Joe Jacobson

Can't fail to see your point Sly, but if a player looks particularly good he ought to be signed at all costs as that's the best type of investment a football club can make.

A good signing can impact revenue as well as expenditure.

I 100% agree with you there Mr Stitch; if a player comes along who will add value to the 1st X1; then where possible a deal should be looked into.....should being the key word there.

What I’m saying is; regardless of how well or not this French CB may have played in the reserve game last night; If the club cannot afford to offer a full time deal; even a 6 month one the likes of which have been offered to Kelly; MacDonald & Jarrett; to “Rodders” Dikaba; when it appears PD really wants him; then I just simply cannot see how we’ll be able to magic up a nice shinny deal for the French CB; when from all angels we’re being told that the cupboard is bare financially wise.

I’m all for trials; as I say – but they seem to be to no end if there aren’t any funds with which to do anything with should the trialist impress during their stay.

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

In that case trials are a waste of time, no matter how good the player (and he was good).

Unless Gregan's time is done...and we agree on a settlement, leaving a bit for us to offer Cherel a deal. I can't see why we'd be bringing in another defender (Hazell, Jarrett, Mvoto, McDonald, Carr) otherwise.

Unless Gregan's time is done...and we agree on a settlement, leaving a bit for us to offer Cherel a deal. I can't see why we'd be bringing in another defender (Hazell, Jarrett, Mvoto, McDonald, Carr) otherwise.

With respect Cherel looks just what Latics need for the long term, (Gregan fitness problems, Hazell injury worries, Mvoto on loan, Jarrett and McDonald on a short term contracts and Carr not quite ready) a commanding centre back with pace, you won't find many of his quality at this stage of the season.

With respect Cherel looks just what Latics need for the long term, (Gregan fitness problems, Hazell injury worries, Mvoto on loan, Jarrett and McDonald on a short term contracts and Carr not quite ready) a commanding centre back with pace, you won't find many of his quality at this stage of the season.

True and with Gregan, add in the wages and that's why I can see him being the one to move on. The one main thing Cherel showed last night was pace. Like :censored: off a shovel...he'll be the quickest CB we've got if he comes on board.

True and with Gregan, add in the wages and that's why I can see him being the one to move on. The one main thing Cherel showed last night was pace. Like :censored: off a shovel...he'll be the quickest CB we've got if he comes on board.

Yes, I thought that the 50 yards he covered getting back to his position put him on the short list for the French Olympics sprint team, I couldn't believe my eyes, for someone at 6' 5" that was some pace. :shock:

Edited by BP1960

JJ barring injuries is a top left back in league one, ok if he cant play at left back lets have a left footed winger, im sure he will do a good job for us.

im just baffled to see him on the transfer list

I agree. Never had a problem with him in the team. JJ and PB covering ALL the left side, for me. Can both go forward AND cross a ball

I didn’t go last night so I can’t really comment on this French lad, but it does surprise me that people seem instantly won over after one game. I was trying to find out a bit about his history and noted he signed for Hartlepool in September last year, after similarly impressing for their reserves, then went on to play for them once all season.

He’s played for a couple of French clubs before that but I can’t find any appearance details, but I’ve never heard of either of them. At 27 he’s hardly set the football world alight. OK, I know that’s why he’s on trial here, but he may have just pulled out all the stops last night as many do when they’re trying to win a contract. Fair enough, you can only go off what you’ve seen, but if there is the remote chance that we could sign him (which I doubt given our financial position) I would hope they see a lot more of him rather than making a snap decision after one game, as some seem to be advocating.

I didn’t go last night so I can’t really comment on this French lad, but it does surprise me that people seem instantly won over after one game. I was trying to find out a bit about his history and noted he signed for Hartlepool in September last year, after similarly impressing for their reserves, then went on to play for them once all season.

