Latics 0-0 Yeovil Town

The short highlights the football league show shown made it look like it was all us all game! Bet the Yeovil fans that waited up to watch that were abit piss off :lol:

Didn't manage to stay awake long enough to see our highlights and i can't watch it on the iPlayer cos i can't stream videos at the moment, did they show both penalty claims? Did they look like penalties on the replay?

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This thread shows what tools follow us...

"we would've lost that sort of game under Penney..."

Go look up last seasons results! Idiots...

3rd season in a row we've not scored at home vs Yeovil. Same style of team to find out our weakness...and for the record, the most long ball I've seen in a Latics game for years and years. More so than even Ronnie produced...I'm quite content with a point tonight considering one keeper ended the game with clean gloves and one didnt...

About time some of our lot stopped comparing to last season coz if today becomes the norm...which is more likely than the 3 games before it...you're going to look very very stupid and going to be calling for the next managers head quicker than you can say Galacdickovs!!!

Go look up last seasons results! Idiots...

Why are you angry at 1.13 am in the morning?.

Didn't manage to stay awake long enough to see our highlights and i can't watch it on the iPlayer cos i can't stream videos at the moment, did they show both penalty claims? Did they look like penalties on the replay?

Only showed the taylor shot and one other for us, hardly worth staying up for.

Just occasionally you step over the line in to arrogance.

They did to us exactly what we did to Tranmere and Notts County (and, from what I've heard, Charlton).

Their centre backs and central midfielders out fought/thought our strikers and central midfielders. Yeovil deserved to win.

A lesson for the players and Dickov to learn. I still think we'll finish top half because the will to get forwards was still there. The will to shoot from distance was still there. While there was a lot of long ball, the occasions we kept it on the floor and passed it around we looked very good. There just wasn't enough of it.

So sorry for being a "tool" and an "idiot" for actually enjoying the football so far this season. Even parts of yesterday's game.

Those on target had more venom yesterday.

1) All fair comments...but why wasn't this said 12mths ago when Yeovil did the same thing in early season? Inconsistencies in fairness...

2) Those shots had more venom??? Please!...I'll leave it there as that comment is clearly "fishing"

I didn't realise there was a time when people can and can't be angry...can I be angry at 12.46pm then....?

i dont see why not...im angry most of the time...unless im drinking beer,hahahah

i also dislike these last season we would of laost that game,because you just cant say it...you cant compare last seasons team with this seasons because so many have moved on,been left out and new players brought in...

yes i am of the opinion that yeovil did do homework on next team to play,like any other decent manager up and down the leagues will do..if they had scouts out to watch us against our opposition so far they will have seen we got it down and played neat one touch passing at a high tempo....so they packed the midfield to stifle us playing...thats called tactics.

unfortunately for us we didnt have the personell on the bench to be able to change to a different system,by the time we did get it down and play it a bit it was too late,players running out of steam etc...could have been very different if we got the penalty shout late on....but you can also say the same about yeovils,theres was nailed on.

Nah...the football in the first 3 games has been alright. Not "good"...at Tranmere, it was disjointed but enough to beat a poor side. Nothing especially good about it. Notts County, 1st half we were lucky to be going in level at half time. Yeah, 2nd half we played some cracking stuff. I can't comment for Charlton as I didnt make it there. Sounded like we played some good stuff thought.

Point is...which you've obviously missed...why was today classed as Yeovil doing their homework, but that wasn't so last season...it was just that we were a :censored: Penney team? It's one rule for one...one for another. Same old Latics fans...

Erm; didnt we go in at the break 1 nil up; after controlling the game and producing a superb team goal rounded off with a brilliant Furman drive into the top corner? Or was I at a different game.

You really do come across on here as a very condescending know-it-all sort; you seem to hold your own opinion in such high regard; and constantly belittle those who see things differently to you. The most long balls in recent times yesterday; really? Really? hmmmm..........

As this was my first game of the season i thought i should share some thoughts.

Why do Latics fans constantly sing about other teams who have no relevence to us whatsoever?

