The one thing that sums up the difference this season

PD came in saying he wanted us to play a certain way. Basically high octane, ratting the opposition in their own half, forcing mistakes high up the pitch. Defending from the front literally.

Well the 3rd goal on Saturday certainly showed this is what is happening and for me defines the difference from last season where (1) its unlikely we would have been anywhere near their penalty area when 1-0, never mind 2-0 up (2) having lost the ball we would have dropped deep and formed 2 banks of 4 and (3) would probably have gone on to have lost the game as negativity won over creativity.

Watching it back on the highlights, Black, under pressure, plays the ball forward over the top to Tounkare, the County defender under pressure from Tounkare can only partially head clear as far as Kelly, who slips a pass inside to Stephens bombing on. At this point we have Kelly, Stephens, Tounkare and Jones in the box and Taylor trying to get in there (5 players in and around the box) Stephens, stretching cant reach the ball and County try to counter.

6 seconds later County have the ball on the half way line and Jones and Furman are within a yard of the County player in possession putting on pressure, looking to force the mistake. Within 2 more seconds Lee has nicked the ball when instead of falling back as he surely would have done last season, he steps forward and picks his moment to pinch possession. 9 seconds later the ball is in the back of the County net following a neat return cross from Tounkare.

We forced matters so much higher up the pitch got at the opposition and then punished them once they lost the ball

Long may it continue.

It's been the ideal start to the season but there's bugger all to "sum up" just yet.

I think after watching 9 games since PD arrived there is ample evidence to "sum up" the difference between last season and this seasons performances on the pitch.

Unless you can tell us different from your view in Falkirk Selkirk :wink:

Reason for edit. need to Read the dam place properly before typing in future

Edited by Harry Dowds Green Shirt

I think after watching 9 games since PD arrived there is ample evidence to "sum up" the difference between last season and this seasons performances on the pitch.

Unless you can tell us different from your view in Falkirk Selkirk Avenue, OldhamScotland ahem :wink:

Reason for edit. need to Read the dam place properly before typing in future

Corrected for ya

Edited by singe

The way we've been playing since pre-season is a perfect example of how football can be simple if you go about it in the right way.

I think the work ethic instilled by Dickov and Taggart has been fantastic and credit should also go to Paul Butler too, because without his input, we'd be fizzling out with 10 minutes to go in each half, not bombing forward from the right fullback position to score last minute cherry-toppers.

Tranmere was a game I expected to win, especially after listening to a very downbeat Les Parry in his pre-match interview. They were my tip for relegation and nothing has changed my mind about that. At Scunthorpe, I expected us to lose but to put up a good fight. We did that, but the performance was much better than I dared hope for. Without being disrespectful to Bembo-Leta and Kelly who worked their socks off, if Jonathan Forte had pulled on a Latics shirt that night, we'd be in the second round of the cup right now.

I was certain that we'd beat Notts County and was tempted after the Scunny game to suggest that we'd score those 3 elusive goals. A team tipped for big things in our division has had a rude League One awakening with defeats to both the fancied, and the not so fancied. And that's where I think our success may lie this year. We're Oldham, and we've festered in this division for the best part of 15 years. We have no money, a dilapidated ground and a rookie manager. The expectation of success lies solely with our own support, and even that is little more than a murmur these days.

It's early doors and I'm all too aware that injuries, suspensions and the sale of key players are likely to bite. If statistics have shown us anything, it is that the team leading the division after 2 games rarely lasts the pace. However, we're riding the crest of a ripple and long may that continue.

My prediction for Saturday? A score-draw and top spot for another week. I'll buy that for a dollar!

It's been the ideal start to the season but there's bugger all to "sum up" just yet.

You really are a bundle of joy so far this year Stevie! :lol:

Is it that sun depravation depression thingy that only happens in scotland?

... I get that you are saying it is only early days, but one things for sure..... that result, and those goals, had bugger all chance of happening last season.

You really are a bundle of joy so far this year Stevie! :lol:Is it that sun depravation depression thingy that only happens in scotland?

... I get that you are saying it is only early days, but one things for sure..... that result, and those goals, had bugger all chance of happening last season.