He’s played for a couple of French clubs before that but I can’t find any appearance details, but I’ve never heard of either of them. At 27 he’s hardly set the football world alight. OK, I know that’s why he’s on trial here, but he may have just pulled out all the stops last night as many do when they’re trying to win a contract. Fair enough, you can only go off what you’ve seen, but if there is the remote chance that we could sign him (which I doubt given our financial position) I would hope they see a lot more of him rather than making a snap decision after one game, as some seem to be advocating.

Agree about Cherel, but tbh who'd heard of Stam or Baudet? If Gregan retires or not I think we've enough cover at CB as it stands and I thought young McDonald did ok Tuesday night following on from a decent pre-season. As for Dikaba I really don't think we should be pushing the boat out for this lad, no matter how good he looks. (I thought he was no better than what we've got) That's life and it's just tough tits sometimes that you can't always get what you want. I'd much rather the club be offering Jarrett another 18 months...

Edited by oafcprozac

Agree about Cherel, but tbh who'd heard of Stam or Baudet? If Gregan retires or not I think we've enough cover at CB as it stands and I thought young McDonald did ok Tuesday night following on from a decent pre-season. As for Dikaba I really don't think we should be pushing the boat out for this lad, no matter how good he looks. (I thought he was no better than what we've got) That's life and it's just tough tits sometimes that you can't always get what you want. I'd much rather the club be offering Jarrett another 18 months...

This /\

If notice was taken on past records many a great players wouldn't have been unearthed.

Who would have bought a striker with a record of 4 years at St Albans and Arsley Town scoring only 19 goals in 99 games, or a stiker who scored only 17 goals in 114 games over a 6 year period at Leyton Orient, Grays and Aldershot ?

Yet Peterborough took a chance on Craig Mackail-Smith and Aaron McLean who have been prolific goalscorers for them since.

Statistics can be compelling, but are not the only way to judge a player.

Edited by BP1960

Who would have bought a striker with a record of 4 years at St Albans and Arsley Town scoring only 19 goals in 99 games, or a stiker who scored only 17 goals in 114 games over a 6 year period at Leyton Orient, Grays and Aldershot ?

Yet Peterborough took a chance on Craig Mackail-Smith and Aaron McLean who have been prolific goalscorers for them since.

Gary Hooper's another case in point 35 goals in 125 games (more than half of appearances and goals in the Conference) Scunny lose Billy Sharp, push the boat out for this relative unknown, bangs in 43 in 80, shooting them to promotion and more than holding his own in the Championship.

That's one thing I agree with Playitlivo (6 consecutive seasons of our top scorer leaving, Killen, Beckett, Porter, Davies, Hughes, Abbott = 101 goals losing 101 goals for less than £100k

The directors of this club club haven' the bollocks to hold onto its talented forwards, allowing them to leave limply...without a fight then moaning like fook when their reactiveness proves too late and they walk away. Scunny averaged smaller crowds than us yet still pissed the league. Why, because they took a gamble on strikers with prowess.

Paul Hayes

Stephen Maclean

Billy Sharp

Gary Hooper

Chris Dagnall

They even had the audacity to take a gamble on the unknown Jermaine Beckford, we gambled on :censored: aka Glombard

Sharp, Hooper and Dagnall all similar types of player and will all bag for fun.

I reckon Scunny's budget in 06/07 was nowhere near ours, but we thought it better to allow the management to collect midfielders...when in reality we were only 8-10 goals away from promotion.

I still want to know, why of the budget was agreed in May for the coming year why £445K in transfer fees (£375 for Eaves, £25k for the kid and £45K for Abbott) has been swallowed up by running costs? It stinks!*

* Yes I know we're in the :censored: come next summer, but even then there'll be in the region of a budget of £900k+ (ST's, TV Money, Sponsorship (if the marketing ethos gets its finger from up its arse), shirt-sales, souvenirs, match-day income etc, etc....and no doubt another few player sales and the fact we only have 8 contracted players come June. A

So we'll hardly be insolvent providing Uncle Simon B doesn't call in his loans...

