New Stadium Update

So it doesn't make sense to actually plan ahead in case of a positive outcome???? As far as i'm concerned there is nothing strange with that.

No it doesn't. It's a huge waste of money.

• Replies 105
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

No it doesn't. It's a huge waste of money.

Well it depends surely on the level of planning. If it is a big cinema or hotel chain who they're in talks with then it makes perfect business sense to have provisional talks with them beforehand, with some sort of contract tied up specified for if planning permission is accepted.

The club have already said that extra investment is needed in order to fill in the corners, so when they go to submit a planning application, an existing agreement securing funding for it would ensure they'd be able to submit the application with the corners. And even if that money was not used to develop the ground, then if there is to be a cinema on site then that will also have to be in the planning permission application. Long and short of it is that by getting commercial partners onside now, once the Charity Commission stuff is dealt with then they'll be able to get the planning application in much quicker rather than wasting time searching for partners after.

If the club are as confident as they make out that the venture has cross-party support and planning permission will go through, and that the CC stuff can also be dealt with in the near future, then it makes perfect sense to be looking for future partners now.

Exactly. I read that thread. It makes no sense. You don't go ahead with plans on a piece of land unless you own it. It's silly. I work in construction and have never ever ever experienced anything as unprofessional. The worst I've seen is things being on hold for some pesky newts. Even then you can pick them up and move them lovingly :wink:

I just find the whole thing farcical (spelling?!). No one seems to know what they're doing with it. I can't see it ever getting anywhere. I don't believe it will end up happening. But then I am a pessimist :hanged:

JAc, I am sorry but that is just incorrect.

I went to a Town Council meeting were I live a few weeks ago. There is a consultation on 3 seperate plots of land to build 600 houses.

At the meeting were the 3 Developers, 3 sets of consutlants such as transport paid for by the developers. We (the public) spoke to all of them

They had the same style of bnoards that Latics have.

The description fo the land. Maps.

THe planning Inspector had his report that gave the green light.

It has already cost a small fortune.

But the developers only have options on the land at the moment.

We actually own it, having obtained a key piece from the council.

If it does go wrong, theit is highly probable we could, if so inclined, claim off the counil.

Do you know how much money is being "wasted" then?

The balls-up with the land at Failsworth has cost Blitz "thounsands and thousands" of pounds and isn't happy one bit with one particular Director.

Stop whinging. !!!!!!!!!

Now we don't have any results to moan about something has to be found..

My guess is a cinema.

Would that be good for Oldham in general?

Cinema, Ten Pin Bowling, Ice Rink.

A number of other things that other towns have but Oldham doesn't.

No wonder all the kids are on crack.

Spot on it is done all the time and has been done for years. I was at a meeting where the householders objecting to the plans put in to build on their land and access up a shared drive the planning is nothing to do with ownership. Daft as that sounds. It is to allow potential buyers to see if there plans for land are viable.

I have never known any scheme that I have worked on to be progressed up to planning when ownership/status of the land is not 100% known. Yes you can go for planning on land that you don't yet own, but what's the point? However, in moost cases it would then be the simple case of buying the land. This isn't that simple as I understand. The land is in limbo. Nobody knows what can be done with it yet.

The fees paid out to consultants and the design team on this project will run into the tens of thousands. Nice work if you can get it, all that design with no hassle of dealing with a contractor :grin:

I would just like to say well done, and thanks to the club. My take on it is some news, even if it's kinda non-news, is better than silence. So keep the communications up please OAFC.

As a Failsworth resident I would very much welcome a cinema, we lost the Roxy, so I either go to Ashton, Belle Vue or the Print Works. In fact, any facilities would be welcome really!

I have never known any scheme that I have worked on to be progressed up to planning when ownership/status of the land is not 100% known*. Yes you can go for planning on land that you don't yet own, but what's the point? However, in moost cases it would then be the simple case of buying the land. This isn't that simple as I understand. The land is in limbo. Nobody knows what can be done with it yet.

The fees paid out to consultants and the design team on this project will run into the tens of thousands. Nice work if you can get it, all that design with no hassle of dealing with a contractor :grin:

*Not thinking of anyone in particular up here (but they no longer exist due to being taken over by the County Council). But... A City of in Durham built a shed load of houses at c£0.5M sale price a piece. Sold the lot. Brilliant. Around £45M made for the local people. I say local people. I mean person. And by local I mean the woman in Germany that owned the land. Oops.

Onto our project, surely you can't argue with making contingency plans whether you are for or against the project. It is just common sense to look at every eventuality.

*Not thinking of anyone in particular up here (but they no longer exist due to being taken over by the County Council). But... A City of in Durham built a shed load of houses at c£0.5M sale price a piece. Sold the lot. Brilliant. Around £45M made for the local people. I say local people. I mean person. And by local I mean the woman in Germany that owned the land. Oops.

Onto our project, surely you can't argue with making contingency plans whether you are for or against the project. It is just common sense to look at every eventuality.

Where was that as I don't remember any houses being built with that sort of price tag- but it may have been before my time.

It's Highgate. Those lovely big houses beneath the train station. Just for cover, I'll say 'apparently'.

She may have been Austrian.

Yep- if it was there :wink: then it was before my time and I'd be amazed if that isn't the first time something like this has happened nor will it be the last.

I would just like to say well done, and thanks to the club. My take on it is some news, even if it's kinda non-news, is better than silence. So keep the communications up please OAFC.

As a Failsworth resident I would very much welcome a cinema, we lost the Roxy, so I either go to Ashton, Belle Vue or the Print Works. In fact, any facilities would be welcome really!

Communication is key - keep us informed and I'm happy. :wink:

Nice public relations piece in the Chron today Link

TTA doing what I thought they would, selling the Lancaster club area off means they'll gain funds for the stadium or they'll gain the money they invested in buying the land if things don't go our way.

It's important to remember that BAE were going to sell the land to developers before TTA came in.

At what point is this stadium a good idea. It is closer for me to go to the pictures in a different town, than to watch my hometown club play football. It is also maybe an extra couple of minutes closer to go to watch Dogdale. Their is a lot of land in Oldham which would would be easily buildable on. The owners are in it for the sale of the land, moving us and then they will be gone with a nice profit, not giving a stuff about the fact the majority of the fans now have to make a 20 minute journey to watch their team. Why oh why have we not been up in arms trying to block this move?

At what point is this stadium a good idea. It is closer for me to go to the pictures in a different town, than to watch my hometown club play football. It is also maybe an extra couple of minutes closer to go to watch Dogdale. Their is a lot of land in Oldham which would would be easily buildable on. The owners are in it for the sale of the land, moving us and then they will be gone with a nice profit, not giving a stuff about the fact the majority of the fans now have to make a 20 minute journey to watch their team. Why oh why have we not been up in arms trying to block this move?

All me, me, me.

Possibly because there isn't such an "anti" feeling as has been made out? Possibly because people are reserving judgement until there is more detail? possibly because other options are limited?

:petesake: It just gets better and better!