Man U, Man Citeh, Leeds??? All of which are not in our league and wont be for some time after that yesterday.

No striker, no width one real chance in the game that i can remember and that was in the first few minutes.

Ah well, mid table obscurity again.

Erm; didnt we go in at the break 1 nil up; after controlling the game and producing a superb team goal rounded off with a brilliant Furman drive into the top corner? Or was I at a different game.

You really do come across on here as a very condescending know-it-all sort; you seem to hold your own opinion in such high regard; and constantly belittle those who see things differently to you. The most long balls in recent times yesterday; really? Really? hmmmm..........

I'll re-phrase that then...we were lucky not to be going in losing at HT vs Notts County then (rather than level as I stand corrected over Furmans goal in the 1st half)...had their chances in the 1st 20 minutes gone in, it'd been a different game...anyhow, they didn't, we took ours and after getting away with it in the 1st half we produced some excellent stuff in the 2nd.

As for what I come across like, tell someone who cares. I care more about the club than hurting a few feelings on a messageboard!

And regarding the long balling....yes...REALLY!

Edited by boundaryblue80

The reason I said under Penney we'd have lost that on Saturday wasn't because Penney was that inferior but it was the way the ball seemed to roll for us. Brill made two howlers yesterday, one of which he recovered with a good save, the other wasn't punished as it should have been, under Penney one of them would have gone in, it was the way it seemed to crumble. Not to mention the penalty they should have had.

Yes, Yeovil did their homework but so what any team that doesn't do their homework should get thrashed. We tried to play nice football but it only seemed to come off infrequently, then our plan B was even less effective, I don't think it was a co-incidence that Mvoto was marking their centre half at corners and not Tounkare. The good teams at whatever level have more up their sleeves if things aren't going their way than we did yesterday. We haven't conceeded a lot of goals this season but we didn't exactly conceed many last season either and considering the limited squad changes I think a lot of our defensive success is based on Penney's ground work.

The reason I said under Penney we'd have lost that on Saturday wasn't because Penney was that inferior but it was the way the ball seemed to roll for us. Brill made two howlers yesterday, one of which he recovered with a good save, the other wasn't punished as it should have been, under Penney one of them would have gone in, it was the way it seemed to crumble. Not to mention the penalty they should have had.

Yes, Yeovil did their homework but so what any team that doesn't do their homework should get thrashed. We tried to play nice football but it only seemed to come off infrequently, then our plan B was even less effective, I don't think it was a co-incidence that Mvoto was marking their centre half at corners and not Tounkare. The good teams at whatever level have more up their sleeves if things aren't going their way than we did yesterday. We haven't conceeded a lot of goals this season but we didn't exactly conceed many last season either and considering the limited squad changes I think a lot of our defensive success is based on Penney's ground work.

Can I have the lottery numbers for next Saturday too please? Utter rubbish that I'm afraid. For 2 seasons in a row then, Yeovil did their homework and we were lucky not to lose then...I think that's more realistic than "we would've lost that last season"...

Can I have the lottery numbers for next Saturday too please? Utter rubbish that I'm afraid. For 2 seasons in a row then, Yeovil did their homework and we were lucky not to lose then...I think that's more realistic than "we would've lost that last season"...

To be fair, even the players or backroom staff have said we would have lost that game last season. I would say they're in a better position to comment...

To be fair, even the players or backroom staff have said we would have lost that game last season. I would say they're in a better position to comment...

The backroom staff who weren't even here then...let's not let facts get in the way eh...2009/10 season - Oldham 0 Yeovil 0...anything else is another example of :censored:e rhetoric our lot come out with (very clever that Dickov dropped it into his post match comments...tell them what the want to hear!)

I'd say we had more chance of winning that last season mainly as we had more efforts at goal...and I don't recall our keeper having to make the saves he did on Saturday...anyway...

The backroom staff who weren't even here then...let's not let facts get in the way eh...2009/10 season - Oldham 0 Yeovil 0...anything else is another example of :censored:e rhetoric our lot come out with (very clever that Dickov dropped it into his post match comments...tell them what the want to hear!)

