Ashton 1 Yuffs 1

Not a bad match, nothing exciting.. lots of efforts from the Youths.. that young yuff Gregan played for 2/3 and still needs a good month or more (by my book) before he is anywhere close to a first team match. Too fat and too slow just now.

No real stars on view. Lots of effort all round.

Not a bad match, nothing exciting.. lots of efforts from the Youths.. that young yuff Gregan played for 2/3 and still needs a good month or more (by my book) before he is anywhere close to a first team match. Too fat and too slow just now.

No real stars on view. Lots of effort all round.

Thought we were lucky to get the draw, we equalised last minute or so.

The worry for me is how does someone of Gregan's age and physicality (IE a bloody big bugger!) find that fitness again?

It's a real concern as it'd take an almighty misunderstanding of the game not to see Sean as the key to our side last year.

Most of the youth were first year scholars. 16 year old's.

First half you could tell the difference in age, strength and ability. Loads of effort from the youths. Sloppy goal to concede. Terry Smith who used to be on Latics books was in net for Ashton.

Gutted for Kyle scoring but having it disallowed.

Gregan is weeks away from being anywhere near ready for first team football. He was well off the pace but typical Greegs clattered anyone who dared challenged him.

Both sides made numerous changes. Ashton brought on alot of young lads a bit through the 2nd half and it evened up a bit more which lead to Latics having numerous chances which resulted in the last minute equaliser. Like Kyle's dad (think he's on here as AlanGrovesPerm?) was telling me, they've been playing sides two divisions down from Ashton in pre season and probably the best side they'll face all season.

Edited by Rocky_Latic

Apologies if this has been covered elsewhere and for my ignorance - but since the announcement of Gregan playing for the youth team tonight, I've not been able to understand how?

Is there not an age limit for a youth team!!?

Anyway, sounds like it was a good result based on the recent quality of opposition in comparison. Here's hoping Sean is able to get the fitness he needs to be our inspirational on the pitch captain! Might require a few bench warming appearances me thinks! When do people think we'll see him start a league/cup game?

Apologies if this has been covered elsewhere and for my ignorance - but since the announcement of Gregan playing for the youth team tonight, I've not been able to understand how?

Is there not an age limit for a youth team!!?

It was a friendly.

Ashton United v Oldham. It just so happens that Ashton's team was made up of 1st team and reserves (they probably used about 18 players in total) against Oldham's first and 2nd year youth scholars plus Gregan. Probably about same number of players used from Latics youth.

Gregan was supposed to play 45 minutes tonight and 45 at Rhyl but he complained that if he did that with the travelling to and from Rhyl. That at his age he'd just end up stiff the rest of the week. Which is why he ended up playing an hour tonight instead.

When people have mentioned Abbott leaving, they've highlighted how Dickov will have us playing and how Abbott doesn't fit into it...I'd also suggest, this could end up being the case with Gregan...a high back line will do him no favours at all and leave us more suspectable to the ball over the top than an English defence in Bloemfontein! However, I thought it was interesting how on Saturday, we brought Lee on infront of Gregan and Carr to close the game out. That "Anchorman" midfielder (not seen that for a few years) position. I've a sneaky suspicion this may be the way forward for Gregan under Dickov...he's going to stuggle to get that fitness, he didn't have the pace when he was fit and he won't play all season either. If Jarrett continues as he is, Gregan won't get in above him. Going to be interesting to see how El Captino fairs this season.

Gutted for Kyle scoring but having it disallowed.

The ref admitted he got it wrong after the match aswell! the linesman thought the winger had touched it onto the striker but he didn't and the ref only realised after he had blown up!

When people have mentioned Abbott leaving, they've highlighted how Dickov will have us playing and how Abbott doesn't fit into it...I'd also suggest, this could end up being the case with Gregan..

Me and my dad had the same discussion on saturday.

When people have mentioned Abbott leaving, they've highlighted how Dickov will have us playing and how Abbott doesn't fit into it...I'd also suggest, this could end up being the case with Gregan...a high back line will do him no favours at all and leave us more suspectable to the ball over the top than an English defence in Bloemfontein! However, I thought it was interesting how on Saturday, we brought Lee on infront of Gregan and Carr to close the game out. That "Anchorman" midfielder (not seen that for a few years) position. I've a sneaky suspicion this may be the way forward for Gregan under Dickov...he's going to stuggle to get that fitness, he didn't have the pace when he was fit and he won't play all season either. If Jarrett continues as he is, Gregan won't get in above him. Going to be interesting to see how El Captino fairs this season.

I Was discussing this at the Bolton game with my mate; to almost the same end as you are here. In a team ‘packed full of young, hungry & physically fit’ players; using a high tempo / high press style – how does our aging captain fit into that mantra??

The sheer work-load that his body was put through last season; in the stellar effort of playing in every minute of every game; at his age & after his long career – it was surely always going to catch up with him this season wasn’t it?

With the injury that very nearly needed an Op (and would have ended his career if he had gone in for it) – and the loss of both latent & match fitness as a result; I can’t help but feeling that this season is going to a struggle for the big man.

I presume that Jarrett has been brought in; after impressing in this new role, as cover for the CB position. The reality as I see it is that he’ll be 1st choice with Reuben for the next 2 months at least while El Capitano tries to regain some form of match sharpness & fitness in the reserves……with new lad Rod McDonald as the match fit replacement on the 1st team bench until Greegs is ready.

After the monumental effort of last season; I have a feeling that this one just might be a struggle for him….

Pacy Latics left winger Connor Hughes took my eye, needs to be on the ball more though for the team to benefit from his skills, this kid could well be the next one on the first team conveyor belt.

Edited by BP1960