Not much of a goal threat but retains possession well I feel when he is on the pitch by on the whole keeping things simple.

I worry that the crowd may get on his back though if he doesn't score soon or has an off game so should Dickov be careful with how much he plays him?

No, PD dropped his first Bollock on Saturday by playing the unfit and off the pace Feeney, whilst knowing he would be missing for the next two. I reckon we'll see a marked improvement in A. Link-up play and B. movement tonight (AND Saturday)

Edited by oafcprozac

Not much of a goal threat but retains possession well I feel when he is on the pitch by on the whole keeping things simple.

I worry that the crowd may get on his back though if he doesn't score soon or has an off game so should Dickov be careful with how much he plays him?

Doesn't score soon? Considering he hasn't played much in the first team fold and has already scored against Scunthorpe this season, I doubt there is much threat of the fans getting on his back.

No, PD dropped his first Bollock on Saturday by playing the unfit and off the pace Feeney, whilst knowing he would be missing for the next two. I reckon we'll see a marked improvement in A. Link-up play and B. movement tonight (AND Saturday)

have to say i said as much on saturday....jarrett was an enforced one so not much choice,and i suppose if allessandras not ready taylor was enforced,personally i think it be a good idea to give kelly a start tonight with dj,bring tounakare on if were struggling.....

3 key points from Sat; involving 3 players who as pre-season started I really didn’t see as being ‘key’ at all.

Bembo-Lita was dropped for Feeney.

Jason Jarrett was suspended & in cam M’Voto.

Lewis Alice out injured and Taylor in his place.

A feature of our play in pre-season & in the 3 previous league games has been playing the ball from the back; on the deck & at a high pace into the midfield area. Then the midfield through quickly to the strikers; still on the deck; 1 & 2 touch passes opening up space in the final third.

Jarrett has been key to this; as the ball playing centre back; the one in the back line who links the midfield. With Jarrett comfortable to bring the ball up beyond the halfway line; it allows the central midfield pair to be 20 / 30 yards further up the pitch.

Bembo-Lita’s hold up / link up play has been a revelation; his movement has created space for Stephens & Furman to fill; and his 1 & 2 touch link passes has opened up the defence on numerous occasions.

Granted Lewis missed the Charlton game; but prior to that; he displayed some clever positional sense in his new position; keeping wide & offering an outlet; a threat and us a left hand side to utilise and attack down.

On sat; Taylor drifted; as he does; inside far too often and so our option down the left flank disappeared.

Feeney had a poor game and wasn’t able to link the play in any way; shape or form & M’Voto; whilst relatively solid defensively; is not an ‘on the deck’ player. Furman & Stephens were having to come 30 yards deeper to take the ball from him; meaning they weren’t in the positions they have recently found themselves in. When they turned; the gap between them & the 2 up top was too great for a quick 1 touch give and go type pass so it ruled out a big slice of our recent play. Because M’Voto (& Hazell; though he is much improved in this respect) isn’t as comfortable a passer; he tended to panic and look long (though BB1980 assessment that it’s the most long balls in recent seasons is laughable!), meaning Oumare was having to go for headers; instead of the ball coming into his feet.

I think that with Jarrett coming back in a CB; and D.B.L coming in for Feeney; we should see a return to the play we have witnessed over pre-season & Vs Tranmere, Notts County & Charlton. As for wide left; Taylor needs to be told to get chalk on his boots and stay left. He needs games; fitness & confidence and to start to listen to the management team instead of ignoring them like on sat.

3 key points from Sat; involving 3 players who as pre-season started I really didn’t see as being ‘key’ at all.

Bembo-Lita was dropped for Feeney.

Jason Jarrett was suspended & in cam M’Voto.

Lewis Alice out injured and Taylor in his place.

A feature of our play in pre-season & in the 3 previous league games has been playing the ball from the back; on the deck & at a high pace into the midfield area. Then the midfield through quickly to the strikers; still on the deck; 1 & 2 touch passes opening up space in the final third.

Jarrett has been key to this; as the ball playing centre back; the one in the back line who links the midfield. With Jarrett comfortable to bring the ball up beyond the halfway line; it allows the central midfield pair to be 20 / 30 yards further up the pitch.

Bembo-Lita’s hold up / link up play has been a revelation; his movement has created space for Stephens & Furman to fill; and his 1 & 2 touch link passes has opened up the defence on numerous occasions.

Granted Lewis missed the Charlton game; but prior to that; he displayed some clever positional sense in his new position; keeping wide & offering an outlet; a threat and us a left hand side to utilise and attack down.

On sat; Taylor drifted; as he does; inside far too often and so our option down the left flank disappeared.

Feeney had a poor game and wasn’t able to link the play in any way; shape or form & M’Voto; whilst relatively solid defensively; is not an ‘on the deck’ player. Furman & Stephens were having to come 30 yards deeper to take the ball from him; meaning they weren’t in the positions they have recently found themselves in. When they turned; the gap between them & the 2 up top was too great for a quick 1 touch give and go type pass so it ruled out a big slice of our recent play. Because M’Voto (& Hazell; though he is much improved in this respect) isn’t as comfortable a passer; he tended to panic and look long (though BB1980 assessment that it’s the most long balls in recent seasons is laughable!), meaning Oumare was having to go for headers; instead of the ball coming into his feet.

I think that with Jarrett coming back in a CB; and D.B.L coming in for Feeney; we should see a return to the play we have witnessed over pre-season & Vs Tranmere, Notts County & Charlton. As for wide left; Taylor needs to be told to get chalk on his boots and stay left. He needs games; fitness & confidence and to start to listen to the management team instead of ignoring them like on sat.

This was always a risk in bringing Taylor back. Whilst his coming inside created our best two goal scoring chances we were left in the lurch by his wandering inside. I had a feeling we wouldn't look half as good once Taylor and his one man crusade returned. I hope Dickov has the balls to drop him if it continues. We looked unbalanced and after watching the full 90 minutes of the Charlton game it was very similar.

I too thought this was wrong and said that we were missing DJ's pace and workrate upfront. Our frontline dropped pretty deep and allowed their defenders and midfield too much time on the ball, in previous games DJ had chased them down and forced errors. I would definitely have started with DJ on Saturday and brought Feeney on if needed.

Hopefully DJ will bag tonight which should put Feeney on his toes and get him to up his game from the one we saw on Saturday. If Feeney wants his place in the Latics side he needs to bring a bit more to the party than he did on Saturday.

This was always a risk in bringing Taylor back. Whilst his coming inside created our best two goal scoring chances we were left in the lurch by his wandering inside. I had a feeling we wouldn't look half as good once Taylor and his one man crusade returned. I hope Dickov has the balls to drop him if it continues. We looked unbalanced and after watching the full 90 minutes of the Charlton game it was very similar.

Spot on sly, those 3 changes in personnel were key. All can retain possesion of the ball and move it around when needed. Jarrett is a great option at the back as a lot does go through him. Whilst Kelly had a good cameo I'd go with Bembo up front and change any time from 45 mins on depending on the game.

I'd like to see Lewi back in the team also, much more effective than Taylor so far and was definately in on merit.

I too thought this was wrong and said that we were missing DJ's pace and workrate upfront. Our frontline dropped pretty deep and allowed their defenders and midfield too much time on the ball, in previous games DJ had chased them down and forced errors. I would definitely have started with DJ on Saturday and brought Feeney on if needed.

Hopefully DJ will bag tonight which should put Feeney on his toes and get him to up his game from the one we saw on Saturday. If Feeney wants his place in the Latics side he needs to bring a bit more to the party than he did on Saturday.

What disappointed me, was that the two friendlies I saw, the Notts County game and the video of Charlton - we were consistently first to the ball and first in winning the second balls too. On Saturday we looked sluggish and off the pace. Kalala won everything and we sat far deeper than we have previously. As Dickov has said when we are not at it from the first minute we are not half as good as we think.

For us to win games, we have to have that work-ethic. Taylor to me does not subscribe to the hard work ethic that's needed - the guy's a luxury player.

What disappointed me, was that the two friendlies I saw, the Notts County game and the video of Charlton - we were consistently first to the ball and first in winning the second balls too. On Saturday we looked sluggish and off the pace. Kalala won everything and we sat far deeper than we have previously. As Dickov has said when we are not at it from the first minute we are not half as good as we think.

For us to win games, we have to have that work-ethic. Taylor to me does not subscribe to the hard work ethic that's needed - the guy's a luxury player.

only back from injury, give him time, he showed glimpses of what he can do

plus feeney is not fully fit as well.

only back from injury, give him time, he showed glimpses of what he can do

plus feeney is not fully fit as well.

But will he work as hard as required? Feeney will, undoutedly. Will Taylor be able to be disciplined enough to do the job of a winger or will he continue trying to win the game on his own? (Forever going inside, losing the ball - then out of position..)

But will he work as hard as required? Feeney will, undoutedly. Will Taylor be able to be disciplined enough to do the job of a winger or will he continue trying to win the game on his own? (Forever going inside, losing the ball - then out of position..)

taylor wont listen because he thinks he is by far the best player on the pitch,he didnt even aknowledge taggert attempts to get him to stay out wide on saturday,hence gt turning to dickov and shrugging his shoulders.he thinks he knows best.

forget all the bollox of not being fit and only just returning....he has a serious problem,he is most definatley a weak link and brings down the whole mood of the squad,look how quickly it changed after he went off..

imho he has tonight and saturday to prove himself or show a willing tolisten and learn,if not adios,we dont need to carry anybody this season

taylor wont listen because he thinks he is by far the best player on the pitch,he didnt even aknowledge taggert attempts to get him to stay out wide on saturday,hence gt turning to dickov and shrugging his shoulders.he thinks he knows best.

forget all the bollox of not being fit and only just returning....he has a serious problem,he is most definatley a weak link and brings down the whole mood of the squad,look how quickly it changed after he went off..

imho he has tonight and saturday to prove himself or show a willing tolisten and learn,if not adios,we dont need to carry anybody this season

From the sounds of it, he needs a good punch...

Seriosuly though, this thread is one of the best on OWTB for what seems like an eternity.

Good analyisis of the players strengths and weaknesses without resorting to slagging off.

Gives us not going to the game an excellent image.

Will be intrestnig to see tonight, which will also gveus a good indicator how PD handles the issues that have bedevilled the squad for a number of years now, that presumably are a feature of other League One teams.

But after tonight it can’t be adios until 1st Jan 2011; other than on loan to a League 1 or 2 side after a 2 week gap or whatever it is; and for no longer than 3months. If he was to go; we’d have to wait till Jan to get a fee; and if he’s not playing; he’s not likely to attract any clubs to buy him.

Massive, massive season for CT this one. If he can recapture the form he has shown in ‘purple patches’ previously; on a consistent basis; then we have one of the leagues best. If he continues in the recent vein; then quite frankly; Lewis appears to the better bet on the left and we’d be best shot of him; latics fan or not. I hope; I really do; that he locates his talent again and starts to listen to the coaches who have been there & done it a level he can only dream about at present.

From the sounds of it, he needs a good punch...

Seriosuly though, this thread is one of the best on OWTB for what seems like an eternity.

Good analyisis of the players strengths and weaknesses without resorting to slagging off.

Gives us not going to the game an excellent image.

Will be intrestnig to see tonight, which will also gveus a good indicator how PD handles the issues that have bedevilled the squad for a number of years now, that presumably are a feature of other League One teams.

Enjoying talking about tactics & players without it drifting off into other areas; like how good Ronnie Moore actually was and the like.... :wink:

Edited by slystallone

But after tonight it can’t be adios until 1st Jan 2011; other than on loan to a League 1 or 2 side after a 2 week gap or whatever it is; and for no longer than 3months. If he was to go; we’d have to wait till Jan to get a fee; and if he’s not playing; he’s not likely to attract any clubs to buy him.

Massive, massive season for CT this one. If he can recapture the form he has shown in ‘purple patches’ previously; on a consistent basis; then we have one of the leagues best. If he continues in the recent vein; then quite frankly; Lewis appears to the better bet on the left and we’d be best shot of him; latics fan or not. I hope; I really do; that he locates his talent again and starts to listen to the coaches who have been there & done it a level he can only dream about at present.

i agree he will not be able to leave until january...but i cant for the life of me think why he would continue to get game time when he doesnt epitamise everything pd has said and asked for from his players...maybe sending him out on loan would be a better option,give him some proper game time elswhere so as to not disrupt or games and training....then he either comes back something like we are used to seeing,or he goes fullstop.

allessandra is by far the better option when fit...if not give smalley a go at it...he has bags of pace,just needs to learn how to look up and pass/cross it in..

that did my nut in when he should be hogging the touchline, because down the left there was alot of space for him to exploit, id rather give him 4/5 games before seeing how he is doing

if he doesnt work hard then he wont get in the team, so let him decide.

Taylor doesn't have a hard work ethic? Taylor thinks he's best player on the pitch?

What utter nonsense!

All I think Taylor needs is TIME and a spell without injury. 2 games isn't time.

I think your all going way over the top regarding Taylor. It's not a big season for him but he does need to improve.

If Taylor's going to play it has to be on the right.

He only ever moved to the left to fill a gap but it now seems to be forgotton that he's naturally a wide right player. He cuts inside because whilst playing on the left has improved his left foot he still much prefers to use his right.

If he was moved back out to the right he would spend much more time on the wing because he'd be more confident in beating the man and whipping in a right footed cross. He'd also still have the option to worry defences by cutting in as he has a better left foot than your average league one right winger.

As for his perceived attitude problems the only way to sort them out is to make absolutely sure he only plays on merit and treat him no differently to every other member of the squad. If he still doesn't work hard enough & fit into this new team come January then maybe the time really will have come to cash in on him before we're stuck with a highly paid player that we don't need or even want.

i agree he will not be able to leave until january...but i cant for the life of me think why he would continue to get game time when he doesnt epitamise everything pd has said and asked for from his players...maybe sending him out on loan would be a better option,give him some proper game time elswhere so as to not disrupt or games and training....then he either comes back something like we are used to seeing,or he goes fullstop.

allessandra is by far the better option when fit...if not give smalley a go at it...he has bags of pace,just needs to learn how to look up and pass/cross it in..

I wrote LA off from the last 2 seasons as he didnt look interested or capable but he has proved me wrong! I will hold my hand up now he has proved me wrong and at the moment I would much rather he was on the left than CT.

Ive always thought Smalley looks like he has the most potential of the 3 of them, if he can add consistency to his game. Some weeks he is immense, others he is non existent.