New players: Sooner or Later?

On the 9th June, the official announcement quoted Paul Dickov:

Dickov added that he accepts money is tight and he will have to beg, steal or borrow players, though he added that he will first be looking at the existing players.

He said: "First of all I have to look at the players here. And regardless of what has happened in the past when the players come back on June 28th they are all going to have a clean slate and chance to impress.

"And before I start bringing in players, I want to give everybody here a chance."

Dickov wants to give everybody a chance

And yet in today's Chron Alan Hardy is quoted as saying:

Chief executive Alan Hardy said: “Since coming to the club Paul has talked about various players.

“He is in the process of assessing action from last season’s matches so he can familiarise himself with the squad as quickly as possible.

“We gave him all the DVDs we had and he took them home to study.

“Paul has started identifying positions he feels are in need of strengthening.”

Now don;t get me wrong I am not trying to cause trouble, but there are mixed messages to the fans and players.

For what it is worth, I would expect PD to be trying to bring players in, we clearly struggled and needs strngthening in obvious areas from last season and where players have left.

So the announcment should not have had that quote in. No need for it.

Every managers brings in players they want to, it's one of the few jobs in which you can.

Edited by singe

shouldn't you get the OP to change his thread title to "New Players: Sooner or Later? (apart from Jonathan Macken as there's already a thread about him)???

Good point.

And thanks oops sorry Mark

Could we change it to New Players: Sooner or Later? (apart from Jonathan Macken as there's already a thread about him) and any other player Royle army has mentioned and Royle Army you are barred from this thread

please!

Edited by singe

Dickov added that he accepts money is tight and he will have to beg, steal or borrow players, though he added that he will first be looking at the existing players.

He said: "First of all I have to look at the players here. And regardless of what has happened in the past when the players come back on June 28th they are all going to have a clean slate and chance to impress.

"And before I start bringing in players, I want to give everybody here a chance."

Chief executive Alan Hardy said: “Since coming to the club Paul has talked about various players.

“He is in the process of assessing action from last season’s matches so he can familiarise himself with the squad as quickly as possible.

“We gave him all the DVDs we had and he took them home to study. “Paul has started identifying positions he feels are in need of strengthening.”

Now don;t get me wrong I am not trying to cause trouble, but there are mixed messages to the fans and players.

For what it is worth, I would expect PD to be trying to bring players in, we clearly struggled and needs strngthening in obvious areas from last season and where players have left.

Every managers brings in players they want to, it's one of the few jobs in which you can.

That will be akin to counting sheep, he should be getting plenty of sleep and be suitably refreshed for the new season. <_<

“We gave him all the DVDs we had and he took them home to study.

“Paul has started identifying positions he feels are in need of strengthening.”

to be honest,the majority of managers say pretty much the same standard things...think dp said exactly the same took home dvd's etc and made his mind up.

if dickovs contacts are as good as made out,then i would imagine he has already been trying to get 2 or 3 players sorted out whilst they are on holidays,and before pre season training starts...

i doubt we will see anything like the comings and goings of past seasons...we havent got a pot to piss in anymore thanks to previous managers wasting money on journeymen has beens and losing the fans.

i think we will see the majority of the current squad with 3 possibly 4 new additions...once season starts if people are no good then they will be moved out on loans and money freed up for more....dont forget the owners have always said there will be money available for the right signing...i hope dickov utilises this to the good.