Coverage We Deserve?

Poking around the new MEN website (basically a trimmed version of the Guardian's) and I noticed something: Latics are the 5th highest placed team from 'Greater Manchester' (as the MEN see it).

We follow United, City, Wigan and Bolton. There's no teams the MEN cover in the Championship and Stockport follow us in 6th.

I appreciate that space is precious and that the MEN have covered several key Latics stories this season (the Failsworth move has been covered far more balanced than by the Chronicle), but do you feel we're getting the coverage we should?

Poking around the new MEN website (basically a trimmed version of the Guardian's) and I noticed something: Latics are the 5th highest placed team from 'Greater Manchester' (as the MEN see it).

We follow United, City, Wigan and Bolton. There's no teams the MEN cover in the Championship and Stockport follow us in 6th.

I appreciate that space is precious and that the MEN have covered several key Latics stories this season (the Failsworth move has been covered far more balanced than by the Chronicle), but do you feel we're getting the coverage we should?

Its probably about right...

Sometimes they get it right and sometimes they get it wrong. They've given FC United more column inches than us at times for pre/post match reports- which considering they are nothing but a glorified pub team is a disgrace. When DP was sacked I was expecting the back page- but no that was given over to some rumour about Fergie's latest hunt for some quality (aside from Rooney) or something similar for Mancini. If there's a big legimate news story about Citeh/United (as opposed to rumour) it can be a stretch to find anything about Oldham. The standard of the reporting is a disgrace we've had certain posters on here make stuff up to see if it can get into the Chron and its also ended up in the MEN- but that is to be expected from a bunch of provincal journalists who aren't good enough for the Daily Sport.

Sometimes they do get it right- what I've seen of their stuff about Failsworth (or what I can remember about it) was pretty good and quite balanced. Our coverage in relation to that of Wigan and Bolton is quite good when you factor in they are two divisions above us. They've also got the balance between us and Stockport quite good too (Rochdale and Bury can be wrong at times). I will say this although I have a big beef with the MEN at least I can get hold of a copy easily if I'm near Manchester (unlike the Chron).

They've given FC United more column inches than us at times for pre/post match reports- which considering they are nothing

Nail on head, I don't necessarily think we deserve more coverage, but it dissapoints me that when a big story breaks at Oldham, its is put behind the "gossip" of the big clubs.

Only if you see us as attracting support from Manchester... Which I don't...

The paper is sold in many areas which even the most ardent of Oldhamers will admit is outside of Manchester. Further, how many people who live in Oldham commute to and from Manchester everyday?

To have the number one regional newspaper in the country at our disposal and to then dismiss it as irrelevant is just farcical and I say that in reply to one of my very best friends in Dave Ragg.

The paper is sold in many areas which even the most ardent of Oldhamers will admit is outside of Manchester. Further, how many people who live in Oldham commute to and from Manchester everyday?

To have the number one regional newspaper in the country at our disposal and to then dismiss it as irrelevant is just farcical and I say that in reply to one of my very best friends in Dave Ragg.

If you want to watch Oldham people know where it is... The MEN will make no difference...

If you want to watch Oldham people know where it is... The MEN will make no difference...

Frankly, that's bollocks.

Whilst the dedicated fan will know, sure, there is plenty of scope for the local media to influence the casual fan in their decision making, opinion foundations and more.

Frankly, that's bollocks.

Whilst the dedicated fan will know, sure, there is plenty of scope for the local media to influence the casual fan in their decision making, opinion foundations and more.

And the attendance direction since the MEN became are media partner ?

Just wondering on what evidence you can state what I just said as bollocks...

Your belief it makes any difference at all is what is bollocks...

What makes a difference is the quality of product... Which is :censored:e... And no amount of bollocks in a declining communication medium is going to make any difference...

Edited by oafc0000

And the attendance direction since the MEN became are media partner ?

Part of the reason I posed the question in the first instance.

Just wondering on what evidence you can state what I just said as bollocks...

Your belief it makes any difference at all is what is bollocks...

at all

That's a key term. I'm not suggesting that the MEN's coverage of Latics, if better, would see hundreds of people pouring through the door. I'm just postulating that an improved coverage of Latics (like many have pointed out, a United/City rumour will take precedence over a Latics fact) would see an improved knowledge of the club in the local area amongst the casual observer. Will it bring them to BP? I can't say, I don't have the data. But I think it would help.

What makes a difference is the quality of product... Which is :censored:e... And no amount of bollocks in a declining communication medium is going to make any difference...

I agree, product is key.

MEN can be vital in increasing our support.

To regard it as not being is idiotic to say the least.

So the MEN do a article on the club... What do they talk about...

:censored: season, no money, crap stadium, sub standard players, moving to Manchester... I can see the paper reporting bring out their Salford residents in the droves <_<

And they say there is no such thing as bad publicity....

Anyway, I will leave you all to day dream...

Edited by oafc0000

So the MEN do a article on the club... What do they talk about...

:censored: season, no money, crap stadium, sub standard players, moving to Manchester... I can see the paper reporting bring out their Salford residents in the droves <_<

And they say there is no such thing as bad publicity....

Anyway, I will leave you all to day dream...

That's part of the conversation though - there's always a way to spin a story. Hell, people make millions doing it on a daily basis. So coverage of things like Penney's leaving can be written very differently:

1. Oldham Athletic have today sacked manager Dave Penney after less than 12 months in charge of the League One club. Penney's side suffered dismally throughout the year and finished just two points above the relegation places.

2. Oldham Athletic have today parted company with manager Dave Penney, after the Latics failed to finish in the top half of League One for the first time in 5 years. Penney's side had a strong end to their League One campaign and it's hoped that a fresh man at the helm will restore Athletic's place challenging for promotion next year.

See?

That's part of the conversation though - there's always a way to spin a story. Hell, people make millions doing it on a daily basis. So coverage of things like Penney's leaving can be written very differently:

1. Oldham Athletic have today sacked manager Dave Penney after less than 12 months in charge of the League One club. Penney's side suffered dismally throughout the year and finished just two points above the relegation places.

2. Oldham Athletic have today parted company with manager Dave Penney, after the Latics failed to finish in the top half of League One for the first time in 5 years. Penney's side had a strong end to their League One campaign and it's hoped that a fresh man at the helm will restore Athletic's place challenging for promotion next year.

See?

Yeah, I can see the queues around BP as we speak :D

My point is... If you have a good product then its good to have it promoted... We don't and we are better worrying about improving the product than getting a shop window to show off just how :censored:e the product currently is.

And by good, I mean something worth paying £20 for... I can't remember the last time Latics was worth paying £20 for...

Edited by oafc0000