UN condemns Israel for attack on aid convoy

Matt

The worlds runt has caused more trouble, directly and indirectly, than anywhere else since 1939. Indeed, proportionally, given the size and population of the whole area, it has caused more trouble than any other country/area ever. What used to be a sympathetic cause has become a the source of civil and human rights violations. How ironic.

Am I missing something in all this ?

The ships were warned... Then boarded... They then attacked the commandos throwing one of them off the side... The commandos then responded with force...

Would we expect anything less from British forces ?

Edited by oafc0000

The ships were warned... Then boarded... They then attacked the commandos throwing one of them off the side... The commandos then responded with force...

There is worldwide comdenation at the loss of life as 10 deaths does seem to be quite high and the fact the commandos only boarded the boat to enforce a blockade that according to a UN resolution, shouldn't be there. Not to mention the boat was boarded in international waters.

Though, there does need to be an independent investigation into this.

Haven't checked the rule book, but can a country legally impose a naval blockade in international waters?

In the rule book the jews have...its perfectly acceptable.. :grin:

and someone just posted this...Though, there does need to be an independent investigation into this.

and then what, does anyone believe the jews will take a blind bit of notice...??

will they 'eckers like :lol:

Hamas refused on Wednesday to allow the aid equipment that was captured by the IDF aboard the flotilla ships earlier this week to enter the Gaza Strip.

"We refuse to receive the humanitarian aid until all those who were detained aboard the ships are released," said Ahmed Kurd, Minister for Social Welfare in the Hamas government said. "We also insist that the equipment be delivered in its entirety."

Kurd said that Israel's decision to allow a number of wheelchairs to be delivered to the Gaza Strip was a "deception," claiming that the batteries that operate them had been removed, making them useless.

The Hamas minister said that Israel's decision to send some of the aid that was seized aboard the ships to the Gaza Strip was designed to divert attention from the "massacre" that took place in the sea.

Calling for lifting the blockade on the Gaza Strip, Kurd welcomed Egypt's decision to reopen the Rafah border crossing. He expressed hope that the terminal would remain opened on a permanent basis.

Taher a-Nunu, spokesman for the Hamas government, said that the issue of the humanitarian aid would be resolved only through consultations with the organizers of the convoy in Turkey.

israel let some 100 trucks carrying human supplies from Jordan, Turkey and international aid groups into the Gaza Strip via the Kerem Shalom border crossing on Tuesday.

In addition, five new ambulances given by Turkey were allowed into the Strip.

A Jordanian diplomat said 21 Jordanian army doctors and four field hospitals would be allowed to enter on Wednesday, though Israeli officials could not immediately confirm that.

He stressed that Hamas's top priority now was to ensure the release of all those who were detained aboard the ships.

Egyptian authorities on Wednesday banned Hamas's Minister of Health, Basem Naim, from travelling through the Rafah terminal.

Edited by boboafc

Hamas refused on Wednesday to allow the aid equipment that was captured by the IDF aboard the flotilla ships earlier this week to enter the Gaza Strip.

"We refuse to receive the humanitarian aid until all those who were detained aboard the ships are released," said Ahmed Kurd, Minister for Social Welfare in the Hamas government said. "We also insist that the equipment be delivered in its entirety."

Kurd said that Israel's decision to allow a number of wheelchairs to be delivered to the Gaza Strip was a "deception," claiming that the batteries that operate them had been removed, making them useless.

The Hamas minister said that Israel's decision to send some of the aid that was seized aboard the ships to the Gaza Strip was designed to divert attention from the "massacre" that took place in the sea.

Calling for lifting the blockade on the Gaza Strip, Kurd welcomed Egypt's decision to reopen the Rafah border crossing. He expressed hope that the terminal would remain opened on a permanent basis.

Taher a-Nunu, spokesman for the Hamas government, said that the issue of the humanitarian aid would be resolved only through consultations with the organizers of the convoy in Turkey.

israel let some 100 trucks carrying human supplies from Jordan, Turkey and international aid groups into the Gaza Strip via the Kerem Shalom border crossing on Tuesday.

In addition, five new ambulances given by Turkey were allowed into the Strip.

A Jordanian diplomat said 21 Jordanian army doctors and four field hospitals would be allowed to enter on Wednesday, though Israeli officials could not immediately confirm that.

He stressed that Hamas's top priority now was to ensure the release of all those who were detained aboard the ships.

Egyptian authorities on Wednesday banned Hamas's Minister of Health, Basem Naim, from travelling through the Rafah terminal.

On the face of it, Bob, it looks like the Israelis have lost this one hands down. Border reopened; aid on its way into Gaza anyway; public relations and diplomatic catastrophe.

The weirdest thing is that they seem to be admitting as much. Usually you just get some baloney like, "We had to drop white phosphorous on the primary school in the middle of the day because it was harbouring terrorists..." or "...the novelist was carrying a dangerous looking Swiss army knife, so the commandos and helicopters and automatic weapons were absolutely necessary..." but not this time. Strange.

When Somalians with guns board ships going from one country to another because they have an interest in the cargo, they are called pirates. If they shoot the crew, they are called murderers. If the crew fight back with whatever they have available, they are praised for their courage. Same difference. I would expect British forces not to be murdering pirates.

