Coverage We Deserve?

My point is... If you have a good product then its good to have it promoted... We don't and we are better worrying about improving the product than getting a shop window to show off just how :censored:e the product currently is.

And by good, I mean something worth paying £20 for... I can't remember the last time Latics was worth paying £20 for...

Whilst related it's a separate issue... I'm more concerned with the coverage for the purpose of this thread.

Just to make the point that the MEN media partner stuff is driven mainly due to the Oldham Advertiser - which after a few mistakes a couple of years ago (with City advertising on the Oldham football pages) seems ok for Oldham news whenever I see it (though it's not often as I'm not in the area).

In terms of being 5 in the list that's about right. Long gone are the days when we used to be the 3rd club in the MEN, on Piccadilly Radio and NWT.

Edited by lookers87

but do you feel we're getting the coverage we should?

It's the Manchester Evening News, so to be honest, I couldn't give a damn whether they cover us of not.

Jesus Dave. You know I love you man, but that's ridiculous.

Why is that ridiculous? Is it because it's not the answer you wanted? You ask if we feel we get the coverage that we should. I say that as its Manchester's newspaper, I don't care what coverage they give us. Not ridiculous at all, its just a simple answer to your question.

The Manchester Evening News is exactly that, so if they only ever covered United, City and a couple of Manc non-league clubs then you would not see me complaining. We have a local daily paper to cover us, so the fact that they cover us at all is more than adequate as far as I am concerned.

I'm more arsed about why the Oldham Chronicle sees fit to cover United and City (last time I checked, neither were from Oldham.) Frankly, I think is a disgrace.

Why is that ridiculous? Is it because it's not the answer you wanted? You ask if we feel we get the coverage that we should. I say that as its Manchester's newspaper, I don't care what coverage they give us. Not ridiculous at all, its just a simple answer to your question.

The Manchester Evening News is exactly that, so if they only ever covered United, City and a couple of Manc non-league clubs then you would not see me complaining. We have a local daily paper to cover us, so the fact that they cover us at all is more than adequate as far as I am concerned.

I'm more arsed about why the Oldham Chronicle sees fit to cover United and City (last time I checked, neither were from Oldham.) Frankly, I think is a disgrace.

As I've pointed out. The paper's name is not definitive. It's sold in Oldham and to Oldhamers who commute into Manchester. It's also the biggest regional newspaper in the country and thus an ideal tool for reaching the masses of the Greater Manchester area, of which Oldham and it's surrounds are part.

That makes relevant to Oldham to some extent, not just some detached entity called Manchester which has no interaction with the Oldham area.

As for the Chron, couldn't agree more.

As I've pointed out. The paper's name is not definitive. It's sold in Oldham and to Oldhamers who commute into Manchester. It's also the biggest regional newspaper in the country and thus an ideal tool for reaching the masses of the Greater Manchester area, of which Oldham and it's surrounds are part.

That makes relevant to Oldham to some extent, not just some detached entity called Manchester which has no interaction with the Oldham area.

As for the Chron, couldn't agree more.

Well, its pointless trying to reach out to the masses of Greater Manchester. The people of Oldham don't give a :censored: about Latics, why would the people of Bury care?

But seriously, what is the circulation of the M.E.N in Oldham? I'd guess the coverage we (and all the other teams) get is proportional to the amount of readers the town has.

Also, does anyone pick up the M.E.N to find out news about Latics? I'd guess at no. Anyone in Oldham who wants to find out news about Latics will get the Chron (another reason why I dont understand why the Chron cover the manc clubs...you can just get the M.E.N.) Anyone who lives out of Oldham (but in Gtr Manchester) and wants to find out Latics news will more than likely look online. And the amount who live in Gtr Manchester, support Latics and cant get online will be minimal.

So...the M.E.N cover us sufficiently. But if they didn't, I don't think it would make any difference (and I still wouldn't care.)

Well, its pointless trying to reach out to the masses of Greater Manchester. The people of Oldham don't give a :censored: about Latics, why would the people of Bury care?