2 really good posts from Jonny & Harry and one suitably dour & grumpy one from Stevie in line with his recent trend!! :wink:

For me; plenty has been touched on already in this thread: for me I’ve seen 4 games of the Dickov revolution and in that time frame I’ve seen enough to be able to comment on the differences that are patently evident over last season (and the one before that under Shez / Big Joe too)

• We are essentially playing 20 / 30 yards further up the pitch for large passages of the game – the high press as I think it’s called?

• We are working from the front; not since Warne have I seen strikers graft as much – Kelly won a tackle at RB on sat when he came on; having tracked Harley all the way from the edge of the County box. Great to see.

• We are looking to play the ball on the deck – and in a much higher tempo fashion than previously; using 1 & 2 touch inter-linking moves (seen on the Furman goal; and numerous times with the link ups between Jones & lee along the right flank)

• The same players as last season (& the season before in one or two cases) are looking far more assured & composed on the ball. Reuben looks a different player with the ball at his feet this season; last season was a panicked hoof; this time its a measured pass; Furman couldn’t pass it to a team mate at times (many of them too) last season; this season; whilst they’re mostly simple balls; they’re to feet and the ‘right option’.

• We have width & full-backs who pass the half way line to join in. Last season; and under Shez too; we were often too narrow across the park. This time both Lewis & Jones have retained their discipline and stayed with chalk on their boots when needed; meaning we’ve stretched teams a heck of a lot more often. I haven’t seen full-backs join in & overlap so readily since Armstrong was here under Dowie. Even the likes of Bertrand & Danny Jones & Alan Sheehan’s forays forward we’re the exceptions rather than the rule.

• The fitness of the players looks to be better too – this is linked to the general increase in work-rate all over the pitch. They look to have ‘more in the tank’ and the pressure applied didn’t dramatically drop off as the game ticked on. Paul Butler looks to be a very shrewd appointment on the showings so far.

• Team-spirit – it’s somewhat of a cliché but the players look happy; the celebrations after goals and the final whistles have highlighted that IMO.

Now for the other side of the coin:

• We still look a brittle at the back – I know we’ve faced Showumni; but I worry that a big strike pairing will cause us problems as we are a pretty small backline

• Discussed on another thread; but I’m not a fan of the tactic of everyone back for corners 7 deep free-kicks; I think it invites more pressure onto us and we have no outlet to use if we win the ball.

• Even though we technically have a decent number of professional to call upon numbers wise; IMO I feel we will really struggle if we get an injury or suspension or 2. The players to come in simply aren’t of the sufficient quality and I think we may struggle to that end (Worthington into the CM? Lomax at FB? Hmmmm)

• The cupboard is bare; financially speaking so we’re told – so what we have now is what we will have I’d say. Being brutally honest; I’d still say we’re a striker and a right midfielder / winger short of being ‘about there’ players wise.

All in all though; I see far more to be positive about than to worried or moan about. I said before the Tranmere game that I thought we had shown enough to suggest that we’d be on for a more entertaining & improved season. I think the talk of play-off’s is somewhat premature – but i think we’ll have enough about us to realistically look to get to 10th – 15th bracket and be more than comfortable with that.

Really enjoyed the game on sat; long may that continue!

:chubb:

• Reuben looks a different player with the ball at his feet this season; last season was a panicked hoof; this time its a measured pass;

Sorry, but that's taking it a bit far!! It'll take more than a pre-season with Dickov to find anything measured in Reuben's long 'passing'.

For everything else, some good points on both sides of the coin, but I'll give it another 10 games before analysing too much. Couldn't ask for a better start though.

Edited by lookers87

2 really good posts from Jonny & Harry and one suitably dour & grumpy one from Stevie in line with his recent trend!! :wink:

For me; plenty has been touched on already in this thread: for me I’ve seen 4 games of the Dickov revolution and in that time frame I’ve seen enough to be able to comment on the differences that are patently evident over last season (and the one before that under Shez / Big Joe too)

• We are essentially playing 20 / 30 yards further up the pitch for large passages of the game – the high press as I think it’s called?

• We are working from the front; not since Warne have I seen strikers graft as much – Kelly won a tackle at RB on sat when he came on; having tracked Harley all the way from the edge of the County box. Great to see.