When Somalians with guns board ships going from one country to another because they have an interest in the cargo, they are called pirates. If they shoot the crew, they are called murderers. If the crew fight back with whatever they have available, they are praised for their courage. Same difference. I would expect British forces not to be murdering pirates.

You really think its the same :lol:

I don't think Somalians give you advance warnings or the options to sod off...

Edited by oafc0000

Maybe worse, the Somalians don't try to claim the moral high ground.

They don't give warnings or the options to sod off...

If you judge this on its merits alone and leave out the wider bollocks then I don't know what choices the commandos had...

Video last night showing the "aid" bringers, smashing bottles and preparing nasty looking metal poles for the commandos... Sorry if my sympathy lacks...

They don't give warnings or the options to sod off...

If you judge this on its merits alone and leave out the wider bollocks then I don't know what choices the commandos had...

Video last night showing the "aid" bringers, smashing bottles and preparing nasty looking metal poles for the commandos... Sorry if my sympathy lacks...

What were the merits of armed men boarding a ship to prevent it going to a foreign country to deliver aid? Does giving a warning make that OK? The commandos had the choice to not be there.

What were the merits of armed men boarding a ship to prevent it going to a foreign country to deliver aid? Does giving a warning make that OK? The commandos had the choice to not be there.

Feel free to bury your head in the sand about the threats that face Israel and its people... Feel free to bury your head in the sand that all these aids ships always containing aid...

Nothing is ever black and white and that is why I said pushing all this aside...

They was given a warning and they choose to ignore it... AND they then choose to attack the men with guns... Men with the authority...

Life skills man!!! What did they think would happen ? They would just wave them through :petesake:

Feel free to bury your head in the sand about the threats that face Israel and its people... Feel free to bury your head in the sand that all these aids ships always containing aid...

Nothing is ever black and white and that is why I said pushing all this aside...

They was given a warning and they choose to ignore it... AND they then choose to attack the men with guns... Men with the authority...

Life skills man!!! What did they think would happen ? They would just wave them through :petesake:

The men with guns had absolutely no authority, just guns. They expected just to be able to beat up the law abiding people sailing a boat through international waters, some of these people bravely resisted them. They no doubt knew they were going to get their heads smashed in and maybe shot - that's how the Israelis roll. Have you ever heard of sacrifice for a point of principle?

Anyway, I'll be round with the lads to take your motorhome tonight. We'll be armed, don't say I didn't warn you.

In the past I have been largely supportive of Israel to an extent but this and nicking UK passports to assasinate a Hamas leader have taken the biscuit. Until there is a independent investigation we will not know if the Israelis acted fairly or not but when the UN have condemned the loss of life, with US/UK backing, it doesn't look good for them.

Even if they acted within their rights, they killed 10 people doing it. This was an international aid Flotilla at the end of the day, not military warships. Ironically some of the deported have said that the loss of life may have been worth it if it has helped to do something for the Pallestinian people - Which it has. Israel are looking at a temporary easement of the Blockade and Egypt are opening the borders for the first time in years. I expect its also helped to recruit a few more to the anti israel cause. So a lose lose situation all round for Israel.

Edited by jimsleftfoot

The men with guns had absolutely no authority, just guns. They expected just to be able to beat up the law abiding people sailing a boat through international waters, some of these people bravely resisted them. They no doubt knew they were going to get their heads smashed in and maybe shot - that's how the Israelis roll. Have you ever heard of sacrifice for a point of principle?

Yup, so they died for their cause... What is the problem... Everyone can move on...

Anyway, I'll be round with the lads to take your motorhome tonight. We'll be armed, don't say I didn't warn you.

You can have it!!! I will just phone the police!!! I don't actually own a motorhome :)

Smoke grenade at leftist rally

Thousands of leftists rally in Tel Aviv amid heavy police presence to mark '43 years of occupation,' condemn lethal takeover of Gaza-bound ship; smoke grenade hurled at protestors, no injuries reported in incident

Yoav Zitun

Latest Update: 06.05.10, 21:24 / Israel News

Thousands of leftist activists marched in Tel Aviv Saturday evening to mark "43 years of occupation," while taking the opportunity to slam recent IDF raids on Gaza-bound ships.

news tonight

A smoke grenade was hurled at the protestors outside the Tel Aviv Museum. No injuries were reported in the incident.

The protestors, who were walking from Rabin Square to the Tel Aviv Museum, were holding up signs reading "The government is sinking all of us – we must aspire for peace." Other marchers held up signs reading "Israel, Palestine, two states for two people" and "We love the country but are ashamed of the government."

The rally has been organized by a leftist coalition that includes Meretz, Peace Now, Gush Shalom, Hadash, Physicians for Human Rights, and other organizations. The march was being lead by Knesset Members Muhammad Barakeh, Dov Khenin, and Haim Oron.

Organizers estimated that 15,000 people took part in the march.

Edited by boboafc

• 2 weeks later...

Just looking at this episode with the antics on the boat, you have to congratulate the IDF for such an efficient boarding of that vessel. It's textbook. The exfil ain't bad either, launched over the side of the boat? Superb.