Edited by oafcprozac

I still want to know, why of the budget was agreed in May for the coming year why £445K in transfer fees (£375 for Eaves, £25k for the kid and £45K for Abbott) has been swallowed up by running costs. It stinks!*

* Yes I know we're in the :censored: come next summer, but even then there'll be in the region of a budget of £900k+ (ST's, TV Money, Sponsorship (if the marketing ethos gets its finger from up its arse), shirt-sales, souvenirs, match-day income etc, etc....

So we'll hardly be insolvent providing Uncle Simon B doesn't call in his loans...

I think the problem is an over sized squad which could be leaner and meaner targeting the areas of most concern (regular scoring strikers), however its not the current manager's fault as he inherited most of them and he will have to be given time to mould his own team.

On the subject of Jacobson he's shown he's willing to fight for a first team place even though transfer listed and should now IMO be included in the managers future plans.

I think the problem is an over sized squad which could be leaner and meaner targeting the areas of most concern (regular scoring strikers), however its not the current manager's fault as he inherited most of them and he will have to be given time to mould his own team.

On the subject of Jacobson he's shown he's willing to fight for a first team place even though transfer listed and should now IMO be included in the managers future plans.

I don't blame any manager for our failings over the last 6 years. (I did) But slowly but surely I've realised there's been one constant...

The squad is bloated but only 8 are contracted beyond the end of the season, then there's Kelly and Jarrett only here until January and Millar, Brooke, McGrath, Ollerenshaw, Black, DJ etc.. will be on peanuts. And time for Liverpool to look after their own Hungarians.

Time to weigh up a settlement for Worthington, Purdie (shame but that's life), Lomax, Fleming and possibly Smalley and Holdsworth. If they'll accept 50% (3-4 months pay for sod all) of their contract that frees up that money to bring in two quality players. Whether any of those players have the morals to do that, as they know they are going to sit and rot picking their pay cheque up for very little work, i'm not so sure.

Edited by oafcprozac

I'm sure they had a good look at those players first though, and didn't just sign them because they saw them once and they had a good game, when the rest of their career amounted to zilch.

I've no problem with us taking a chance on someone unproven, but it always baffles me when people say 'Sign him up' after one viewing.

I'm sure they had a good look at those players first though, and didn't just sign them because they saw them once and they had a good game, when the rest of their career amounted to zilch.

I've no problem with us taking a chance on someone unproven, but it always baffles me when people say 'Sign him up' after one viewing.

Maclean, Boyd and Mckail-Smith cost well over £500k between them, sadly well out of our league.

It's fair comment that...but there's a but...

Knowing me personally, you know I've seen many friendlies in the past and some reserve games over the years. I've seen some good performancs and thought to myself, I wouldn't mind another look at him. Like Dikabe in pre-season. In contrast, I'd say that Cherels performance was probably one of the best, if not the best, performance I've ever seen from a triallist. It was THAT good...composed at all times, talkative, tidy, commanding. He ticked every box for me...and the sign him up comes from the fact that if we don't, someone else will and quick. Not sure why it never worked out for him at Hartlepool and yeah, it could be a 1 game wonder (we've seen a few do that.) Hope not though.

Edited by boundaryblue80

Not sure why it never worked out for him at Hartlepool.

He's French ain't he, he was probably worried they would try to hang him. :getmecoat:

Hartlepool ain't the nicest place to live, he might have had trouble with the missus, there are loads of reasons why a player doesn't make it somewhere which have absolutely nothing to do with football. Here we already have a couple of Frenchies knocking around (so can help him settle in), plus I think Bembo might know a bit of French.

I still want to know, why of the budget was agreed in May for the coming year why £445K in transfer fees (£375 for Eaves, £25k for the kid and £45K for Abbott) has been swallowed up by running costs? It stinks!*

* Yes I know we're in the :censored: come next summer, but even then there'll be in the region of a budget of £900k+ (ST's, TV Money, Sponsorship (if the marketing ethos gets its finger from up its arse), shirt-sales, souvenirs, match-day income etc, etc....and no doubt another few player sales and the fact we only have 8 contracted players come June. A

We don't know though that the budget in May didn't include the expected income from these transfers.