Everybody Draw Mohammed Day

FFS

The attack on free speech is that of people being silenced with violence. The same of many of your examples.

And I didn't list Salman Rushdie as a cartoonist. When did I say the problem was only about cartoons? For the record neither are Ayaan Hirsi Ali or Theo Van Gogh cartoonists.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Satanic-Verses-Sal...e/dp/0963270702

Funny I can still buy it... But aren't we under attack ?

• Replies 393
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

At least Rushdie took the time to study Islam very closely. His conclusions may have been extreme, but he knew exactly what he was letting himself in for.

The cartoonists launched themselves into something they knew nothing about, in the process completely failing to give a very different culture any respect. Is it impossible for people to understand that something that may appear trivial and silly in our western eyes can equally be a heinous blasphemy in the eyes of a different culture? And that our view is no more worthy than theirs?

It strikes me that kind of empathy strikes to the very core of freedom of speech. Why should we impose our view on any aspect of Islam?

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Satanic-Verses-Sal...e/dp/0963270702

Funny I can still buy it... But aren't we under attack ?

He has been. For 21 years.

Make your mind up. Are you denying that Freedom is speech is under attack or that it isn't a big enough issue compared to other things.

He has been. For 21 years.

Make your mind up. Are you denying that Freedom is speech is under attack or that it isn't a big enough issue compared to other things.

Yet, he lives and his books is still available, so his freedom to speak is being upheld ?

Freedom of speech is a big issue...

It is better highlighted and tackled by other methods than the ones you have put forward... Which have been childish, insulting and dam right ineffective to bring about any resolution to the issues we face.

Edited by oafc0000

Go on then... Link mad insulting cartoonists to Cancer ... This should be fun....

I was giving you an analogy of your argument. I should have known it wouldn't understand it. Someone else explain it to him. If I wanted to take the role of a kindergarten teacher I would trained to be one.

I was giving you an analogy of your argument. I should have known it wouldn't understand it. Someone else explain it to him. If I wanted to take the role of a kindergarten teacher I would trained to be one.

:lol:

I will take that as another fail then :grin:

You seem to be demanding the freedom to heinously insult 2 billion people, and then express deep shock and act the victim when a tiny handful of extremists respond violently.

Tell you what, first Leeds home game next season why don't you go to Elland Rd with a loud hailer, stand in the middle and call them all a bunch of sheep sh*gging scum, then see the consequences of your "freedom of speech". Many will ignore you, many will shout at you, and I predict a handful, half a dozen maybe, will manage to reach the middle of the pitch and hospitalise you.

Is there any difference?

Edited by garcon

You seem to be demanding the freedom to heinously insult 2 billion people, and then express deep shock and act the victim when a tiny handful of extremists respond violently.

Tell you what, first Leeds home game next season why don't you go to Elland Rd with a loud hailer, stand in the middle and call them all a bunch of sheep sh*gging scum, then see what your freedom of speech causes. Many will ignore you, many will shout at you, and I predict a handful, half a dozen maybe, will manage to reach the middle of the pitch and hospitalise you.

Is there any difference?

:applause1:

Yet, he lives and his books is still available, so his freedom to speak is being upheld ?

His freedom of speech came at the expense of the fatwa against him. That was the trade off. An unacceptable one.

It is better highlighted and tackled by other methods than the ones you have put forward... Which have been childish, insulting and dam right ineffective to bring about any resolution to the issues we face.

It was a message of solidarity. Noone expected a full resolution.

I've said all I can say on this. Again I find your perspective overwhelmingly short sighted, to continually brush it off off as childish. It is childishness we are standing up against.

His freedom of speech came at the expense of the fatwa against him. That was the trade off. An unacceptable one.

It was a message of solidarity. Noone expected a full resolution.

I've said all I can say on this. Again I find your perspective overwhelmingly short sighted, to continually brush it off off as childish. It is childishness we are standing up against.

Drawing naughty pictures which you know will offend a lot of people. Now if that is not childish then I do not know what is.

Meanwhile... Much more serious issues go on effecting people every day while you are drawing your pictures fuelling the silliness...

My only point is that your approach to this is childish... I never said it was not an issue... Its just not as big of an issue as you claim it is...

Edited by oafc0000

Tell you what, first Leeds home game next season why don't you go to Elland Rd with a loud hailer, stand in the middle and call them all a bunch of sheep sh*gging scum, then see the consequences of your "freedom of speech". Many will ignore you, many will shout at you, and I predict a handful, half a dozen maybe, will manage to reach the middle of the pitch and hospitalise you.

Is there any difference?

Heinously insult? :shock::lol:

Any violent reaction by them would be an overreaction of course.

But here's the main difference. One is in person. The other is not. One is far more up front, and a personal attack. The other is not.

Let me throw this question back at you. If you and others posted on this message board that Leeds fans were "sheep shagging scum", would you be prepared to shut up when Leeds fans retaliated with death threats and some of the board members started being hospitalised or killed?

Talking about oppression, what's your views on Sharia Law. :wink:

I honestly don't know enough about it to comment properly. I know it has parts the UK will thankfully never adopt as even a lot of muslims believe it goes too far. I also know it contains many parts which can be implemented into UK law while not having a serious impact upon anyone other than the ones who wish to execute that part of the law.

So I view its impact upon the UK with caution...

If I am honest, I like the way the french are quite secular with there approach to things. Keeping state and religion separate is not a bad thing.

Drawing naughty pictures which you know will offend a lot of people. Now if that is not childish then I do not know what is.

Meanwhile... Much more serious issues go on effecting people every day while you are drawing your pictures fuelling the silliness...

My only point is that your approach to this is childish... I never said it was not an issue... Its just not as big of an issue as you claim it is...

1)Comedians every day do things that they know will offend some people (such is the nature of comedy). Are they childish?

2)So what would your appraoch be? (assuming you cared)

1)Comedians every day do things that they know will offend some people (such is the nature of comedy). Are they childish?

Within comedy I think there is humour most will accept (Terry Wogan) and comedy which causes repulsion (Bernard Manning)...

I would say if we are comparing drawings to comedy... You are operating closer to the Manning side of the argument than the Wogan side...

2)So what would your appraoch be? (assuming you cared)

To what.... The idiots drawing picture to offend billions or to the idiots screaming blue murder at them ? or the idiot that killed the guy ?

Edited by oafc0000

Heinously insult? :shock::lol:

That just proves you are a bigot. You simply cannot see this through the eyes of a different culture. Instead you impose your own culture on them and expect them to comply.

As for your revision of my analogy, it's kind of hypothetical because I have more decency and sense than to launch an unprovoked attack upon a group of people who just happen to be different to me.

Within comedy I think there is humour most will accept (Terry Wogan) and comedy which cause repulsion (Bernard Manning)...

I would say if we are comparing drawings to comedy... You are operating closer to the Manning side of the argument than the Wogan side...

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:. Even Terry Wogan will have knowingly offended people with his comments.

I wouldn't compare this to Bernard Manning. More like Marcus Brigstocke. But the question is, are comedians being childish when they write material they know will offend some people?

To what.... The idiots drawing picture to offend billions or to the idiots screaming blue murder at them ? or the idiot that killed the guy ?

Please read the comment that you made for the answer to that. You were the one who claimed that the wrong approach was being taken here. I want to know what yours would be.

Edited by PhilStarbucksSilkySkills

The idiots drawing picture to offend billions

If it breaks UK law :jailed:

If it breaks EU law :jailed:

Some people might want to take note of recent EU laws being push which deal with the issue of causing offence.

otherwise nothing other than to treat them with the same contempt we treat most people who have no interest in living in a peaceful and friendly society...

or to the idiots screaming blue murder at them

Nothing to them unless they break the law if so :jailed:

I think everyone should try to understand what offended them, review what we did and if there was a compelling reason to do it.

or the idiot that killed the guy ?

Let these boys :bobby: put him in :jailed:

Edited by oafc0000

That just proves you are a bigot. You simply cannot see this through the eyes of a different culture. Instead you impose your own culture on them and expect them to comply.

So, i'm a bigot merely because I think that another culture is wrong for being insulted by something so trivial. And you are such an unbelievable tard that you think that myself not wanting them to impose their culture on us equates to imposing my culture on them.

As for your revision of my analogy, it's kind of hypothetical because I have more decency and sense than to launch an unprovoked attack upon a group of people who just happen to be different to me.

You completely miss the point AGAIN.

IF (try this on for a minute) you or others were inclined to call Leeds fans sheep shaggers on this board, would you stop under the knowledge that doing it again could cause you actual bodily harm. Would you give in to the threat of violence? Or would you stand up against it.

So, i'm a bigot merely because I think that another culture is wrong for being insulted by something so trivial.

A bigot is a person obstinately or intolerantly devoted to his or her own opinions and prejudices.

The correct use of the term requires the elements of obstinacy, irrationality, and animosity toward those of differing opinion.

The term is also used to refer to persons hostile to people of differing race, ethnicity, nationality, sexual orientation, religion etc.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bigotry

Open and shut case...

Edited by oafc0000

A bigot is a person obstinately or intolerantly devoted to his or her own opinions and prejudices.

I am intollerant of oppressive behaviour. Nothing else. That is also my only prejudice (if you can call it that)

The correct use of the term requires the elements of obstinacy, irrationality, and animosity toward those of differing opinion.

I'm anything but obstant or irrational. I welcome other opinions and I encourage all opinions to be challenged (including my own). It's when those opinions turn into oppression that the animosity begins.

The term is also used to refer to persons hostile to people of differing race, ethnicity, nationality, sexual orientation, religion etc.

I am hostile to none of those. I disagree with the idea of religion. But I am only hostile to any belief system when it is used as an excuse for oppressive behaviour.

Open and shut case...

Of what?

I am intollerant of oppressive behaviour. Nothing else. That is also my only prejudice (if you can call it that)

Do you realise aggression comes in many forms ? Fists, kicks, words, drawings... Can all assert aggression...

You are happy to assert aggression onto muslims through your insulting drawings. It is an aggressive attack upon their culture and beliefs. You are knowingly doing something to offend and enrage them.

The only reason for aggression is to oppress... It's what idiots do when they lose the mental battle and self control.

Like I said, you have become the very thing you say you are fighting for. Just another extremist looking to impose their idea of what is right and proper upon the world.

I'm anything but obstant or irrational. I welcome other opinions and I encourage all opinions to be challenged (including my own). It's when those opinions turn into oppression that the animosity begins.

You are certainly irrational... and how you could every suggested that you are not obstant is beyond me :)

I am hostile to none of those. I disagree with the idea of religion. But I am only hostile to any belief system when it is used as an excuse for oppressive behaviour.

You are hostile towards religion. You are quite happy to offend and totally disregard the thoughts and feelings of billions of people. That is very hostile approach.

Personally I never have felt the need to draw a picture of Mo... why would i? You on the other hand are going out of your way to do so... Sounds hostile to me...

Edited by oafc0000