• We are looking to play the ball on the deck – and in a much higher tempo fashion than previously; using 1 & 2 touch inter-linking moves (seen on the Furman goal; and numerous times with the link ups between Jones & lee along the right flank)

• The same players as last season (& the season before in one or two cases) are looking far more assured & composed on the ball. Reuben looks a different player with the ball at his feet this season; last season was a panicked hoof; this time its a measured pass; Furman couldn’t pass it to a team mate at times (many of them too) last season; this season; whilst they’re mostly simple balls; they’re to feet and the ‘right option’.

• We have width & full-backs who pass the half way line to join in. Last season; and under Shez too; we were often too narrow across the park. This time both Lewis & Jones have retained their discipline and stayed with chalk on their boots when needed; meaning we’ve stretched teams a heck of a lot more often. I haven’t seen full-backs join in & overlap so readily since Armstrong was here under Dowie. Even the likes of Bertrand & Danny Jones & Alan Sheehan’s forays forward we’re the exceptions rather than the rule.

• The fitness of the players looks to be better too – this is linked to the general increase in work-rate all over the pitch. They look to have ‘more in the tank’ and the pressure applied didn’t dramatically drop off as the game ticked on. Paul Butler looks to be a very shrewd appointment on the showings so far.

• Team-spirit – it’s somewhat of a cliché but the players look happy; the celebrations after goals and the final whistles have highlighted that IMO.

Now for the other side of the coin:

• We still look a brittle at the back – I know we’ve faced Showumni; but I worry that a big strike pairing will cause us problems as we are a pretty small backline

• Discussed on another thread; but I’m not a fan of the tactic of everyone back for corners 7 deep free-kicks; I think it invites more pressure onto us and we have no outlet to use if we win the ball.

• Even though we technically have a decent number of professional to call upon numbers wise; IMO I feel we will really struggle if we get an injury or suspension or 2. The players to come in simply aren’t of the sufficient quality and I think we may struggle to that end (Worthington into the CM? Lomax at FB? Hmmmm)

• The cupboard is bare; financially speaking so we’re told – so what we have now is what we will have I’d say. Being brutally honest; I’d still say we’re a striker and a right midfielder / winger short of being ‘about there’ players wise.

All in all though; I see far more to be positive about than to worried or moan about. I said before the Tranmere game that I thought we had shown enough to suggest that we’d be on for a more entertaining & improved season. I think the talk of play-off’s is somewhat premature – but i think we’ll have enough about us to realistically look to get to 10th – 15th bracket and be more than comfortable with that.

Really enjoyed the game on sat; long may that continue!

:chubb:

after last season its like a breath of fresh air to see players playing with a bit of pride and passion.the togetherness is there to see from the huddle at the start down to the hugs handshakes and high fives to each other at the end.

they want to play football in the right manner and they seemed to really enjoy getting it down and playing neat high tempo passing football,clearly evident from our first goal on saturday.

the fans could see the effort on saturday and responded with near constant singing...even when the odd pass did go astray there wasnt the usual slagging or despondance there would have been last season...

far far too early to predict where we could end up,but we just need to keep this momentum going for as long as possible,take advantage of it and get early points on the board...im sure at some point we will play badly and have off days,the odd bad defeat here and there,but im sure it wont be anywhere near as bleak as it was last season.

if were still around the top 8 come january then we will have done extremely well.

Sorry, but that's taking it a bit far!! It'll take more than a pre-season with Dickov to find anything measured in Reuben's long 'passing'.

For everything else, some good points on both sides of the coin, but I'll give it another 10 games before analysing too much. Couldn't ask for a better start though.

I know it’s still early doors; and like you say we’ll know a heck of lot more about the side & tactics come say; the Sheff Weds game at the end of Sept BUT:

Oh I don’t know though; Reuben wise; he’s barely hoofing it / just lumping it; as per the last few seasons, he’s a lot more controlled with the ball at his feet from the showings so far. I’m not saying he’s turned into Lucio overnight or anything :grin: ; but Vs County I can only recall 1 lump up the field when he had the ball at his feet (and he had to do that as Bishop (IIRC) was closing him down quickly). He was either givning it quickly to Jarrett or was slipping a simple ball into either full-back or Stephens. Much improved from the long punt upfield that was his stock ball all last season.

You really are a bundle of joy so far this year Stevie! :lol:

Is it that sun depravation depression thingy that only happens in scotland?

I said it was an ideal start, didn't I?! Inevitably though, people are getting a bit carried away.