New Stadium Update

All me, me, me.

And why shouldnt I be all me me me, as if I remember rightly Im one of very few already paying fans. Ill certainly be reconsidering not going if we move to Failsworth, and Im very sure there are many others like me.

• Replies 105
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

At what point is this stadium a good idea. It is closer for me to go to the pictures in a different town, than to watch my hometown club play football. It is also maybe an extra couple of minutes closer to go to watch Dogdale. Their is a lot of land in Oldham which would would be easily buildable on. The owners are in it for the sale of the land, moving us and then they will be gone with a nice profit, not giving a stuff about the fact the majority of the fans now have to make a 20 minute journey to watch their team. Why oh why have we not been up in arms trying to block this move?

Ok, go on then, name the "lot of land" sites. 25 - 30 acres are needed.

Let's see how you do.

And why shouldnt I be all me me me, as if I remember rightly Im one of very few already paying fans. Ill certainly be reconsidering not going if we move to Failsworth, and Im very sure there are many others like me.

At what point is this stadium a good idea. It is closer for me to go to the pictures in a different town, than to watch my hometown club play football. It is also maybe an extra couple of minutes closer to go to watch Dogdale. Their is a lot of land in Oldham which would would be easily buildable on. The owners are in it for the sale of the land, moving us and then they will be gone with a nice profit, not giving a stuff about the fact the majority of the fans now have to make a 20 minute journey to watch their team. Why oh why have we not been up in arms trying to block this move?

Sorry, I'm not getting drawn into the location argument, but if you are a fan, then an extra "20 minutes" is hardly a big sacrifice to watch the team you support.

If you would rather use an "extra couple of minutes" to watch Rochdale, as you intimate, then go and watch them instead.

It is closer for me to go to the pictures in a different town, than to watch my hometown club play football.

Go watch a movie then. The popcorn is more of a rip off than the pies though.

It is also maybe an extra couple of minutes closer to go to watch Dogdale.

Okay then, go and watch Danny Whitaker is a Rochdale shirt next season instead then.

Their is a lot of land in Oldham which would would be easily buildable on.

Name your sites. Get Google Earth on to your laptop and find them if needed. I can't see any currently available that don't involve building on green belt or nightmarish access problems. If you're talking about clearing an area, that doubles the cost.

The only two sites I can think of at the moment are Failsworth and Boundary Park. I would love to see the latter redeveloped, but it ain't gonna happen.

The owners are in it for the sale of the land, moving us and then they will be gone with a nice profit,

It was probably the plan all along. Pick up the BP site for £1, maintain the football club and then develop and sell. If they are to be believed, they will lose money whatever the outcome. TTA usually come across as honest people who don't always get things right. So I do believe them.

not giving a stuff about the fact the majority of the fans now have to make a 20 minute journey to watch their team.

Drive faster? Catch the bus earlier?

Why oh why have we not been up in arms trying to block this move?

Because they see a stagnating football club sliding backwards slowly and steadily, and they want something better. This may not be a perfect utopia, but it does seem to be an effort to do something.

Edited by opinions4u

Drive faster? Catch the bus earlier?

Are you encouraging people to speed? Because that's pretty irresponsible... :wink:

Not everyone lives within walking distance of BP, and plenty of us already spend more than 20 minutes travelling to the match. If the prospect of a 20 minute journey is enough to stop you going that's your choice, but i suspect you would have found some other excuse to stop going anyway. Don't expect hordes of us to join you on the barricades to stop the builders moving onto Failsworth.

Im not saying I would go and watch that shower down the road, but young fans from the areas around BP will be just as tempted to go to Rochdale now in the future, and any young fans around our proposed stadium will be brought up City fans. For our future we will lose more fans than we gain. Im not personally bothered about the extra time as Ive travelled much further to watch Latics, but I know plenty of people from the Royton area who will not go, especially the older generation who will struggle to make the journey.

For starters why did we ever bother protesting getting planning permission for BP and then never bother going through with the works. BP is a perfect site, and if it got redeveloped then we would be far better off, and the owners can make a bit of money doing as they are now, building houses around the stadium. If they wanted to make money in property why did they buy this football club, and not just buy other land. The other perfect site would have been the original farm in Chadderton, if we had persisted with the man in charge and offered him a bit more then we would have had another area which is still within the area of OLDHAM. Im sure with the correct research it wouldnt be hard to find a few more eligible sites. Its hardly verging on Wimbledon/MK Dons transformation, but its the same principles, moving the team out of the town.

I obviously wont bother protesting then seen as you all believe in the owners, the same owners who said they were fully behind the last 3 managers and within weeks had chopped their heads, two of which were due to money issues. The same owners who are in the press constantly moaning about dwindling attendances, thinking only of their monetary problems. And if they are going to make a loss then is this not a last ditch attempt to cut their losses in desperation.

Im not saying I would go and watch that shower down the road, but young fans from the areas around BP will be just as tempted to go to Rochdale now in the future, and any young fans around our proposed stadium will be brought up City fans. For our future we will lose more fans than we gain. Im not personally bothered about the extra time as Ive travelled much further to watch Latics, but I know plenty of people from the Royton area who will not go, especially the older generation who will struggle to make the journey.

For starters why did we ever bother protesting getting planning permission for BP and then never bother going through with the works. BP is a perfect site, and if it got redeveloped then we would be far better off, and the owners can make a bit of money doing as they are now, building houses around the stadium. If they wanted to make money in property why did they buy this football club, and not just buy other land. The other perfect site would have been the original farm in Chadderton, if we had persisted with the man in charge and offered him a bit more then we would have had another area which is still within the area of OLDHAM. Im sure with the correct research it wouldnt be hard to find a few more eligible sites. Its hardly verging on Wimbledon/MK Dons transformation, but its the same principles, moving the team out of the town.

I obviously wont bother protesting then seen as you all believe in the owners, the same owners who said they were fully behind the last 3 managers and within weeks had chopped their heads, two of which were due to money issues. The same owners who are in the press constantly moaning about dwindling attendances, thinking only of their monetary problems. And if they are going to make a loss then is this not a last ditch attempt to cut their losses in desperation.

I agree, Boundary Park would be a better site in that sense. But the £££ is not there for the redevelopment. Really is as simple as that. In order to fund the new ground, we need to sell the whole of the current site. Selling the land around the ground will no longer raise the money needed to fund the redevelopment. And in order to survive we need to have 24/7 revenue streams. And there are alot of things we would not get planning permission for here that we would in failsworth.

The only other viable site would be Ferney Fields (which again is right near the Oldham/Rochdale border), which is a nogo.

Thanks for answering.

Im not saying I would go and watch that shower down the road, but young fans from the areas around BP will be just as tempted to go to Rochdale now in the future, and any young fans around our proposed stadium will be brought up City fans.
That's not always a given. Small clubs live in the shadow of bigger clubs up and down the country. Fulham is mighty close to Chelsea but Fulham still had support while they were in the lower leagues.

For our future we will lose more fans than we gain.

Time will tell. I think initially more will be gained than lost. How much of that is down to location, and how much is down to a shiny new stadium that could have been built in the exisitng site will be difficult to quantify.

I know plenty of people from the Royton area who will not go, especially the older generation who will struggle to make the journey.

I would hope that the concept of free/cheap buses for season ticket holders over the age of 65 (and perhaps for others) crosses the minds of those who make the decisions.

For starters why did we ever bother protesting getting planning permission for BP and then never bother going through with the works. BP is a perfect site, and if it got redeveloped then we would be far better off, and the owners can make a bit of money doing as they are now, building houses around the stadium.

I would prefer a BP redevelopment. More can be made out of the Failsworth plan. Unfortunately money talks.

If they wanted to make money in property why did they buy this football club, and not just buy other land.

Because the potential of the two sites together was always likely to be more profitable.

I never said the owners were perfect.

If you feel that you should protest, make your voice heard. Please don't let me stop you. If you achieve a redeveloped BP I'll owe you a few pints!

Im not saying I would go and watch that shower down the road, but young fans from the areas around BP will be just as tempted to go to Rochdale now in the future, and any young fans around our proposed stadium will be brought up City fans.

:blink:

Can you tell me what makes people 4 miles apart live in complete contrast to each other?

Im sure with the correct research it wouldnt be hard to find a few more eligible sites.

Like I said, name them. You said there are a lot of sites. You seem to be backing off?

You need 25-30 acres, decent transport links (dual carriageway/motorway). People have come up with lots of sites and have had the reasons those sites cannot be used given back.

Btw latics cannot simply say "We want that bit of land; clear it and we will build a stadium" - the people who own the land have to want to sell it.

Pity that the old GasWorks site at Hollinwood is/was contaminated... next to Motorway, near to Oldham town centre, next to tram, loads of bus routes, next to 4 lane main road, loads of shops/pubs/food places ... bet the land is cheap as well.

Pity that the old GasWorks site at Hollinwood is/was contaminated... next to Motorway, near to Oldham town centre, next to tram, loads of bus routes, next to 4 lane main road, loads of shops/pubs/food places ... bet the land is cheap as well.

That would have been my favourite location, but the bit I've put in bold is a bit dubious - it's 3 miles from BP, as opposed to the 4 mile to the Lancaster Club; Wouldn't most of the "it's too far"; "too near mancs" ; "full of reds" ; "full of citeh" ; "too near eastlands" etc etc points have applied to this site too?

Or is 1760 yds like the atlantic ocean as far as some people are concerned?

To whom is the one in Dale closer? As for the one in Ashton, quickest way to get to it is to jump on the motorway at BROADWAY and travel a few miles down the M60. Not to mention that Failsworth is in Oldham whereas Ashton and Rochdale are not.

Just spoke to the wife about this, who reminded me that the only way, really, to get to the 'flicks' in Rochdale & Ashton is via car, something that I hadn't taken into consideration seeing as I would normally driven to see a movie, Failsworth is on a bus route......where non of the above two are.....

Just spoke to the wife about this, who reminded me that the only way, really, to get to the 'flicks' in Rochdale & Ashton is via car, something that I hadn't taken into consideration seeing as I would normally driven to see a movie, Failsworth is on a bus route......where non of the above two are.....

Not to forget the trams ... one day!

It is on several bus routes (82, 83, 72, 181, 182, 180, 184) as well as the oldham loop line that will soon be a metrolink

We've got to compete on a different level.

Where City are a big corporate Unitedesque establishment, we will be a small community club. It's the only way to go.

You play in a niche .... "friendly club", "be involved", "real football that's close to the fans".

You absolutely don't compete with Man Utd or Man City and you don't remotely try to ... except when you get drawn against them in a cup competition.

You play in a niche .... "friendly club", "be involved", "real football that's close to the fans".

You absolutely don't compete with Man Utd or Man City and you don't remotely try to ... except when you get drawn against them in a cup competition.

In the case of city I think the word is 'beat'.

Edited by OldhamSheridan