Suggestions for Choosing a Company Car

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Its a 9-5 I think. I don't know why my Uncle went for the Saab but he could have just as easily had the Insignia but he went for the Saab- I'm not going to get another vauxhall once I can afford to upgrade my Corsa. I know all about the problems with add-ons in German cars- my mum's mk5 Golf GTi ended up costing almost £30k and list price started at around £19k but they took ages and didn't get the specs quite right after a long time waiting so someone probably ended up with a steal (my Mum got to drive the one they got wrong until they made the right one).

I would advise the OP (in case he's not aware) to shop around as although he might not be able to get that good a deal- as its a company car- you may find some bargains especially if he can wait until just before the plates change (1/9/10 I believe) or if not then the end of a month. I got a great deal that way on my Corsa as I got a car worth a grand more than what was paid for it and I got free insurance (which when your a 20 year old lad who's just lost his no claims saved £2000).

Its a 9-5 I think. I don't know why my Uncle went for the Saab but he could have just as easily had the Insignia but he went for the Saab- I'm not going to get another vauxhall once I can afford to upgrade my Corsa. I know all about the problems with add-ons in German cars- my mum's mk5 Golf GTi ended up costing almost £30k and list price started at around £19k but they took ages and didn't get the specs quite right after a long time waiting so someone probably ended up with a steal (my Mum got to drive the one they got wrong until they made the right one).

I would advise the OP (in case he's not aware) to shop around as although he might not be able to get that good a deal- as its a company car- you may find some bargains especially if he can wait until just before the plates change (1/9/10 I believe) or if not then the end of a month. I got a great deal that way on my Corsa as I got a car worth a grand more than what was paid for it and I got free insurance (which when your a 20 year old lad who's just lost his no claims saved £2000).

I got to road test the 95 sports wagon at the launch. I really did enjoy the drive in that.

I used to deliver high end courtesy cars part time so i drove quite a lot of nice new motors. Audi A4 is superb and even though i own a bmw, the audi is far superior in spec. If u want thrills, go for a Mini Cooper S, if yu need big and comfy, VW Tiguan is quite a nice surprise.

If you can squeeze a promotion out of the boss, A8 3.0Tdi s-line is immense......

I'd need to feckin own the company for that

EDIT: Just checked .... for £800 a month personal contribution I can have one. Unfortunately Mrs o4u thinks we should pay the mortgage instead.

Bloody women!

Edited by opinions4u

Okay, things have moved on and the choice available has narrowed substantially - partly through changes to the scheme and partly through taking a slightly more cautious approach to the amount I contribute.

OUT: Mercedes (too many people moaning about their newer cars), Toyota and Honda (MPG is poor on all models), Renault (French).

LEAVING (must be a diesel with a CO2 output < 160 and a list price under £25k):

Vauxhall - Astra only (Insigna no longer available on scheme)

Audi - A3 including cabriolet

BMW - 1 series or 316d 2.0 ES 4dr

Volkswagen - Golf, Passat, Jetta.

At the moment I'm split between A3 cabriolet or Passat with a few add-ons, but I'm easily swayed!

Okay, things have moved on and the choice available has narrowed substantially - partly through changes to the scheme and partly through taking a slightly more cautious approach to the amount I contribute.

OUT: Mercedes (too many people moaning about their newer cars), Toyota and Honda (MPG is poor on all models), Renault (French).

At the moment I'm split between A3 cabriolet or Passat with a few add-ons, but I'm easily swayed!

I know almost nothing about cars (I drive a 52 plate Renault Megane if you doubt that lack of knowledge!) but I did go for a tonk about in a BMW 1 series the other week and it was a lovely car.

The 316d is incredibly frugal, but slower than Sean Gregan after double suet pudding. And in ES spec seats and indicators are extra... :wink:

1 series is indeed a great little car, but the emphasis is on the little, especially in terms of boot space.

Purely a personal thing but I think the A3 cabriolet looks like a 1990 Fiat Punto cabriolet.

I'm liking the new Astra - pretty big for its class, and the extra 'buzz' of having a brand new, just released car.

Passat might seem a bit of a boring choice, but it's a very capable car - I know a few who have/had one and they all rate it highly.

Based on that it would have to be the Passat 2.0 TDI 170PS CR for me £22,500 for the 6 speed manual leaving a few pounds for some extra toys, eventhough their new shape is due out in 6 months...The BMW's are very standard...as would be the A3 cab...

The 316d is incredibly frugal, but slower than Sean Gregan after double suet pudding. And in ES spec seats and indicators are extra... :wink:

1 series is indeed a great little car, but the emphasis is on the little, especially in terms of boot space.

Purely a personal thing but I think the A3 cabriolet looks like a 1990 Fiat Punto cabriolet.

I'm liking the new Astra - pretty big for its class, and the extra 'buzz' of having a brand new, just released car.

Passat might seem a bit of a boring choice, but it's a very capable car - I know a few who have/had one and they all rate it highly.

To be fair, there were 4 fully grown adults in the 1 series with enough food and BBQ supplies to feed 14 people (well, we had leftovers so call it 20+) in the boot.

I was stunned by the amount of space given the size it appears to be from the outside. And it's got a little rocket under it too.

But, as I confess, my knowledge of cars is limited.

O4U - can you not just make a shortlist and go take them all for a testdrive over a weeekend?

That's quite impressive Ackey. Must admit I've not had the chance to check a 1 series out too closely myself, but I know people who've looked at them and had to drop them from their list because they can't fit a pram and baby stuff in the boot.

As an occasional 4 seater plus a weekend's luggage it'd be fine.

If it's big enough I'd go for the 120d if you can - still frugal and a little rocketship. :)

Mrs BJ (god there's any oxymoron if ever there was one!), had a 118d msport as a company car. Quick, great seats (you could pump the sides up so they grabbed your hips), but the sports suspension was just too much. Felt like the princess and the pea when driving over gravel. I think I'd go with the Audi cab....

:lol:

How is that Austin Allegro? Is it still holding together?

:grin:

For now, mate. For now.

I'm actually clubbing together a much cash as possible to get either a nearly new Ford Focus 1.8 Zetec S or a VW Golf 1.4 TSI Match.

For now, mate. For now.

I'm actually clubbing together a much cash as possible to get either a nearly new Ford Focus 1.8 Zetec S or a VW Golf 1.4 TSI Match.

Puts my Vauxhall Victor to shame...

:disappointed:

I can't wait to get my hands on another VW Golf. By far the best car I've ever had, albeit only a TDI - but great car. I had a 306 Turbo Diesel at one time too, I can remember me doing the Basil Fawlty/Austin Maxi bit in Sheffield once. Wretched thing.

Puts my Vauxhall Victor to shame...

:disappointed:

I can't wait to get my hands on another VW Golf. By far the best car I've ever had, albeit only a TDI - but great car. I had a 306 Turbo Diesel at one time too, I can remember me doing the Basil Fawlty/Austin Maxi bit in Sheffield once. Wretched thing.

I can empathise, as you well know.

I've never driven a VW. Did drive a brand spanking BMW 323 SE for a while when I was 18 though. Wasn't mine like but I put a few miles on it.

For now, mate. For now.

I'll be selling a 3 year old Focus Sport 1.8 for around £6k in around 3 months!