Kelly Signs For Latics

You see, that’s the point. Other sides in our division, and the one above & below, raid the non-leagues; both in England & Ireland to some good effect. We haven’t managed to do that to any decent effect since Andrews, Hall & Cooksey under Bob Dowie’s scouting.

Austin at Swindon and Green at Dagenham (to name just 2) showed last season that the step-up can be done; and that the transition can be seamless.

I base this on the 45 minutes I saw him play; which I know isn’t a lot to judge on (at all) BUT; Dean Kelly looked like a ‘grafter striker’ type – someone who runs themselves into the ground working from the front. His finish for the goal was very tidy; he didn’t panic & showed a decent level of composure. As Pukka said too; he didn’t panic in possession either and looked comfortable enough holding it up too.

The deal offered is a win, win – just as per the one for Jarrett. 6 months is just right to assess where we are as a club & where they are as players. If they have impressed during the 6 months; then if finances allow; I’m sure a longer deal can be sorted out. If it hasn’t worked out (for whatever reasons) then it was only 6 months of wages; not a 2 or 3 year deal that we have been saddled with in the past; whereby it needs paying up.

Striker wise; with his addition, we’ve now got:

• Pawel Abbott

• Warren Feeney

• Tom Eaves

• Ryan Brooke

• Lewis Allessandra

• Paul Dickov

• Dean Kelly

Whilst that’s strong in numbers; it not in quality & experience – and even though we have 7 strikers on the books (plus Smalley making it 8 if he’s pushed up there at some point); I’d still say we would benefit from bring in a striker whose around 25 years of age, with 75+ league games under their belt, as 4 of the 7 are essentially untried kids who lack experience.

It’ll also be interesting to see if any of the above are moved on; either on a transfer or on loan………..

Its an excellent point re the untried kids and a enother experienced stiker I agree, and withAbbott running out of steam atfter 10 mins, Feeney injured and Dickov 37, there really is not much depth.

But the non league thing is a myth, for every 1 you read about , 250 do not make it, bt like a gambler, you don't get to hear about the losses.

This is the fella who scored against Burnley and then went on trial at Huddersfield. Good signing for me, look sharp against Burnley and fits the Dickov type of player i.e. agression, closiing doen from the front etc.

The question now is; Pav to go? Eaves to go? or both?

Yes he is.....went AWOL for the Falkirk game as alledgedly had a trial for Huddersfield.

Diego your were spot on with his name....lol

Aww Mr Abbott my eye candy.... :disappointed: , I think your time is up as it does not seem you are in the bigger picc with PD....

Didn't Pete Thompson bang in about 50 goals in the Irish league, then went to Stockport and scored about 2?

That was the Northern Ireland league, but still he scored 152 goals in 234 games and came here and flopped. The guy we've signed isn't even a professional from Ireland. :blink:

I'm sure he will be a perfect replacement for Abbott, or most of the half-wits on here will think so. :grin:

The club should definately start selling Guiness now. Getting a very (united) Irish feeling to us.

f the RA

Long live NI, long live Eire to be sure, to be sure, to be sure.

Red hand imprint for the Northen Irish and Clover for the Irish Irish.

I've heard that Kelly will have "token" on the back of his shirt :curtains: