• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

I guess not even football is secular.

Do they have a club astrologist too?

if we do have an astrologist he obviously isnt any good or it would have been wrote in the stars that Penney would be :censored:e

Often in life people and even footballers have bigger questions than what make of boots shall i wear?

A club chaplain from what I understand is someone that is around the club as a point of contact outside of the club for 1-1 chats etc away from the pressures on the shoulders of what are sometimes young men.

Take the Andy Liddle situation when he lost his child. I reckon that whether he took up the option or not (we will never know as i imagine there is a confidentiality element to the role) having a neutral around the place would have been helpful for him to talk about things rather than sharing it with whoever he sits next to in the changing room.

Now whatever your faith/religion is the reason I guess this chap has the role is that as a local vicar the football club will fall in his parish and he has a responsibility to serve them in the way they feel they need.

And why is a chaplain uniquely qualified for this task?

Quite a lot of Organisitions have Chaplains or similar, I would imagine that in this case he probably offered to be the club chaplain and the club said yes.

You could say "why have one" but equally you could say "why not have one".

Often in life people and even footballers have bigger questions than what make of boots shall i wear?

A club chaplain from what I understand is someone that is around the club as a point of contact outside of the club for 1-1 chats etc away from the pressures on the shoulders of what are sometimes young men.

Take the Andy Liddle situation when he lost his child. I reckon that whether he took up the option or not (we will never know as i imagine there is a confidentiality element to the role) having a neutral around the place would have been helpful for him to talk about things rather than sharing it with whoever he sits next to in the changing room.

Now whatever your faith/religion is the reason I guess this chap has the role is that as a local vicar the football club will fall in his parish and he has a responsibility to serve them in the way they feel they need.

I still think he should have the job title of "club councilor" rather than "club chaplain". As it stands, by referring to him as the club's chaplain they are promoting a religion. They are a private organisation and IMO it is their right to do that. But they should be aware how devisive and offputting a job title can be in such circumstances.

Does any club really want to be known as having a religious affiliation when they are hopefully trying attract supporters and players of multiple faiths and non religious persuasions?

I still think he should have the job title of "club councilor" rather than "club chaplain". As it stands, by referring to him as the club's chaplain they are promoting a religion. They are a private organisation and IMO it is their right to do that. But they should be aware how devisive and offputting a job title can be in such circumstances.

Does any club really want to be known as having a religious affiliation when they are hopefully trying attract supporters and players of multiple faiths and non religious persuasions?

As I said, he wouldn't need to be a Christian. I believe in the Forces there are chaplains of different faiths. I grant you that doesn't cover people such as me, and I rather suspect me, who don;t believe in all that gubbins, but I'm not going to lose sleep over it. It's clearly a tradition from days when pretty much everyone around the club would have been Christian and more likely than not a churchgoer, I don;t think it does any harm so I'm not going to be arsed campaigning against it!

Not necesarily, a Chaplain typically would be a member of the clergy (as I believe ours is) but you can get non-ordained Chaplains and even non-religious ones.

His job description appears to be "club chaplain". Not "club councilor"

And clearly you don't understand what is meant by "uniquely qualified"

I understand perfectly well what you meant by "uniquely qualified".

However it seems you don't understand the difference between councilor [sic] and counsellor.

You are fisihing so I will bite.

It does not seem to have put them off so far, maybe you shoudl ask Joe JAcobson and S

The club directors have made their own religious affiliations pretty clear.

Depsite being from a different religion themselves, they have clearly not had an issue.

Why have you got one?

I suspect they have not called him a club "councillor" (sic) becasue he is not a member of the local government.

They have not called him counsellor weither becasue he is preumbly not trained in that field and is not the sort of service he offers.

Edited by singe

As I said, he wouldn't need to be a Christian. I believe in the Forces there are chaplains of different faiths. I grant you that doesn't cover people such as me, and I rather suspect me, who don;t believe in all that gubbins, but I'm not going to lose sleep over it. It's clearly a tradition from days when pretty much everyone around the club would have been Christian and more likely than not a churchgoer, I don;t think it does any harm so I'm not going to be arsed campaigning against it!

Well like I said, as a private funded organisation I think they can do as they wish, so I wouldn't bother campaigning either. I'm certainly not one for enforced political correctness. However I still think the club is being very silly in respecting such a devisive tradition.

For me, respecting traditions is never an excuse for not moving forward.

You are fisihing so I will bite.

It does not seem to have put them off so far.

You seem awfully sure of this

The club directors have made their own religious affiliations pretty clear.

Depsite being from a different religion themselves, they have clearly not had an issue.

Why have you got one?

Obviously they don't have an issue with it. I'm merely pointing out I believe they should be more clever than that.

They have not called him counsellor weither becasue he is preumbly not trained in that field and is not the sort of service he offers.

If he is not trained in the field and he doesn't offer that service, then he is exclusively there to offer religious support. Which means they are all the more endorsing a religion. This is fine if they want to be known as a christian club. It is foolish if they do not.

Edited by PhilStarbucksSilkySkills