EDL/NF burning the Koran

rosa

Someone on Facebook is saying that the EDL/NF are in Oldham town centre and by the Asda in Chadderton, burning the Koran and generally kicking off. Any truth in this? Sounds like a bad weekend might be about to get much worse.

Someone on Facebook is saying that the EDL/NF are in Oldham town centre and by the Asda in Chadderton, burning the Koran and generally kicking off. Any truth in this? Sounds like a bad weekend might be about to get much worse.

someone on fb today was talking about it too

someone on fb today was talking about it too

ii seen about 20 of them gettin body searched on broadway at the lights with middleton rd around 2 oclock,felt sorry for the wedding going on outside st herberts with 4 riot vans and half the mcr old bill present when i was drivin past,i wondered what was going on in quiet chadd ha ha

The EDL laid a wreath in remembrance of those who died on 9/ll at the war memorial in Oldham, no books were burnt. The EDL in chadderton were prevented from walking to Oldham centre by the police and were ordered to disperse, they were in Chadderton because Oldhams nearest train station is now Mills Hill. As far as im aware there was no NF around.

Going off on a little tangent now, but looking through some YouTube vids of the edl recently there was an ' Oldham division' flag or two on quite a few of them and also the Born In England, Live in England.....flag....looked exactly like the one that has been at Oldham games but didn't have any Latics stuff on it

I thought war memorials were for the fallen in all wars.

In any case, I didn't realise that any British servicemen or women were killed on 11 September 2001.

Well, it is a war - and any Brits in TTT were fallen - so I guess you can make a more than tenuous link.

NB. I'm thinking of burning some bibles. I just don't have the room on my bookshelf. Can I be on TV?

I thought war memorials were for the fallen in all wars.

In any case, I didn't realise that any British servicemen or women were killed on 11 September 2001.

I guess originally most were set up in memorial of WW1 dead although they have come to stand for those in later conflicts. But agreed, they weren't put there for multinational bankers, cleaners and pizza delievery people.

It's not a war and it's an exceptionally tenuous link. Acts of terrorism are not acts of war, there's a very distinct difference.

The one's I came across in Oldham centre yesterday were absolute pond life, one pissed up knuckle dragger was talking to a 'well-up for it, commando copper' - "I'm not looking for trouble but i'll be ready for it..." Had one drink and sodded off back down to Royton, spoilt my afternoon and cost the three of us triple the cost of our beer. Can I bill the EDL for taxi fares and excessive alcohol prices?

Didn't have the balls to march up Park Road did they?

It's not a war and it's an exceptionally tenuous link. Acts of terrorism are not acts of war, there's a very distinct difference.

By going abroad and fighting them we made that an act of war, which we are still fighting.

They weren't servicemen, but it's like those that died in the blitz. It's fair to recognise them.

Having said that, having seen the EDL in their glory in Durham (which was bizarre to say the least - fighting the 1% ethnic minorities) I think we can say that recognising anyone was the least of their priorities.

By going abroad and fighting them we made that an act of war, which we are still fighting.

They weren't servicemen, but it's like those that died in the blitz. It's fair to recognise them.

Having said that, having seen the EDL in their glory in Durham (which was bizarre to say the least - fighting the 1% ethnic minorities) I think we can say that recognising anyone was the least of their priorities.

I appreciate what you're saying, but the act of Terrorism, that was the attack on the WTC, led to the Wars in Afghanistan and Iraq. It was not an act of war and certainly didn't take place during a war. You can get into the legality and morality of those wars and question if they should be defined in such a way but that's a side issue.

The fact remains that you can't look back on a terrorist act and declare it an act of war just to suit your political or ideological needs.

Terrorism: The calculated use of violence (or the threat of violence) against civilians in order to attain goals that are political or religious or ideological in nature; this is done through intimidation or coercion or instilling fear.

War: A legal state created by a declaration of war and ended by official declaration during which the international rules of war apply.

Either way I think we're both agreed that the EDL can't be described in words suitable for this board!

I appreciate what you're saying, but the act of Terrorism, that was the attack on the WTC, led to the Wars in Afghanistan and Iraq. It was not an act of war and certainly didn't take place during a war. You can get into the legality and morality of those wars and question if they should be defined in such a way but that's a side issue.

The fact remains that you can't look back on a terrorist act and declare it an act of war just to suit your political or ideological needs.

Terrorism: The calculated use of violence (or the threat of violence) against civilians in order to attain goals that are political or religious or ideological in nature; this is done through intimidation or coercion or instilling fear.

War: A legal state created by a declaration of war and ended by official declaration during which the international rules of war apply.

Either way I think we're both agreed that the EDL can't be described in words suitable for this board!

Bin Laden declared war against America in 1996 (I guess that's just a little while after they trained him to kill), before multiple fatwa's. They just chose not to recognise it seriously then. In his view this was like the blitz which we legitamise.

The only thing is the 'state' side of thing. But to be fair, that's just arrogant bollocks on our behalf.