Suggestions for Choosing a Company Car

It has to meet the following:

Price range: £20k-£25k

Manufacturer (as determined by employer): BMW, Honda, Audi, Mercedes, Renault, Toyota, Vauxhall, Volkswagen

CO2 emissions < 160 (would prefer diesel, but not vital).

A mix of practical (family of 4 to cater for, so rear comfort and decent boot space) and, if possible, a little bit sexy to support my rugged good looks *cough*.

Wide open to suggestions here!

Cheers.

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The trouble with BMW, Audi and Merc is that you'll get very little car for that money.

Do you want a poverty spec 3 series when you could have a near top of the range Insignia?

I'd have a look at the Mazda6 2.2d Sport hatchback. It's been around a while now, but it's big, practical, decently quick (180bhp diesel) and looks pretty cool in the right colours.

The trouble with BMW, Audi and Merc is that you'll get very little car for that money.

Do you want a poverty spec 3 series when you could have a near top of the range Insignia?

Mrs o4u is keen on Audi, but looking at spec between VW and Audi does confirm your point.

I'd have a look at the Mazda6 2.2d Sport hatchback. It's been around a while now, but it's big, practical, decently quick (180bhp diesel) and looks pretty cool in the right colours.

Not on the list, unfortunately. And the cash alternative is feck all after tax, national insurance and paying for my own insurance.

Not on the list, unfortunately. And the cash alternative is feck all after tax, national insurance and paying for my own insurance.

Shame.

The Honda Accord is a very nice car, but on the expensive side.

I think the only Audi I'd look at in budget would be an A3 sportback. The A4 is waaaaaaaay too expensive.

Toyotas are worthy but, er, boring.

VW Passat is soon(ish) to be replaced. and the VW Golf is ridiculously expensive.

It all kinda points to an Insignia IMO. Very good car - don't be put off by the mass market badge.

Edit - yes, I forgot to mention Renault. They're rubbish.

Edited by garcon

For that amount of money you should be able to bag a Golf GT TDI. All bases would be covered with that one. :wink:

You might be surprised.

Spec up a new Mk 6 Golf GTD to reasonable standard and you're looking at well over 30 grand.

Vauxhall Insignia- pah! My uncle who used to test cars for GM (who own Vauxhall amongst other things) and who gets a deal that's almost stealing on any car in the GM group drives a Saab for a reason- he always used to have Vauxhall. Vauxhall's whilst not as unreliable as they used to be ain't that good. Having said that the fastest car you can get with those manufacturers could be the astra VXR.

I'd be looking at the best Golf you can get for that money- simply because its going to be better than the best Audi you can get for that money (despite being almost identical cars) as Audis are more expensive than VW. The BMWs and Mercs you can get for that money ain't going to be all that good, the Toyotas and Hondas you can get for that money are going to be boring and the Renault whilst always being a car make that looks good and drives well, but its French so it will fall to pieces.

Having had a look the Golf GTD isn't that expensive- but it depends on what extras you want.

What model Saab does your Uncle drive? I used to like Saabs, but was bitterly disappointed with the dealers and the quality of their cars once GM's influence had taken root.

The 9-5 funamentally isn't a bad car, but now suffers from being prehistoric in car terms - despite the new Dame Edna nose, under the skin it is still the Saab 9000 of over 15 years ago, only with poorer quality trim.

The 9-3 saloon is a pleasant enough looking car, but I was instantly put off having looked closer at one - it's full of poor quality GM parts bin switchgear, the seats are dreadful, and underneath it's basically a Vectra - which isn't bad as such, but doesn't exactly make it an inspiring drive.

The Insignia is better than any new/recent Saab in every way - driveability, equipment, build quality...

As for the Golf GTD, it suffers in much the same way as many of the German options - standard spec is pretty spartan, but the used market demands leather, sat nav, bluetooth and a host of other options. Add those and you're looking at 30k.

That said, I'm told by people I trust that the Mk6 Golf is a very, very good car - market leading build/interior quality, making it a significant step forward from the rattly and rather disappointing Mk5.

What model Saab does your Uncle drive? I used to like Saabs, but was bitterly disappointed with the dealers and the quality of their cars once GM's influence had taken root.

The 9-5 funamentally isn't a bad car, but now suffers from being prehistoric in car terms - despite the new Dame Edna nose, under the skin it is still the Saab 9000 of over 15 years ago, only with poorer quality trim.

The 9-3 saloon is a pleasant enough looking car, but I was instantly put off having looked closer at one - it's full of poor quality GM parts bin switchgear, the seats are dreadful, and underneath it's basically a Vectra - which isn't bad as such, but doesn't exactly make it an inspiring drive.

The Insignia is better than any new/recent Saab in every way - driveability, equipment, build quality...

As for the Golf GTD, it suffers in much the same way as many of the German options - standard spec is pretty spartan, but the used market demands leather, sat nav, bluetooth and a host of other options. Add those and you're looking at 30k.

That said, I'm told by people I trust that the Mk6 Golf is a very, very good car - market leading build/interior quality, making it a significant step forward from the rattly and rather disappointing Mk5.

I must have got a Wednesday one then, lol.

I must have got a Wednesday one then, lol.

:grin:

It's all relative. The Mk5 is still decent, but I've heard soooo many stories of persistant untraceable rattles and such.

And, apparently, the Mk6 is a big change.

Any Mk5 is probably like a Rolls Royce compared to my Impreza... :unsure::lol:

It's all relative. The Mk5 is still decent, but I've heard soooo many stories of persistant untraceable rattles and such.

Do you remember the Golf advert from a few years ago? The one where they have a sqeak and it turns out to be the womans ear-ring. Lol

I had a mk1 campaign with the Pirelli 'p' slots. The mk5 is a massive advance (obviously), but I'd have it back yesterday. In fact I am toying with getting one anyway.

Do you remember the Golf advert from a few years ago? The one where they have a sqeak and it turns out to be the womans ear-ring. Lol

:lol:

Yep. Funny how all those "if only everything in life was as reliable as a Volkswagen" adverts seemed to feature women... :grin::unsure: