Latics 0-0 Yeovil Town

Apart from the first 15 mins or so we never got our passing going and resorted far too often to the long ball.

Yeovil stifled our supply and deserve credit for that.

Hard to judge latics' pen appeal as i was in the RRE but there's looked nailed on to me.

The attendance of just over 4000 surprised me once again as i thought it was bigger myself, but we've been down this path before.

All in all, probably our worst display of the season so far but not one to lose heart over.

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hard to judge latics' pen appeal as i was in the RRE but there's looked nailed on to me.

It certainly looked like a pen from where I was in the mainstand lower. What about the Yeovil one? That looked like a pen to me so it evens out in the end.

We only seem to play down the right. I feel the criticism of taylor is unfair.

Dean Brill looks good this season. Just needs to tame that wild side that we saw at the end.

I'd like to see dean kelly start. Looked nippy.

Whilst DJ is pacey, he didn't really look a threat. at all. and tounkare was poor today.

And I'd also like to suggest that the officials were some of the worst we've had in ages. Not biased, just incompetent.

Our's looked a penalty from the Chaddy.

As did their's, but that was at the other end of the pitch. You can also often tell from the fans' reactions just how convinced they were, and their lot didn't seem happy about it.

Perhaps if their's had been given then he'd have given our's too.

Pretty poor today but hardly end of the world. I thought Yeovil came for a draw and got it and we fell a bit into their game of hoofball. Really missed Jarrett today, the other lad looked ok defensively but didnt look comfortable on the ball. Bit annoyed Feeney started over DJ as well and he really didnt justify his place. I will start to worry if we hit 4-5 games like that but gonna chalk that off as just a bad day at the office.

Very poor prformance. Brill isn't a goalie and our Wonderful Centre forward from Sunderland is gash. Nothing up front. Nothing in midfield. Defence was OK. Dreary match.

sorry cant agree with this. Brills kicking was poor all game but he made 2 great saves near the end and did his best to command his area. Im not totally convinced with him but he was ok today.

Tonk was excellent today but got little service. he flicks and hold up play were very good and works dam damm hard

Defence ok but poor Mvoto looked dodgy at times and seemed to dwell on the ball for far too long. Ha a useful turn of pace tho

we wprked hard today created good chances but didnt finish them and 2nd half we got bogged down into a battle that we at times struggled with. Early days yet

Edited by bluehobbit

How can you say we missed Jarett, our centre half, when we kept a clean sheet?

our play over the last few games has started through jarrett at the back which lets stephens stay further forward, today dale kept dropping far to deep to collect the ball which closed down alot of options in my mind, meaning we bypassed midfield quite often and furman was ineffective, thats what we missed with jarrett not playing imo

How can you say we missed Jarett, our centre half, when we kept a clean sheet?

Because we plainly did. Mvoto didn't look anywhere near as composed. Didn't know what to do with it when he got it.

I'll be very glad to see him back on Tuesday.

EDIT: Jarrett, that is

Edited by Snookmeister

I don't see any real reason to be disappointed tbh, we have had 3 good games to start the season off and we have to be realistic and understand that this young team isn't going to play teams off the park every week.

Let's just put this off day behind us and move on to Bristol next week, if we can beat them it will hopefully take us into the Peteborough game with our confidence high.

Centre halfs are there to defend and head a ball, that is paramount. Mvoto did that today. Worrying if you see Jarrett as our playmaker .

To be fair, I thought the observation about how Jarrett's play allows Stephens space further up the pitch was fairly decent.

I had no problems with M'Voto today, other than a tendancy to drift to the right, and I do have concerns about Jarrett as a centre half. Two different players and the side seems to play differently as a result.

Other than the problem with Brill at the end, I thought Hazell had another very good game.

On the upside though, Stuart Hall was in the main stand today. Ledge.......

Indeed I was sat in front of him and he was obviously there for the Beeb the only thing he seemed to do was tell Gabby how the game was going and he thought they should have had the penalty. He did keep me up to date with the cricket scores though. He seemed to be the sort who doesn't do his own notes and had to keep asking the bloke from radio Manchester about stuff.

As for the teams display, since it was my first game I can't comment on the differences from other games. I would say though that yes Brill made one or two good saves but one of his better ones was because he was out of position for a corner having come and flapped at it. I liked Kieran Lee at RB he looked very good going forward and solid defensively. Mvoto didn't look very good but he was against the wrong sort of player for him, if he was playing against us I think he'd have Tounkare in his pocket. He's like Gregan physically (so unless we were up against two big units up front I wouldn't play them together). I liked Kelly when he came on- he had something about him with some nice little touches and turns and a nice bit of distribution. Jones looked good especially as I've a feeling he is more suited to a more central role.

Tounkare tried his flicks too much- they look masterful when they come off but if they don't, and his usually didn't you look a bit poor. Feeney I'm not so sure on but it was his first game back so lets see how he gets on. I thought Taylor did well actually, yes he's a winger who kept cutting in but a few times he was in a load of space and the midfield didn't play him in- the problem is with Jones on the other side we didn't have a lot of width.

This side whilst struggling to beat Yeovil (who are apparently an easy team- I can see Yeovil finishing quite high up) is obviously better than Penney's side (who IMHO would have lost today). Its still early days, give it 10 games to judge where we are.

Centre halfs are there to defend and head a ball, that is paramount. Mvoto did that today. Worrying if you see Jarrett as our playmaker .

No one is saying he is our playmaker but he keeps the ball more after winning it rather than clearing up field to oppisition. I thought Mvoto had a decent game but therewere too many hoofed balls that came to nothing. Its all well and good defending well but if we dont keep the ball how are we ever gonna score (see most of last season). I dont think missing Jarret was our only problem today but I think it would helped having him available today.

Its no suprise that our best two chances of the game came from when we passed the ball around on the floor rather than long balls to the forwards.

Well, that was my first game for 18 months after arriving back on home soil yesterday, so I take full responsibility for today's performance!

I expected more after the start of the season and reading/hearing all the optimism, so I'm pretty disappointed. Fair play to Yeovil, though. They were pretty toothless but made it tough.

I think the criticism of Taylor is pretty harsh. When did he actually get decent service, especially in the second half?! there was no attempt to attack down the left-hand side for most of the match.

I thought Lee/Jones linked up well in the first half, but in the second half they started to panic that we weren't breaking through.

I thought the passing was okay today, but the bottom line is we didn't get the ball into their area enough (especially in the second half).

I liked the look of Kelly when he came on, thought he looked mobile and held the ball up well.

I was disappointed with Stephens, but I think he found it tough against their two terriers in the centre mid.

Overall, I think it was a reality check. Two evenly matched sides who will probably finish in mid-table.

Disappointing but not a disaster.

We missed him because he brings the ball down and puts on the floor to the midfield. I thought Mvoto was either hoofing it to or past the forwards or back to Brill

Spot on, missing Jarrett and that was the difference for me today. Feeney looked poor and Bembo linked the play much better and Taylor needs to stay out wide because we lacked width with him taking it upon himself to constantly wander inside which left us lop-sided and forever having play down the right. But that's what you get with a team of kids - world beaters one week, average the next. Can't believe some of the criticism on here.

Edited by oafcprozac

we just couldnt break them down.

nothing to worry about though its only 4games into the season.

some people make me laugh. calling taylor and smalley

both have just come back from injury give them a chance!

Im sorry but that doesnt hold water with me.Taylor was absolutely appalling last season and folk were quick to blame his string of 'injuries'.

Is this back from injury crap going to be the line this season to?