Suggestions for Choosing a Company Car

I can empathise, as you well know.

I've never driven a VW. Did drive a brand spanking BMW 323 SE for a while when I was 18 though. Wasn't mine like but I put a few miles on it.

How long d'you get for it? Six months..? :wink:

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Nope.

Alll gets sorted for me.

OK cos if you did I would advise you to avoid the VW garage in Oldham (it used to be Lookers) as since it stopped being Lookers its servicing ain't been that good (in the opinion of my parents). They do decent buying deals though.

• 2 weeks later...

Still waiting to have the new job confirmed ... no job = no shiny new car.

But current thinking is around the BMW 320d 2.0 Efficient Dynamics 4dr ... a bit above the stated price range but significantly cheaper on the company car tax and fuel economy.

Does anybody have any knowledge of what's good / not good on this car?

(by the way, wandered in to VW dealer on Manchester Rd to discover no new Passat on display and nobody with spare time to talk, so not particularly impressed with them!)

Still waiting to have the new job confirmed ... no job = no shiny new car.

But current thinking is around the BMW 320d 2.0 Efficient Dynamics 4dr ... a bit above the stated price range but significantly cheaper on the company car tax and fuel economy.

Does anybody have any knowledge of what's good / not good on this car?

(by the way, wandered in to VW dealer on Manchester Rd to discover no new Passat on display and nobody with spare time to talk, so not particularly impressed with them!)

Other than the headroom in the back, you're getting yourself a very nice all round motor. Not sure this model has climate control though?

Oh, and watch the steering when it's wet!

Right.

Going to check out VW dealer this weekend, Audi next weekend and Beamers the one after.

Still can't decide!

In all honesty mate, the fact you can't decide and don't know what you want probably means that it wont much matter which you plump for. They're all decent cars to a seemingly unenthusiastic motorist.

I spent about an hour considering a Porshe Cayman on Saturday morning. I could stretch to 2006 model for a few months until winter, honest. :crackpot:

• 2 weeks later...

Just discovered a sneaky little thing in company car tax legislation.

If your firm allows you to have a car with a list value of, say, £20k and also allows you to contribute an amount out of salary to get a better car, you only pay tax on the £20k value. Which is fair.

If, however, your own contribution exceeds £5k (e.g. £125 a month for 4 years is £6k) you then have to pay tax on the excess. In other words, I earn the money, pay tax on it, buy a slightly better company car with it and have to pay tax on that same money again!

As a result I am choosing to have a slightly lesser BMW with slightly higher Co2 outputs, to reduce my tax bill. Not quite sure that's what the idiot that drafted the legislation inteded, but my pocket is more important to me and paying two lots of tax on the same chunk of earnings is morally evil!

So unless I have another change of heart between now and 26th July (when I can fill the forms in!) it will be the BMW 316d 2.0 ES 4dr - slightly less oomph than the 320 Efficient Dynamics thing, but around £50 a month more in my pocket after reducing tax bill and the deduction from my paypacket.

In all honesty mate, the fact you can't decide and don't know what you want probably means that it wont much matter which you plump for. They're all decent cars to a seemingly unenthusiastic motorist.

You're probably right. I think I've just spent 20ish years buying good, solid, reliable, boring family cars (or smaller)... because I either didn't earn enough or chose to do silly things like take the family on all-inclusive holdiays. It's nice to be able to select something a little bit more luxurious.

I spent about an hour considering a Porshe Cayman on Saturday morning. I could stretch to 2006 model for a few months until winter, honest. :crackpot:

Well I would, but it's not on the list mate!

Edited by opinions4u