bottom muffins home with me after my last trip north...oh and some tripe, 8 meat n tater pies and a couple of black puddings B)

I thought muffin was the proper term, but according to Wikipedia its mainly used only by those from Oldham, Rochdale and Ashton Under Line.

As for those yarkshar lot eating teacakes/breadcakes - cake is sweet and bread you put savoury fillings in are not. Therefore they are wrong. Teacakes have currants in which is why they become a cake.

I thought muffin was the proper term, but according to Wikipedia its mainly used only by those from Oldham, Rochdale and Ashton Under Line.

As for those yarkshar lot eating teacakes/breadcakes - cake is sweet and bread you put savoury fillings in are not. Therefore they are wrong. Teacakes have currants in which is why they become a cake.

err Jim....LINE.... :ohno: