Everybody Draw Mohammed Day

It's very wrong, on all kinds of levels. But I'm not entirely sure what you want me to do about it.

Insult even more people in the good name of free speech it would seem.... You know, make a real point of it... See if we can even get the most liberal of muslims fired up... Then we can sit back and say, see, told you so... Because that's good for society :huh:

I suggest we do nothing, let the police handle it, and we all go on trying to get along and let the police deal with the nutters amongst us.

Edited by oafc0000

• Replies 393
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It's very wrong, on all kinds of levels. But I'm not entirely sure what you want me to do about it.

I didn't ask you to do anything about it, I merely provided the relevant link.

But your attitude has been that there are bigger problems facing free speech. I'd still like to know what they are.

Insult even more people in the good name of free speech it would seem.... You know, make a real point of it... See if we can even get the most liberal of muslims fired up..

NO muslim who would be all that fired up by a picture of a 1500 year old man could ever be described as liberal.

I suggest we do nothing, let the police handle it, and we all go on trying to get along and let the police deal with the nutters amongst us.

I'm not going to go over this again with you. If you think all it will take to stand up to these people, and the cowards who give in to their barbarian demands, is the police, then good look to you. You live in a very simplistic world.

Edited by PhilStarbucksSilkySkills

But your attitude has been that there are bigger problems facing free speech. I'd still like to know what they are.

In China, 1.2 billion people live in conditions of constant, invasive government oppression.

In Russia, people live in constant fear of somehow 'upsetting' the criminal gangs that dominate the economy.

In the UK, people can be detained without charge for a month or more under anti-terrorism legislation and are afraid of saying what they think for fear of being charged with inciting racial and religious hatred. Worse still, people can be imprisoned indefinitely, charged with acts of terrorism, by doing no more than downloading information about how to make a bomb from the internet.

To me, they are a tad more significant than the persecution of a handful of cartoonists by an extreme minority.

In China, 1.2 billion people live in conditions of constant, invasive government oppression.

In Russia, people live in constant fear of somehow 'upsetting' the criminal gangs that dominate the economy.

In the UK, people can be detained without charge for a month or more under anti-terrorism legislation and are afraid of saying what they think for fear of being charged with inciting racial and religious hatred. Worse still, people can be imprisoned indefinitely, charged with acts of terrorism, by doing no more than downloading information about how to make a bomb from the internet.

To me, they are a tad more significant than the persecution of a handful of cartoonists by an extreme minority.

+1

Great. I'm against those too. They don't make this particular issue any less worth fighting for though.

Are there 1.2 billion of them?

How about the number of foreign national muslims currently held indefinitely in jail in the US and UK under vague (too vague to actually bring any charges) suspicion of being "involved in terrorism" ?

I bet there's more of them than there are cartoonists wishing they'd not been drawn into this ridiculous nutter-bating.

:shock:

A bit slow aren't you oafc?

You seem to of highlighted exactly what I was saying :) Isolated incidents... While others have shown much larger, wider and important attacks upon freedom of speech etc from people actually in a position to have impact upon the masses.

Are there 1.2 billion of them?

How about the number of foreign national muslims currently held indefinitely in jail in the US and UK under vague (too vague to actually bring any charges) suspicion of being "involved in terrorism" ?

I bet there's more of them than there are cartoonists wishing they'd not been drawn into this ridiculous nutter-bating.

What a staggeringly myopic perspective one must have to shrug this off as "ridiculous nutter-bating".

Avoiding returning to the debate which was played out last week - I don't think the argument that other 'bigger' infractions on free speech exist should detract from this example... 'give them an inch and they'll take a mile' - that's how the Digital Economy Act became so hideously oppressive.

What a staggeringly myopic perspective one must have to shrug this off as "ridiculous nutter-bating".

What a staggering lack of perspective you must have to consider it the single most important attack on freedom of speech.

And then to have the sheer impudence to list Salman Rushdie amongst your bloody cartoonists.

Edited by garcon

You seem to of highlighted exactly what I was saying :) Isolated incidents... While others have shown much larger, wider and important attacks upon freedom of speech etc from people actually in a position to have impact upon the masses.

I suppose because they are "isolated incidents" then its not so much of a big deal then. I'm sure if we all bury our heads in the sand then the problem will go away.

It's like saying that because there's people dying of cancer in the UK, then we shouldn't be worried about AIDS.

What a staggering lack of perspective you must have to consider it the single most important attack on freedom of speech.

And then to have the sheer impudence to list Salman Rushdie amongst your bloody cartoonists.

Perspective is a fine thing and it is often lost upon people...

Much like the BNP do (and I am not trying to get this into a racial debate)... They claim they are representing the masses by highlighting exceptional incidents involving a minority of people and then try to blow things up to a MUCH bigger issue than they are... This is very similar (the attempt at making something out of nothing - not racial link ups)...

We should all be scared about what one nutted did in a far off country supported by hundreds in a even more far off country.

Well, no, not really...

Then to use this as good grounding for then insulting millions of people that live in this country and billions around the world, is weak, seriously weak...

FFS

The attack on free speech is that of people being silenced with violence. The same as many of your examples.

And I didn't list Salman Rushdie as a cartoonist. When did I say the problem was only about cartoons? For the record neither are Ayaan Hirsi Ali or Theo Van Gogh cartoonists.

Edited by PhilStarbucksSilkySkills