Election 2010 - Post Campaign Vote

Election 2010 - Post Campaign Vote  

192 members have voted

1. 1. If the Election took place today who would you vote for ?

• Labour
    • Conservative
    • Liberal Democrats
    • UK Independence Party
    • Green Party
    • British National Party
    • Independent Candidate
    • Other
    • I am not going to vote
    • Spoil Vote

It's like the Ashes. If you don't have them and it's a draw, you've lost.

You're still sticking with this analogy? It's not like the Ashes, because it wasn't a draw. Labour lost, they just didn't lose heavily enough. It's like retaining the Ashes if you only lose by one test.

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think if he does side with Labour at the moment, it will do both parties more harm than good, it will piss the voters off no end, and will virtually ensure that a tory government (maybe not led by Cameron) will walk the next election, which I would bet a large amount of money will come within 18 months

I think if he does side with Labour at the moment, it will do both parties more harm than good, it will piss the voters off no end, and will virtually ensure that a tory government (maybe not led by Cameron) will walk the next election, which I would bet a large amount of money will come within 18 months

I also struggle to see LibLab sticking together. Imagine trying to get a Budget through or scrapping/reducing any spending commitments, they would have to stick a load of sweeteners into the Welsh and Jocks, as if they don't get enough already, and every MP would potentially have them over a barrel for their pet hobby horse/constituency issue. They would lurch from crisis to crisis and might even make Brown's government look prudent.

My head says Tory minority government...

My fear is a Tory / Lib agreement and the destruction of the Libs... I firmly think the core vote hates the Torys...

My heart says a Lib / Lab dream partnership... But I fear this might turn out like Lees says...

You're still sticking with this analogy? It's not like the Ashes, because it wasn't a draw. Labour lost, they just didn't lose heavily enough. It's like retaining the Ashes if you only lose by one test.

The analogy might work it The Ashes were contested between Australia, England and let's say South Africa (seeing as tulsehill thinks we're racist... <_< ).

Let's call it a 7 match series. The Aussis win four tests, England win three and South Africa win two. Now call me churlish, but I somehow doubt the Aussies would accept any claim by England that the series was drawn...

Shame the elections were for the UK Parliament then.

It's like the Ashes. If you don't have them and it's a draw, you've lost.

Surveillance: a new Tory MP (for an ultra-posh constituency) on the Terrace smoking a roll-up. Times is 'ard.

That would be Zac Goldsmith I am sure.

I agree it was for the UK Parliament. However rose tinted you want to be, you surely cannot believe that a Government all of whoms decisions relate to England and a majority for Wales will be propped up by Scotland and a bunch of Nationalists. That is not Democracy and gives no accountability whatsoever.

I've never been called a puppet for the right wing press before. Can we make that nick name stick? I quite like it.

What does amuse me is that apart from the Daily Mirror there is no Labour press anymore. They lost the argument. They cannot form a majority without the support of so many other parties it is unmanageable. Labour and its supporters should do the right thing and accept they are now in opposition.

Come on Cameron, get a decision and put the Great back into Britain *lives up to his new nickname*

The analogy might work it The Ashes were contested between Australia, England and let's say South Africa (seeing as tulsehill thinks we're racist... <_< ).

Let's call it a 7 match series. The Aussis win four tests, England win three and South Africa win two. Now call me churlish, but I somehow doubt the Aussies would accept any claim by England that the series was drawn...

9 match series....

I also struggle to see LibLab sticking together. Imagine trying to get a Budget through or scrapping/reducing any spending commitments, they would have to stick a load of sweeteners into the Welsh and Jocks, as if they don't get enough already, and every MP would potentially have them over a barrel for their pet hobby horse/constituency issue. They would lurch from crisis to crisis and might even make Brown's government look prudent.

There's that and I truly think that as soon as it does collapse and we do have another election, both labour and lib dems will be heavily punished. I know prime minsters are not elected, and we have had prime minsters in the past ewho have come in mid term, such as Major, but the fact that we may have to put up with a prime minster, who did not come into power after winning a general election as leader of his party, for more or less a full term.

I did not vote labour at this election, but thats not to say I will never vote for them again. I do not have an allegance to any party. However, I think the best possible thing now for the labour party is to regroup in opposition, get a new leader in place, and a new shadow cabinet, and take it from there.

The LibLabs don't have enough wins between them to get a draw.

There's that and I truly think that as soon as it does collapse and we do have another election, both labour and lib dems will be heavily punished. I know prime minsters are not elected, and we have had prime minsters in the past ewho have come in mid term, such as Major, but the fact that we may have to put up with a prime minster, who did not come into power after winning a general election as leader of his party, for more or less a full term.

I did not vote labour at this election, but thats not to say I will never vote for them again. I do not have an allegance to any party. However, I think the best possible thing now for the labour party is to regroup in opposition, get a new leader in place, and a new shadow cabinet, and take it from there.

It might not be like the Ashes. But ask yourself this: who's the Prime Minister? *notes exact time of post*

Garcon - there's a difference between the South Africans and the Liberals. The South Africans got rid of apartheid.

Libs and Torys talking now...

Get the feeling Clegg used Labour to get some leverage... Not that I blame him...

But who knows... This is nuts :)

Labour are probably better off out of it at this point in time. Go away, have a leadership contest, beat the Liberals up for sticking with the Tories (expect mass defection any time soon), have a really great chance in a couple of years when the whole thing breaks down.

We really need a conclusion to this today. At the very least today we need to know the precise time tomorrow that the outcome will be announced. If we don't get that it could be a difficult day on the markets.

Stuff the markets :) They didn't have a vote :)

Seriously, I would like to see them come to a conclusion now...

Labour are probably better off out of it at this point in time. Go away, have a leadership contest, beat the Liberals up for sticking with the Tories (expect mass defection any time soon), have a really great chance in a couple of years when the whole thing breaks down.

I think the only way the lib dems can come out of this without getting brutally slaughtered, is by stepping back, allowing the tories to form a minority government and supporting them on an issue by issue basis.

The wisest post on a very long thread.

Markets go up... Markets go down... Its not very wise but just rehashed scare story...

The markets will be fine in the end...

Looking like a tory government one way or the other... Markets will love that...

Markets go up... Markets go down... Its not very wise but just rehashed scare story...

The markets will be fine in the end...

Only if they believe we can manage our affairs.

The Greeks thought they were on a free ride and that it would all be alright on the night!

Sky news reporting Labour and Lib Dems talks got nowhere and Labour close to accepting defeat

I wonder who will be the loser in the end and who will be the winner...

This does not play out well in a LOT of Liberal supporters households...