I'd say we had more chance of winning that last season mainly as we had more efforts at goal...and I don't recall our keeper having to make the saves he did on Saturday...anyway...

I'm not sure if it was players or backroom staff. We've only lost 2 members of our backroom staff as well. We still have Dux, TP, physio etc etc. But let's not let facts get in the way eh?

I'm not sure if it was players or backroom staff. We've only lost 2 members of our backroom staff as well. We still have Dux, TP, physio etc etc. But let's not let facts get in the way eh?

So basically...the ones that count...

Chron last season...we would've lost it eh??? Dickov's said it, so it must be true...

http://oldham-chronicle.co.uk/

Off-key Latics firing blanks

Reporter: TONY BUGBY

Date online: 05/10/2009

Athletic 0, Yeovil 0

ATHLETIC’S home goalless draw against Yeovil was far removed from the ‘champagne’ football of four days earlier.

It appeared as though the magnum was corked as it was a decidedly flat performance on Saturday compared with what was sampled in midweek against MK Dons.

Manager Dave Penney made the analogy about it being impossible to play ‘champagne’ football every week.

The trouble was that Athletic raised expectations after their sparkling performance against MK Dons, which made Saturday’s display difficult to swallow.

Athletic were well below their best, though Yeovil are due some credit for a battling and workmanlike display which deserved some reward.

Despite this being a poor performance compared with others of late, Athletic still had enough chances to have won at a canter.

Keigan Parker, in particular, will be haunted by a couple he wasted, one being a contender for a miss-of-the-season award.

But there was a third clean sheet in the last four games as Athletic are defending well as a unit. And the only one conceded was an unfortunate own goal from keeper Dean Brill against MK Dons when the ball rebounded off a post and struck him on the back of the head as he lay on the ground.

Athletic’s midfield wasn’t at the races, though, allowing Yeovil time and space as Wales under-21 captain Shaun MacDonald, who is on a three-month loan from Swansea, ran the show in the middle.

The ginger-haired MacDonald was class, and by far the best player on the pitch, while former Athletic man J P Kalala provided much of the graft alongside him.

Pawel Abbott and Parker both put in hard-working shifts up front, with Parker only let down in front of goal by poor finishing.

It was hardly a surprise that Penney named an unchanged side from midweek with Joe Colbeck again on the bench.

There was little to warm the cockles of the heart in the dour opening on a bitterly cold afternoon.

Indeed, Yeovil could have taken the lead midway through the first half when Ryan Mason, completely free on the right side of the box, pulled his shot wide.

Parker should have broken the stalemate just after the half-hour mark he Parker raced on to a long ball down the field, outpaced former Athletic defender Terrell Forbes only to amazingly drag his shot wide with only keeper Alex McCarthy to beat.

Yeovil had the ball in the net only for Craig Davies, yet another ex-Athletic player on view, to have his effort ruled out for helping the ball over the line with his hand, for which he was booked.

Athletic finished the half strongly as Parker had a deflected cross spectacularly turned over the bar by McCarthy, who also saved well from Chris Taylor who lofted the rebound from his initial effort over the empty net.

Taylor, who has yet to score this season, could not believe his miss as he sank to his knees beating the ground in despair.

Kelvin Lomax, who was concussed, was replaced by Jon Worthington for the restart, with :censored: reverting to right-back, while Colbeck came on for Dean Furman and Ryan Brooke for Taylor as Penney used all three substitutes by the three-quarter mark.

They failed to ignite the performance and chances were again at a premium in the second period, though Parker had two decent openings which he fluffed when, on reflection, he would have been better passing.

Andy Welsh and Kalala also had strikes at goal which weren’t far off target as Yeovil gave as good as they got as the game petered out into a goalless draw.

It was a disappointment on the day although, in the overall scheme of things, there is no doubt Athletic would certainly have settled for 10 points from a possible 12 which has shot them from the lower to upper reaches of the table.

Edited by boundaryblue80