But seriously, what is the circulation of the M.E.N in Oldham? I'd guess the coverage we (and all the other teams) get is proportional to the amount of readers the town has.

Also, does anyone pick up the M.E.N to find out news about Latics? I'd guess at no. Anyone in Oldham who wants to find out news about Latics will get the Chron (another reason why I dont understand why the Chron cover the manc clubs...you can just get the M.E.N.) Anyone who lives out of Oldham (but in Gtr Manchester) and wants to find out Latics news will more than likely look online. And the amount who live in Gtr Manchester, support Latics and cant get online will be minimal.

So...the M.E.N cover us sufficiently. But if they didn't, I don't think it would make any difference (and I still wouldn't care.)

Jesus, do you need a passport to buy a house a few miles down the road now? Despite the borough/postcode paranoia about where the new ground is planned, people don't give a toss if they see a nice place down the road. I dare say there are a few Bury fans living in Rochdale or Oldham or Salford who cast their eye over the MEN for news, no need to be so defensive about it IMO.

The paper is sold in many areas which even the most ardent of Oldhamers will admit is outside of Manchester. Further, how many people who live in Oldham commute to and from Manchester everyday?

To have the number one regional newspaper in the country at our disposal and to then dismiss it as irrelevant is just farcical and I say that in reply to one of my very best friends in Dave Ragg.

The what?! It was a glorified advertsiing sheet the last time I saw it. London Standard, The Scotsman, Yorkshire Evening Post, Western Daily Press.... Can't say I see them all regualrly but they do usually resemble newspapers.

OMG Oldham is not some local club for local people you know- if you had to live in Oldham to go watch Oldham we'd be lucky to get 2,000 nevermind 3,000. My Dad for one gets his Oldham news from the MEN (unless I've told him first)- he struggles to use a computer. For example when we sacked Penney he had no idea because it was hidden away in the MEN.

In terms of time Oldham is his nearest club (I've done it in under 10 mins), he lives in what's technically Rochdale and as the crow flies Bury is his nearest ground (probably). As I've said time and time again (til the point I'm getting bored of saying it)- getting the Chron outside of Oldham is a faff. The fact that the people of Oldham couldn't care less about Oldham Athletic says so much about Oldham but there are God knows how many people outside of Oldham who do care and for some of them the only way they find out is by the MEN.

If you want to make your team a non Manc one I suggest you :censored: off and go support Oldham town/borough/whatever they are called. Maybe just maybe if we had advertised in the Manchester papers as opposed to simply the Oldham one we might have got a few more in when we were letting people in for very little.

As for zeros the Manchester evening news isn't just sold in that tiny bit of Greater Manchester which is Manchester and Salford you know in fact I would wager its easier for you to get hold of one than it is for the likes of my Dad to get hold of the Chron.

OMG Oldham is not some local club for local people you know- if you had to live in Oldham to go watch Oldham we'd be lucky to get 2,000 nevermind 3,000. My Dad for one gets his Oldham news from the MEN (unless I've told him first)- he struggles to use a computer. For example when we sacked Penney he had no idea because it was hidden away in the MEN.

In terms of time Oldham is his nearest club (I've done it in under 10 mins), he lives in what's technically Rochdale and as the crow flies Bury is his nearest ground (probably). As I've said time and time again (til the point I'm getting bored of saying it)- getting the Chron outside of Oldham is a faff. The fact that the people of Oldham couldn't care less about Oldham Athletic says so much about Oldham but there are God knows how many people outside of Oldham who do care and for some of them the only way they find out is by the MEN.

If you want to make your team a non Manc one I suggest you :censored: off and go support Oldham town/borough/whatever they are called. Maybe just maybe if we had advertised in the Manchester papers as opposed to simply the Oldham one we might have got a few more in when we were letting people in for very little.

As for zeros the Manchester evening news isn't just sold in that tiny bit of Greater Manchester which is Manchester and Salford you know in fact I would wager its easier for you to get hold of one than it is for the likes of my Dad to get hold of the Chron.

So, the key points to what I said were...

The M.E.N covers us sufficiently.

The amount of Latics fans where the M.E.N is their only source of Latics news is minimal.

If the M.E.N didn't cover us at all I wouldn't care one jot (as it wouldn't affect me. At all.)

Is there something wrong with them points?

Edited by dave_ragg1984

So, the key points to what I said were...

The M.E.N covers us sufficiently.

The amount of Latics fans where the M.E.N is their only source of Latics news is minimal.

If the M.E.N didn't cover us at all I wouldn't care one jot (as it wouldn't affect me. At all.)

Is there something wrong with them points?

I made my response to your first point already.

The second- yeah you probably are right but it seems harsh on those who rely on the MEN for their Latics news.

The third sums up the attitude of a lot of Oldham fans- less MEN coverage = less publicity for the club with the fact our attendances are as low as I can remember (and judging by your user name I'm the same age as you) we need all the help we can get. This seems to be a big reason why loads of people are against the move to Failsworth as it means and extra 10 minute journey for them- Boo Hoo.

I made my response to your first point already.

The second- yeah you probably are right but it seems harsh on those who rely on the MEN for their Latics news.

The third sums up the attitude of a lot of Oldham fans- less MEN coverage = less publicity for the club with the fact our attendances are as low as I can remember (and judging by your user name I'm the same age as you) we need all the help we can get. This seems to be a big reason why loads of people are against the move to Failsworth as it means and extra 10 minute journey for them- Boo Hoo.

It's a completely different debate for a completely different thread... but thats b******s (the extra 10 mins travel bit.)

And for the bit before... there is no way of proving either way whether or not less coverage in the M.E.N would affect attendances. But has been said already, they do cover us sufficiently. And I am not saying they should cover us less.

It's a completely different debate for a completely different thread... but thats b******s (the extra 10 mins travel bit.)

And for the bit before... there is no way of proving either way whether or not less coverage in the M.E.N would affect attendances. But has been said already, they do cover us sufficiently. And I am not saying they should cover us less.

They cover us sufficently for you and if they were to cover us less you wouldn't care (as I presume you don't read it). I care because I think coverage from the MEN gets us more publicity, which means more sponsorship, and IMHO more people turning up at the gate. (It shouldn't be much of a surprise to you that I hardly read the paper either).

EDIT- Oh and which way is it nonsense (the 10 minute extra) as I was thinking I might be being a bit generous.

Edited by rudemedic

They cover us sufficently for you and if they were to cover us less you wouldn't care (as I presume you don't read it). I care because I think coverage from the MEN gets us more publicity, which means more sponsorship, and IMHO more people turning up at the gate. (It shouldn't be much of a surprise to you that I hardly read the paper either).

EDIT- Oh and which way is it nonsense (the 10 minute extra) as I was thinking I might be being a bit generous.

It's nonsense because the main reason many people are against is that people dont see it as Oldham, or dont think that part of Oldham will be a success for us... nothing to do with having to travel and extra 10 mins...as many people who are against it would have their travelling time cut.

It's nonsense because the main reason many people are against is that people dont see it as Oldham, or dont think that part of Oldham will be a success for us... nothing to do with having to travel and extra 10 mins...as many people who are against it would have their travelling time cut.

I didn't say it was the biggest reason (or even the main reason) did I?

No, just a "big" reason why "loads" of fans were against it. And I am saying it's not....it might be a small reason why some fans are against it.

I think for quite a few fans its a big reason (it might not be the biggest or even second biggest etc.) but an extra 10 minutes seems to make a big deal for some of those who are against it (loads is a number not a percentage to me so loads could be a fraction of 1%). And you didn't say that until now.

Anyway we are getting off topic I notice you haven't argued against the idea that less publicity= less sponsorship= less cash for the club.

Anyway we are getting off topic I notice you haven't argued against the idea that less publicity= less sponsorship= less cash for the club.

Well, I put this before, because I don't really agree that less publicity is good for us...but no news about us in the MEN is not guaranteed to affect our attendances.